Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I don't care what your political leanings are I'm just scared as hell about all these cuts being proposed. I'm sure there are many among us on SS and Medicare. What they're talking about is going to make death panels seem like a good idea. This voucher program will really screw those among us with
preexisting conditions. Over the last 12 years I've had over a million dollars worth of care, who's going to insure me. Looks like if this bill passes, I'll say my goodbyes and find an iceberg to float out on.
Don't worry about it...our wonderful universal health care will pick you up and give you wonderful insurance!!

I'm 51 yrs old and as long as those currently getting benefits continue to get them as promised I am realistic enough to know that those under 55 will have to accept changes. If we don't, not only will seniors lose all their benefits but it simply won't be around when I retire.

FIX IT NOW EVEN IF IT IS PAINFUL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
it became clear that it was impossible to balance the budget without raising taxes of one type or another.
Or cutting spending...

You guys need to realize that there is 3 different types of SS.

SS - the retirement portion

SSDI - the Disability portion, basically early retirement for when you can no longer work.

SSI - the Welfare portion

Because of the downturn, there are more people on some kind of SS now than ever before. Just the SSDI application have risen over 21%.. mostly from folks who got laid off, and, who may have otherwise tried to work in spite of their disability, are finding it easier to file for Social Security Disability benefits than it is to find a job that can accommodate their disabling condition.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #31

I do understand one thing.......we are dangerously close to having 50% of our population getting some kind of government aid and benefits. Once we get to 51% who do we think those folks are going to keep in office....that's right, the ones who want to continue giving benefits until we are broke.

We are heading down the path of every great empire...borrowing ourselves into oblivion. I find it humorous to think that so many people think the situation in greece, portugal, spain, ireland ect...can't happen to us.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Subject discussion

Folks, be VERY careful with posts here. Politics is intimately entwined with this issue & you are all aware of our Community Rules regarding such posts.

All of us are or will be impacted by what goes on with Medicare & Social Security. We encourage discussion on this topic as long as it stays within the parameters set forth in those Rules.

Thank you,

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #33
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Or cutting spending...

You guys need to realize that there is 3 different types of SS.

SS - the retirement portion

SSDI - the Disability portion, basically early retirement for when you can no longer work.

SSI - the Welfare portion

Because of the downturn, there are more people on some kind of SS now than ever before. Just the SSDI application have risen over 21%.. mostly from folks who got laid off, and, who may have otherwise tried to work in spite of their disability, are finding it easier to file for Social Security Disability benefits than it is to find a job that can accommodate their disabling condition.
I don't think that changing SS will have much effect. Most of the SS changes needed to extend it's life won't have an effect for 20 years or so. I tried the AARP web site and checked to reduce/eliminate every spending item listed. Nothing to increase revenue (taxes) was selected. I even selected the items to reduce the military. I managed to come up with 210 Billion out of 609 Billion to balance the budget. Even throwing in another 50 billion (pure number guess) by cutting off all the SS payments to the SSDI/SSI would not get close to balancing the budget.

Perhaps someone can show me where the big savings can be found without tax increases.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Perhaps someone can show me where the big savings can be found without tax increases.
By not going to a politically biased website like the AARP There's a reason only those programs are listed and available to be cut..

However, my post was more to inform than choose a side.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #35

I have not seen or heard anything anywhere about changes to medicare or SS that affects those currently on (or near) either of these programs, except from the politicians and pundits opposed to ANY changes. Grandma is not going to die and her SS check will still arrive on time.

I will be 58 later this year, looking forward to early signup for SS. I will do what many at my country club do and use my SS check to pay my club bill, and to pay for my MH that I use once or twice a month. Clearly not what SS was intended for. SS was not intended to be part of retirement planning.

It is totally appropriate to review all entitlement programs from time to time and make adjustments where appropriate to assure the long term viability of them. The retirement age for SS should be reviewed and adjusted based on changes to how long people are living but in a way not to affect those already enrolled or within "N" years. I would not be opposed to means testing SS so that people such as Bill Gates (and wouldn't care) get nothing as they truely don't need it. At the same time the gov. should look at removing the cap on SS contributions so that very dime that say Charlie Sheen makes is subject to SS tax. He would never miss it.

Medicare is a different issue and the first thing that needs to be addressed is waste and fraud. Millions or billions are being spent on fraudulant submissions. More millions are spent of unneeded procedures. We need to take care of the elderly, and the poor but those of us who can afford to should take care of ourselves.

Just my 2 cents
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
What do you all think of a flat tax with no deductions do. Help or not with this mess??

jack
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtharley View Post
I do understand one thing.......we are dangerously close to having 50% of our population getting some kind of government aid and benefits. Once we get to 51% who do we think those folks are going to keep in office....that's right, the ones who want to continue giving benefits until we are broke.

We are heading down the path of every great empire...borrowing ourselves into oblivion. I find it humorous to think that so many people think the situation in greece, portugal, spain, ireland ect...can't happen to the .
Could you tell me the source of the 50% number?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Folks, be VERY careful with posts here. Politics is intimately entwined with this issue & you are all aware of our Community Rules regarding such posts.

All of us are or will be impacted by what goes on with Medicare & Social Security. We encourage discussion on this topic as long as it stays within the parameters set forth in those Rules.

Thank you,

Lori-
I hope folks stay away from the left-right thing, this has the potential to be interesting.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #39

About a month ago I created a document to demonstrate what COULD HAVE BEEN had you been allowed to OPT OUT of SS. All I want to know is where's the money? I don't believe and have never believed any of the hogwash rammed down my throat. So I placed the file on Mediafire and you can look at it. It is not a FIX for SS. I provided a link to a FUTURE VALUE CALCULATOR designed for this MAKE BELIEVE scenario. It might look convoluted but it's really simple. I included text to describe how I manipulated the increases in the make believe person's pay.

People would have seen results AND they would encourage THEMSELVES to save from the balance of their take home.

A note: The payout hardly impacts the accumulated funds. You could have used a bigger payout to FUND YOUR OWN HEALTH CARE PROGRAM.

The Mediafire file link (you might have to click to start the download) It's virus free:

SS FUTURE VALUE CALC RESULTS AL.pdf

Keep in mind, the government loves to borrow and expand. The facilitators would have been ourselves and not a foreign country or the FED (not a govt agency).
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
What do you all think of a flat tax with no deductions do. Help or not with this mess??

jack
A flat tax with no deductions would be better than what we have today but I believe that taxing income is wrong. People work hard for their money and they should keep every dime and spend or save it how they want. Tax every dollar they spend except for raw food items and generic drugs. If you buy an Idaho potato no tax. You buy potato chips you get taxed. You drink water from your kitchen faucet no tax, you buy bottled water you get taxed.

The side benefit of taxing spending is that people just might start saving more.

Many states such as mine (SC) cap the amount of tax on cars, boats, RV's, etc at $300. Eliminate these caps. Some states have tax free holidays for school supplies but you would be amazed at what qualifies. We even have one for guns. How sad is that. Eliminate these tax holidays as well.

Another 2 cents...
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
The whole discussion is just frustrating...
I certainly cannot support leaving anyone to die in the streets, be they older folks, poor people, illegal imigrants or school children.
I have a real hard time supporting tax burden that currently adds up to over 50% of my gross income.
And I don't see our country surviving long with 1/3 of the budget going to "so-called" entitlement programs and another third covering the interest we must pay to borrow the money to pay the aaforementioned entitlements.
Hold up here!!! Why should I or any other American taxpayer have to pay for an illegal immigrant? That's a big part of the problem....What part of illegal are you not understanding? They shouldn't be here and therefore SHOULD NOT be getting ANY public support at all. I just go bannanas when I hear were an illegal comes into my country and applies for SSI and gets it at the tune of over $2900.00/mo. They get more (and never paid a d**n dime into it) then my parents did after they paid into it most of their adult working life.

While I don't mind giving a helping hand to people who are really in need of it, I do find it highly offensive to give money to people who are just to lazy or think that they are to good to do a honest days work.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #42

This conversation seems to be going nowhere. Let's get on to what the vast majority of the country is engrossed in.

That would be who the eventual winners of 'Dancing with the Stars', 'The Apprentice' & 'American Idol' will be?

Sad, but true. We are preaching to the choir. jodann