Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Adding a TPMS to the MH has really taken off a ton of tire pressure checking and adjusting. All I need to do now is cycle through the monitor for each tire which takes about 10-20 seconds total time. You wouldn't know about a slow leak until it was far too gone or just before leaving without the monitoring system. The TPMS will not help to air them up, but they make the job of checking a snap.

Sorry you have to live with back issues. It's no fun, I'm sure. Words might be easy for me to say, but get lean and mean will go a long way.

While we are on the fitness topic: I don't know any veggie people who are exceedingly overweight. Anytime I see someone overweight, I can just assume they are big meat eaters.

Meat by-products are ok.. Fish is good, even some poulty like turkey on an occasion. This is a whole other topic, but you are what you eat.

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hamguy,

Quote:
I can sit and drive just fine but walking/standing is a problem.
That's were I am now and also can not find any position to get a good nights sleep.

Good luck with the doctor appointment.

__________________________________________________ _________

I'm sure being over weight puts stress on every part of the body. I'm a little over weight and the older I get the harder it is to control. My body doesn't burn it up like it used too

I have been exercising and lifting weights just for toning, not ripping, for over 30 years to control arthritis and it helps staying fit. I have been plagued with bouts of sciatica for years but have been able to keep it under control with exercise. I also had a shoulder locked up for over tweny years and was able to regain full use of it with supplements and exercise and prayer

I'm hoping and praying that I can beat this latest episode without the operation. Only time will tell.

Ron

Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #17

I damaged my L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 in 2005. I used to be a Chief Engineer on a ATB (Large Sea Going Tug Barge Unit), we were undergoing engine repairs and a mechanic slipped and I ended up taking the weight of the part we were installing causing me to do this damage. I had surgery 12/05, a Laminotomy Microdiscectomy.

I have tried all types of therapy and finally my company sent me to a top Surgeon that told me that as long as I can stand to live they way that I am to NOT have anymore surgery as the outcome my make me worse off than I am now.

I do have nerve damage down both legs, but the prescriptions that I take do help.

Please get several opinions if you decide to go for any surgery.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I have a Dr. appointment tomorrow to talk about the likely stenosis in my back. I can sit and drive just fine but walking/standing is a problem. I fear surgery since I am a staff infection carrier (the nasty one) and I am afraid I will be unable to cure it sometime. I am also allergic to steroids.

Not a pleasant future, I fear!
I went to the surgeon. He says he can help me (barring problems). About 5 hours under the knife. Three days in the hosp and 5-6 weeks recovery. I want to talk to him and get specifics on what he plans to do and what side effects will I see.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #19

I was a carpenter in my 4th year of graduate school trying to stay afloat financially while attending MIT. One day a friend needed my help to install a 6 by14 glue lam 28 feet long. I was on a ladder guiding that beam into a pocket when the guy behind me slipped and fell into the guy helping behind him. I wet from guiding the beam that weighed 300LBS to carrying it on my shoulder with the ladder coming down. I was 24 years old. Every day from that moment to this, I have suffered with sciatica pain. I had surgery, steroid injections, physical therapy, accupuncture, pain meds that made me goofy, witch doctors, and nothing has worked. I now live in constant pain, taking presciption anti inflamatories that eat away my intestine and stomach. I certainly can sympathize. So far, the only thing that has helped is to lose any excess weight and exercise regularly. I'm now 56 years old and work as a senior researcher in pain management at U.C. Berkeley. I walk with a limp and use a cane to help steady myself and take pressure off the spine as I walk. I still suffer constant pain but I have gotten better at managing the pain and working smarter. I do nothing that can set my back off because I can never predict how bad it will be afterwards... a day or a month in bed. The most recent MRI shows much arthritis and stenosis in L5-S1 with the lamini scarred over completely. I keep taking the anti inflamatories and get on site injections of steroids if the pain breaks through to cause more pain then I can handle. The anti inflamatories, losing weight, and daily excercise, and keeping exceedingly active do more then all other cures combined, but most of all, learning to manage the disability and resulting pain.

Lose all the weigh you can, get off the drugs because long term they are harmful, and keep active and exercise every day. Yes, I have tried becoming a couch potatoe but that just makes my back worse. Fortunately I have a very supportive family and a good job that does not require as much physical strength as being a carpenter. After almost 27 years of research, ask me what I have learned? Answer: Don't get hurt!
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
hamguy,

Did you go to an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon?
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My doctor finally sent me to have Xrays made but they don't show anything but some degereration in the spine in the lumbar region.

I think I need a second opinion probably with some MRI's to see exactly where the problems is coming from.

So far I'm in my third week of recovery and I can at least now stand erect and walk, except with a slight limp from my left leg. My left leg feels numb from the knee down to my ankle. As long as I don't over do it I can get by without too many pain pills.

I'm hoping that it wont be too long before I can get back to my regular routine of exercise and weight lifting.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with their own stories and experience with this dehabiliting Spinal Stenosis. It is one of the most painful experiences I have ever had to endure.

If I can make it another 8 years before it returns I'll be 81, and that would be great

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
He is an orthopedic surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
hamguy,

Did you go to an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Fourth surgery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Here is the X Ray
I have to correct this post. I have now had a fourth back surgery. The third one which resulted in the fusion was done by a surgeon who put in a Harrington Rod. If you look at the picture you can see that the rod is mostly straight. This took the natural curve out of my back and caused me to walk bent forward. I consulted with another surgeon who does advanced spinal surgery and he said that the rod is no longer used because it causes FLAT BACK and this causes the patient a great amount of fatigue being bent over all the time. He did the fourth surgery by taking out the rod and all screws except for the bottom one. That screw was stripped and would not back out. At one point of the surgery, the surgeon called for the help of another surgeon because it was taking too long and they finished up at 8 hours. This time a different type of fixture was put in with a new type of rod and new screws. The new rod is bent as the screws go in to hold it so the natural curve of the back is established. A lot of scraping was done to the nerve canals because they were closing on the nerves. Blood during the procedure was filtered and cleansed and used over along with additional blood. The surgeon said the blood loss was high so they stopped the surgery at 8 hours. He was aiming for a 30 degree improvement, that means that I would be 30 degrees more upright. In the end they achieved 23 degrees. I have been bent over for 12 years so to walk straight was odd and I have to keep telling myself, "you can stand upright now." Leaning forward got to be a habit so I am realizing that I can stand straight and reminding myself to do so. Now I am still limited physically because of so much surgery, but I feel great. A persons spine cannot be replaced with a new one so surgical improvement is the only thing that can be done. After 12 years it is like a miracle! So, if you have back problems and it gets to the point that it affects your daily life, you have to find the surgeon who does advanced surgical procedures and really check into the surgeon's back ground and what schools and hospitals he attended. That's my story.
Happy trails, Joe
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #24

Before you consider surgery, do yourself a favor and look at the following website.You will learn that stenosis is not the problem. It is the result of another problem in your back- probably a muscle imbalance. So if you go thru an operation for the stenosis and STILL have muscle imbalance, your problems will come back. It happens all the time.
No kidding- look here first- there's a lot to learn. I'm speaking from my own experience with sciatia.
Lower Back Pain? Sciatica? Herniated Disc? Get LASTING Relief
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Google LYNX BACK STRETCHER. Best $99 you will ever spend. I got in mine last night.

Bad back for 14 years. Only thing that works. They said an operation will fix my back but it won't get rid of the pain. WHAT?

Here>>>Lynx™ Portable Back Stretcher
Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnstclr View Post
Before you consider surgery, do yourself a favor and look at the following website.You will learn that stenosis is not the problem. It is the result of another problem in your back- probably a muscle imbalance. So if you go thru an operation for the stenosis and STILL have muscle imbalance, your problems will come back. It happens all the time.
No kidding- look here first- there's a lot to learn. I'm speaking from my own experience with sciatia.
Lower Back Pain? Sciatica? Herniated Disc? Get LASTING Relief
All those books for FREE? There has to be a catch. Nothing is FREE!
No thanks. Joe
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Best of luck..My sis just had major back work. She fells great. Peace..D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Free book and five free DVDs

I should have said FREE Book and five FREE DVDs worth $125.95 for S&H of $5.95.
On top of that some of the S&H charge will be donated to charity! I haven't figured out what the catch is, but there has to be one.

It is Ironic that my checking account was just compromised. I was on the phone with my banks fraud department and while I was on hold I was reading about the site that dnstclr suggests we look at in post #24.