Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
SS & Medicare

I don't care what your political leanings are I'm just scared as hell about all these cuts being proposed. I'm sure there are many among us on SS and Medicare. What they're talking about is going to make death panels seem like a good idea. This voucher program will really screw those among us with
preexisting conditions. Over the last 12 years I've had over a million dollars worth of care, who's going to insure me. Looks like if this bill passes, I'll say my goodbyes and find an iceberg to float out on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't do it, all you have to do once it goes through is go to local SS office and tell them you are in the country illegally and you need assistance, act like you don't understand most of what they say and then point to where it hurts! You will get a drivers license, place to stay, medical care and a check!
If your not keen on that then you can just do something illegal and go to prison, you can get an advanced degree, 3 hots and a cot, medical care to include by pass surgery if needed. Only down side is you will also get a cuddle buddy
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your there already...But us youngens...r..in a holding pattern....Heard some talk that if our under 55 right now, be expecting to be forced to keep on working...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Keep all this in mind when voting time arrives. Not a political statement- just encouraging everyone to participate in running our great nation because; I want my grandchildren to enjoy traveling around as we do, and seeing just how great it really is!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Weren't these programs created during the great depression as a last diutch stop gap. a supplement rather than "all the pension any American will ever need"?

And who was it who decided that "fica" withheld from our paychecks would go straight into the general fund, wasn't it supposed to be a trust fund, a government imposed saving program (and about as constitutional as Obama saying "You VILL buy health insurance!" Your money is gone because our governemtn spent it.

Oh heck, there I go getting political again. Sorry.

But yes, those of us under 60 will end up working longer or collecting less, or both.
And those of you collecting now may just get smaller checks.
It just ain't right to expect every American who still has a job to support 6 old foggies and 3 illegal imigrants, in additon to his own family.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Weren't these programs created during the great depression as a last diutch stop gap. a supplement rather than "all the pension any American will ever need"?

And who was it who decided that "fica" withheld from our paychecks would go straight into the general fund, wasn't it supposed to be a trust fund, a government imposed saving program (and about as constitutional as Obama saying "You VILL buy health insurance!" Your money is gone because our governemtn spent it.

Oh heck, there I go getting political again. Sorry.

But yes, those of us under 60 will end up working longer or collecting less, or both.
And those of you collecting now may just get smaller checks.
It just ain't right to expect every American who still has a job to support 6 old foggies and 3 illegal imigrants, in additon to his own family.

SS was during the depression Medicare was Johnson. Whats when it started got to do with it. We as a Nation have a moral contract with our people that we have to live up to. Raise taxes if you have to, but the government that breaks that contract will have Hell to pay!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think the lesson here, for those who are young enough, is to save all you can and not depend on what the government will do. I always wanted to retire early, so I put away everything I could and retired a few years ago at 53. My parameters were to pay off everything and sock away all I could. I reached "my number", meaning we could make on our own if SS and Medicare suddenly evaporated, then pulled the trigger and retired.

Many of us tend to blissfully spend all of our income, living paycheck to paycheck. It's a huge gamble when one considers that SS, Medicare and Medicaid have grown to over a third of the federal budget. As medical costs increase, the problem will get worse. Sooner or later, Washington is going to have to either reduce costs or increase taxes.

It will be interesting watching the debate in the coming years. I don't expect to see changes for current retirees, but younger people should be prepared.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
laj

completely agree with JimM68.
you want to eat anything that crawls across your plate, and wash it down with liquid poison, then pay the price later. You have major medical issues, its your fault no one elses.
Moral contract???? the constitution says life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness........ Now, where does it say someone else has to pay for it. people should be made to pay their own way.
tired of getting the bill
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #9

SS and Medicare are two completely different issues. I think its almost certain that the early retirement age of 62 and the full-retirement age will be gradually raised but to what ages I am not sure, but by raising the age the SS system can be remain solvent.
Medicare is a completely different situation. Medical costs are rising so fast, seniors are living longer, about the only solution is to either increase the Medicare tax/contributions from employers and employees or to reduce the actual costs by "administrative techniques" ie delaying approval for treatment, declining treatment options, paying less therefore eliminating the newest treatments and etc. My take is that it will be a combination of all of the above, but in the end, our society hasnt yet decided whether health care is a right or a priviledge and until it does, my guess is we will struggle to pay for the ever increasing costs of medical care, no matter the age of the patient or whether it be private insurance, or programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #10

Social Security's budget has NEVER been part of the federal budget. This is just another successful lie. Like SS is an entitlement. They mean like WELFARE. I have a thread somewhere here about SS. That $45 billion they "gave" this past year wasn't even close to the INTEREST they owed for that year. The interest "owed" and never paid came to $107 BILLION. Just WHERE is the PRINCIPAL? SS "lends" all excess to the federal government by law. What a scam.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #11

Soon as SS quits paying us retirees, and Medicare quits servicing us, we can maybe switch over to Welfare mode, collect food stamps and an allotment and get health care free, no premium to pay. That's what a welfare community does, and we will be needing the welfare. We don't even have to look for work, we retired from that. I thought.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Re-Elect Nobody...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #13

I do not EVER remember SS being just a safety net, UNTIL the Politicans began :"borrowing" from the fund. In the 40s and 50 and into the late 60s, very few companies had pensions.

But never in all those years, when I paid my SS , I never heard a word of people complaining about people drawing SS. Ill wager that everyone on here had grandparents or parents that drew SS , while we workers paid and paid. Then they added SSI, wow lots of lazy people get that, and aid to dependent children whose parents probally never paid the full amout.

Now that they have stolen the money from the trust fund, and instead of raising SS taxes, as they did us year after year, and paying the money back, they want to stop it.

401ks just began in the nineties, and I was well past 50 then, what was we working fools to do, borrow money to put in our 401ks?

It is easy for the young to complain about us getting our WELFARE SS checks each month, cause they have to pay for it. Who do you think paid in for your parents and grandparents?

If they would just give me back what I paid in, theycould stop the checks anytime.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #14

Just remember, we are one of the largest block of voters and if they fail us with ss or medicare then we are a great numbers of voters and we need to let them know. Social security is not an entitlement. We paid every work check for this, the fact that our elected officials have p............it away does not negate the obligation to retirees who paid into the system. Medicare is a necessity for most middle class as health insurance is unaffordable and cannot be bought if you have pre-existing conditions and to the person that thinks this is brought on by the individual, this in most cases is not true, severe arthritis, heart disease, cancer, just a few that can be genetics. What some don't understand, alot of people have such low paying jobs that they don't have enough to live on, much less save, this is particuliarly true in the south where many only make minimal wages. If these elected officials realize that we will vote them out of office,, they are not going to touch ss or medicare for current retired individuals.
Closed Thread