Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I just go bannanas when I here were an illegal comes into my country and applies for SSI and gets it at the tune of over $2900.00/mo.
SSI is capped to $674 single, $1011 couple, per month... not $2900.

SSI Federal Payment Amounts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I personally think higher taxes are the way to go, don't give tax breaks to big business and the rich, that's not the solution
Mike, increasing the taxes on big business and the rich won't do anything put hurt the U.S. in the long run. If you tax the business they will just move out of this country to another counrty that taxes less, taxes on the rich will just cut down on money that's being invested. (If you don't believe that how many poor people do you know that invest in the market) The rich already pay most of the taxes in this country as it is, maybe the little guy who doesn't pay any taxes, yet gets a check (earned income credit) from Uncle Sugar wouldn't mind passing on getting that money. After all, what did they do to really earn it any way?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Don't do it, all you have to do once it goes through is go to local SS office and tell them you are in the country illegally and you need assistance, act like you don't understand most of what they say and then point to where it hurts! You will get a drivers license, place to stay, medical care and a check!
If your not keen on that then you can just do something illegal and go to prison, you can get an advanced degree, 3 hots and a cot, medical care to include by pass surgery if needed. Only down side is you will also get a cuddle buddy

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER !!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #46
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
By not going to a politically biased website like the AARP There's a reason only those programs are listed and available to be cut..
I have no idea how politically biased AARP is and I really don't care for the purposes of trying to balance the budget. All the budget items listed in the web site have footnotes as to where the cost/savings numbers came from. I do not think you could call the referenced sites biased.

Just looking at the list, they have seems to cover most of the big-ticket items and the smaller ones that appear in the 'hype' often. They have the savings for cutting items and the revenue for various tax/fee increases.

Are there any other big-ticket items that AARP did not include? I am sure that there are some relatively small items, but they don't amount too much in the goal to balance the budget.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
All of the small items add up too. Everything from national parks / forest service to construction projects in various congressmen's home districts...

And some agreement / concensus as to the scope of government is needed...
Do Americans want universal health care (single payer system as per Canada / Britan / Sweden etc) or do "WE" only want that for senior citizens?

Do we want the feds to handle all of this, or should it be passed back to the states per that Ryan guy's proposal?

I personally think it is outragious that the vast majority of retired people believe it is their right to have all of their health care "comped", but those same are the first to rail against poor people, welfare mom's, and illegals.

I'm 53, own a small business, pay lots of taxes, invest mucho dinero every month saving for my own retirement, and pay for private health insurance. I couldn't care less about SS, other than I would have appreciated the option of opting out 20 years ago. It would be nice if medicare was still around tho.

hmmm... I think I'm getting to close to the edge, back to my corner...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I personally think it is outragious that the vast majority of retired people believe it is their right to have all of their health care "comped", but those same are the first to rail against poor people, welfare mom's, and illegals.
There's a fundamental difference. Retired people have paid into SS and Medicare for their entire working lives. The latter categories you mention have generally paid in little or nothing as compared to the retirees.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #49

If you cut out waste, AND raise taxes on E V E R Y O N E , WE CUD balance the budget and pay off our debt.

Who Pays Income Taxes and how much?

Tax Year 2008

Percentiles Ranked by AGI(ADJUSTED GROSS INC)
AGI Threshold on Percentiles
Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid
Top 1%
$380,354
Top 5%
$159,619
Top 10%
$113,799
Top 25%
$67,280
Top 50%
$33,048
Bottom 50%
<$33,048

Where is the fair in that ?

A person making $33,000 a year pays 2.7% in taxes? And if they are married, they get another deduction off that, and with children , THEY GET CASH BACK!!!!

You want to raise taxes on the rich? What are the rich? In NY state, the rich are not rich if they make 300,000 per year, they are middle class and get tremendous tax breaks , especially if they have kids.

East coast residents must make more than 3 1/2 times poverty before they pay taxes and they get free health care for their children. In the south , it is poverty when they pay taxes.

One of the biggest problems in America, IMO, is that the average person DOES NOT KNOW THE TRUTH about taxes and exemptions.

Study the facts, then vote what best suits your needs. I wont help you with my vote, if you are in conflict with my interest.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Mike, increasing the taxes on big business and the rich won't do anything put hurt the U.S. in the long run. If you tax the business they will just move out of this country to another counrty that taxes less, taxes on the rich will just cut down on money that's being invested. (If you don't believe that how many poor people do you know that invest in the market) The rich already pay most of the taxes in this country as it is, maybe the little guy who doesn't pay any taxes, yet gets a check (earned income credit) from Uncle Sugar wouldn't mind passing on getting that money. After all, what did they do to really earn it any way?
The little guys do the rich guys dirty work. I discovered that the people that work the hardest physical work are the lowest paid. The people that that use their brains are paid the best. Now this is fair because the smartest among us provide jobs. But don't think landscapers and garbage men don't earn their money.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Keep all this in mind when voting time arrives. Not a political statement- just encouraging everyone to participate in running our great nation because; I want my grandchildren to enjoy traveling around as we do, and seeing just how great it really is!
I agree keep it in mind when voting. Its not hard to figure out which person or party you are voting for will stand up for you when you are older or in a wheel chair. how we as a nation treat our elderly will say alot about us as a people. I really dread the day when we stop treating them with dignity and grace.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to laugh when someone tells me that the government will never take SS away, after working for about 20 years and being told I would collect full SS at age 65 I was told out of the blue that things have changed and I'll have to work longer to collect full benefits from SS, if that's not taking away what is? And they may make me work even longer still before I retire!

What I really can't understand is if SS is in so much trouble, why has the SS tax been reduced? Wouldn't it make more sense if SS is in trouble to find ways to add to the money going into SS?

And why is anyone's income over about $126,000 (about-I'm not sure of the exact figure but that's close) not subject to SS tax at all? I'm told it's because people with that kind of income would never be able to get back all that they paid in if they paid tax on income over that amount. SO WHAT? We may all die before collecting anything, there are no guarantees. The fact that people are lucky enough to live in this country and make that kind of income (probably with a lot of help from people earning a lot less) should mean they pay the same tax on their full income just like the rest of us do on our full incomes. I don't know if that would make up all the shortfall SS is facing but I'm sure it would help cover some of it.

And with all the sacrifices the average person is being asked to do nowadays, what sacrifices are our congressmen and senators making to show they understand and are in this with us? They have automatic raises built into their pay and their own separate retirement plan that in not related to SS and you can bet it is NOT in danger of being underfunded! Just last week the federal government was in danger of being shut down due to no budget and not enough income. Our nations best people, those who put themselves in harms way through our armed forces protecting our freedom and safety, and it seems lately protecting the worlds freedom and safety, would have had to go without paychecks if the government hadn't come to an agreement at the last minute. But at no time were the congressmen and senators in danger of being deprived their paychecks. Those paychecks would have been kept being paid. It's no wonder things are so screwed up now, the people making the decisions are not affected by those decisions, they should feel the same affects the rest of us do, their pay, their retirement, their taxes, should all be affected the same way the rest of us are.
Wow! I feel better, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
The little guys do the rich guys dirty work. I discovered that the people that work the hardest physical work are the lowest paid. The people that that use their brains are paid the best. Now this is fair because the smartest among us provide jobs. But don't think landscapers and garbage men don't earn their money.
My brother in law is my key employee. He is smart, he works hard. I pay him well, maybe a third of what I make. He's not a little guy and we both do more or less the same job, as well as the same amount of dirty work.

The difference is I had the balls to roll the dice with my life.
He get's paid every week.

I get what's left. Sometime that a good thing, sometimes not so much.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
What I really can't understand is if SS is in so much trouble, why has the SS tax been reduced? Wouldn't it make more sense if SS is in trouble to find ways to add to the money going into SS?
SS Withholding was reduced to make the currently in power party look like they were doing something for the middle class. An extra $20 a week, while the bankers were getting trillions.

Also worth noting that all employers have to MATCH what is withheld from your paychecks. For every one hundred fica and medicare, your employer has to send uncle sam two hundred.

And the emplloyers share was not reduced, only the employees.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
And why is anyone's income over about $126,000 (about-I'm not sure of the exact figure but that's close) not subject to SS tax at all?
It's really pointless. There are other ways to be compensated besides wages. People who make a lot of money don't show it on a W2, and they don't pay social security on it.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Social security is kinda interesting too...
Yes, people paid in and they deserve to get paid out.
But... My grandfather, who retired in the 70's and lived till the end of the 90's, collected 100 times more than he paid in during his lifetime.

I've done the math, and I will not be so lucky.