Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #1

Speeding

Has anyone driving a class A been stopped for speeding?
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen them pulled over, but wouldn't guess what for.

I use the little button called cruise control. Its set for 60 or whatever speed limit is if lower. I stay in my comfort zone.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

Inquiring minds want to know...
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #5

Perhaps. Especially those that have not discovered that speeding is not a skill.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I may get stopped for going too slow, but not for speeding!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Common sense and fuel mileage go together. So if you travel at 55 to 60 mph then the you can see the sights and conserve on fuel.

Give yourself a break and realize that the faster you go the less you see and the less you can handle your rig if you get into a situation.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

A fellow RVer in my winter park was stopped/ticketed in CA, in his coach and was whining about the $750 fine.
I cross examined him until he admitted, to doing 80 in a 70 zone on I-5 while towing ; truck and, all vehicles towing, limit is 55 in CA for those of you who don't drive there; a fellow Canadian got a similar fine with his 5th wheel.
Many avoid CA. because of the limit and level of enforcement, I'm at 58 to hold 6th gear, and get my best mileage, so it's not an issue.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #9

Proud to say I have, doing 62 in a 55. Not everyone is retired with nowhere to go!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Proud to say I have, doing 62 in a 55. Not everyone is retired with nowhere to go!

I'm retired , with somewhere to go , when on the highway ; just figure my coach has a radar signature about the same as a 747, and it's not like you can, race down the road, find a turn off, and hide in the bushes.
Not that I know anyone who's ever done that.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It happens... I even know of a driver (Name unknown or rather forgotten) who's live may well have been saved by his motor home.. EVEN though he was not involved in an accident of any kind.. But that is another story for another place. (Already told).

Oh, Short version: HE had a medical problem,, Went into distress and a trooper stopped to help him.. Got him to hospital treated and sent home (IN good shape).... Got into medical distress again.. pulled over same as first time.. When First Trooper heard the vehicle description he told 2nd what to do.. Got him to hospital (Same) again with same results.

Could have turned out much different.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #12

Well, I am too cheap to be speeding on a normal highway preferring to limit myself to 60. My mileage just goes to pot when I go faster. (And I notice I get to caravan with a lot of FedEx trucks that are doing the same thing.)

But some of these construction zones that go on for 16 miles with a 45 MPH limit with nothing but cones (no workers at all) just drive me nuts. I am very careful and keep a watchful eye when I am driving through one. So far, so good.

And I am way too heavy to go above limits when I am in towns. There are just too many stupid people who like to cut in front of you or pull out with little room to spare. It is just easier on the wife and I when we take our time going through towns.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #13

Getting older and cheap results in changes.

Our old jeep still has get up and go but why...

In town driving trick I now use is to try to keep under 2k rpm always and let it go to maybe 3 sometimes.

Causes a little slower acceleration but we get to the next red light just a bit later and the mileage sure is better.

Cruising along with the trucks gets a couple more mpg and less need to watch for chp and per the gps arrival time suggestions not much different.

Yes we can gain on the gps but one ticket and any savings are gone along with your wallet.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I may get stopped for going too slow, but not for speeding!
X2:
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote