Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sprint Boat Races

Has any one been to or goes to St. Johns, Washington? We have been watching the Sprint Jet Boat Races on the tube. They are held there.You can see MH's that are in the background, and it looks like more MH than boats, so I wonder if there is a CG on site.?

FYI, the track is 15 feet wide and only 3 feet deep, Its a must see if your into racing boats.
Thanks, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Looks like there may be: camping

Nationals are supposed to be a few miles south of us here in Albany, Oregon this year. They don't have on-site camping here (track is in a pasture next to I-5) but there's a KOA and a fairly nice private CG (Blue Ox?) within 10 miles of the venue.

sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnettc View Post
Looks like there may be: camping

Nationals are supposed to be a few miles south of us here in Albany, Oregon this year. They don't have on-site camping here (track is in a pasture next to I-5) but there's a KOA and a fairly nice private CG (Blue Ox?) within 10 miles of the venue.
Wow cool thanks, I thought there would be more dates(only 2) this summer. Must be new and needs some advertising. We enjoy watching them on Sat morning. I have seen that there is another place in Cailf. I will check that one also. I'll try finding more info on the Nationals Thanks for the info.
Tim

ps have you gone to watch them or seen them on TV?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Wow cool thanks, I thought there would be more dates(only 2) this summer. Must be new and needs some advertising. We enjoy watching them on Sat morning. I have seen that there is another place in Cailf. I will check that one also. I'll try finding more info on the Nationals Thanks for the info.
Tim

ps have you gone to watch them or seen them on TV?

I have been to races at various locations they are fun to watch. Although it has been two years since I went to a race due to work conflicts on my part. Some of the tracks have closed down over the last few years. There always seems to be 3 or 4 tracks with 2 races each during the season here. Some tracks have onsite RV parking and some do not. In the middle of the season last year there was a split among the teams in the organization behind the races. You will see the USSBA and ASB associations now if you google sprint boat racing. Looks like St Johns aligned with the ASB and has races on 6/21 and 8/23 this year.

The St John track is a good track and does have space for RV camping. It is the only track that I have taken my RV to since the others are a day trip for me. The RV parking is without hook ups and amounts to several lines of RV's parked in the field. We arrived late Fri evening, watched the races Sat and left early Sun morning I think the cost was $20 for the RV. Race tickets were about $20.00 a piece as well. It was nice to be able to walk back to the RV to grab a bite, grab a drink, etc.

The other sites are close enough where we made a long day of it with coolers for food and drink.

I will actually be in state this year for one of the Port Angeles races so I should be able to attend the Aug race.

Mike
Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Last summer we went to the sprint boat races about 20 miles north of Eugene Oregon along I-5. It was an absolute blast. I lived fulltime on a boat for five years and had no idea you could do stuff like that on water. A great afternoon to say the least.

Oregon Jet Sprint | Jet Sprint Boat Racing
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks you guys you made my day, Big smile watching the videos on the Sprint Boat Races. I thought they were like 18 - 20 footers and they are only 13
I watched all the videos and then went on to the videos for Rapids racing,all I can say is wow.
I told the other 1/2 if we ever win the Lotto lets build a race track here in Minn. Of course there would be a nice size park for RV/MH all spots cement and level, opps starting to dream... We start fulltimming next Oct - Nov so we will have too watch them on the tube until summer of 15.
Thanks again for the info,
Tim
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 AM   #7

Spritz, we haven't been to the races down the road yet. I keep a sailboat at Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene and usually remember about the sprint boats as I'm driving to the lake. I-5 southbound slows waaay down for the lookey-loo's on race day, so if I see the traffic in time I'll take Hwy 99 instead.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnettc View Post
Spritz, we haven't been to the races down the road yet. I keep a sailboat at Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene and usually remember about the sprint boats as I'm driving to the lake. I-5 southbound slows waaay down for the lookey-loo's on race day, so if I see the traffic in time I'll take Hwy 99 instead.
I take it you don't care for them?
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #9

I think they're crazy and I'd love to photograph them. Just seems like we always have a conflict or commitment to sail with guests planned for the 2 weekends a year when they race.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got done watching the repeats for the last 3 weekends but am still seeing things i didn't see before so they are still fun.
Do you do Lake sailing or ocean? We tried it down in Rotan on the Caribbean, now that was just beautiful, if I remember it was on like a 50 ft Sail boat. Great time getting a tan.
Tim
Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #11

We mostly lake sail on a 3 mi x 7 mi reservoir about 45 minutes from home. We have towed the boat up to the San Juan Islands in Washington twice. It's a beautiful area but definitely not warm water like the Caribbean.

We spent a week up there in 2010 and did a week-long group cruise with 4 other boats last summer. Cruising on a 22 foot sailboat is kind of like boondocking with one of those little bullet trailers. We've got an alcohol stove, propane bbq, luggable loo with wag bags, and a 105 AH Group 27 battery that I keep charged with a 20w solar panel.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like fun.
I used to have a 18 ft Speed Boat and kept it on the Mississippi and went every weekend, full canvas/screens so I could sleep on it. I used the Boss's pottie.
We usually Left Mpls and went to Lacrosse Wis for the 4th of July for years. Boats ranging 18 up to a 42fter, about 7-8 boats. Just like motor homing, we boondock as I know it today and then we would stay in a marina once in a while get water and dump. And of coarse Gas.
We looked at getting back into boating again before finding my Pace Arrow, and well the rest is History as they say.
Going to sell the S&B and going to go to Full time by next winter I mean before WINTER.

Take Care, Tim
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #13

Lots of parallels between boating and RVing, especially boondocking and the expense. What's the RV equivalent of "a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money?"

We never did the power boat thing beyond skiffs, though my grandfather had a 25' Lyman wooden runabout that I'd love to have in restored condition now. Big old inboard, lots of varnish, don't think we ever got it up on plane more than once though. It's also the only boat I've ever fallen overboard from. Luckily Mom caught my ankle as I went over the side.

I grew up spending summers on a 24' sailboat in New York, then Maine. My Dad has a 34 foot Pearson sailboat in his driveway that they used to sail from Maine to Florida via the ICW each fall, then back in the spring. Jan's back couldn't take the constant movement of the boat, so now they snowbird in a 5th wheel. Don't think they'll ever full time though. They've got too much going on in Maine in the summer.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #14

My son and I own a Sprint Boat. It is called Rum Runner and is in the super boat class which is unlimited to horsepower. My son, Jerimy drives the boat and my granddaughter is navigator. It is 12 feet long with about 900 horsepower running on alcohol. It is quick.

St. John is a great race track. It is a small town that hosts 2 races a year. RV's are the accommodations. The parking lot grows to a couple hundred campers. It is a one day event with live music Friday and Saturday nites.

We are not making the first race this year because of a work conflict. Look up ASB Racing web site for other tracks and race schedule. A lot of RV's at all venues. Other tracks in Port Angeles, Wash and Toutle, Wash ( close to Mt St Helens ).

It is the fastest and most exciting race you will see.