Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

Good afternoon everyone,

It couldn't have come at a worse time-hubby left his job after 21 years-LONG story-family owned business and a nephew who'd determined to see the place fail. So hubby is job hunting for the first time since he was 23. He's been in ready mix concrete-dispatcher,weigh master license, NYS asphalt testing certification. We'd love to relocate down south-but I have a elderly Mother who's 84 1/2 and won't budge-she's also just out of a nursing home so we are stuck.

Does anyone know of a good site or company that does resumes? Since hubby's never needed one-he's clueless where to start. No idea myself-I've been with the same place since 89. There's not a whole lot of opportunity here for the same line of work-so he's not sure what else he'd be qualified for anymore.

Any advice or suggestions how to get a resume started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #2

Good afternoon everyone,

It couldn't have come at a worse time-hubby left his job after 21 years-LONG story-family owned business and a nephew who'd determined to see the place fail. So hubby is job hunting for the first time since he was 23. He's been in ready mix concrete-dispatcher,weigh master license, NYS asphalt testing certification. We'd love to relocate down south-but I have a elderly Mother who's 84 1/2 and won't budge-she's also just out of a nursing home so we are stuck.

Does anyone know of a good site or company that does resumes? Since hubby's never needed one-he's clueless where to start. No idea myself-I've been with the same place since 89. There's not a whole lot of opportunity here for the same line of work-so he's not sure what else he'd be qualified for anymore.

Any advice or suggestions how to get a resume started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Nell

Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Microsoft Word's Resume Wizard would be a basic start.

If you are of the caucassian persuation, expect to get alot of trouble getting started on anywhere. Right now jobs are tight, and hiring is with "minority preference". For example, it took me Four YEARS to get a job after finish college and then its only a 1-year contractors job.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #4

Find someone in the are that does resumes. He can start by writing down all of his job functions. At 7AM I did this at 8AM I did this and so on. Tell him to keep his chin up it isn't easy out here. I am not caucasion with 16 years in Mfg management. I have been looking since April. It all comes down to fit (wether they like you)now a days. Not necessarilly qualifications.

2002 Ford Explorer
Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is there anything he can do to make his own business? Something simple but well paying? What are his talents? How can you market them? My husband has just closed his long time construction business and is now doing very well selling vintage motorcycle parts on ebay. (Sometimes a hobby can become a very good business!). Also, perhaps he has "consultant" qualifications, depending on what his duties were with the company. Best wishes to you... believe me, there is no job security these days, sometimes relying on your own talents is the best course of action.

Brenda, of...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Nell - Try Monster.com for resume help. He can also post the resume there. Careerbuilder.com is another website for checking out available work and posting resumes.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Finding a new job is more than writing a resume. To be successful, I'd recommend buying the book What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers By Richard Nelson Bolles. It's updated annually and contains a wealth of information on not only resume writing, but interviewing, how to negotiate a salary, strategies for finding a job, and much much more. It's a great reference for the whole job-hunting process. I don't think it will disappoint. I see the paperback version is $12.89 on amazon.com.

Good Luck!
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #8

Thanks everyone!

I've printed all these out for him so he can get some new ideas. It's crazy trying for jobs-nothing is like it was years ago and how you applied for one. I'm going out tonight to get the Parachute book-I've heard lots of good things about that.

Thanks again-I'll let you know how it all goes.

Nell

Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #9

I would try to make sure that he will get a good report from the prior job or at least not a bad one. May have to suck it up, but this is critical. As a former employer, I always put a lot of stock in what the previous employer had to say. Wan't a show stopper, but it was an important factor. The key is to get up every morning and go to work as normal; now his job is to get another job. You have to be proactive. Employers love somebody that shows so big brass one (sorry, couldn't think of anything else). Talk to the employers first and often. Your job is to be as supportive as possible. Being a little older and unemployed can be daunting. He has to forget the past and go out and get a job.I usually charge for this advise, but for RV'ers it's free.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #10

Here is one way to make some money. If you have a pickup truck. Go around and collect scrap metal and sell it to the local recycling yard in your area. You would be surprised at what scrap metal is bringing these days.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was laid off at the age of almost 60 and even though they are not supposed to use age in a job criteria...it does happen.

My best advice is to gt help on the resume if you can not find the information online.

In your job search, do not depend on head hunters, online services, etc. These places are just looking for any body to fill any position..ie. body dealers.

Your best chances are through strong networking with others in your industry. Check with competitors in your field and push to get a face to face meeting. Make sure you work our connections at any sort of trade luncheons, technical meetings and such.

After any meeting,follow up with a short personal note to the person thanking them for the time and for any leads they may have offered.

I managed to land on my feet with a company that appreciated the grey hair and experience and is willing to pay for it. Making about 25% more than the job I thought would carry me to retirement. The job offer came from a single phone call to a former work associate. He took my resume directly to the department head and they had HR set up an interview meeting. Had the job in about 2 weeks after I called him.

The problem with resumes going to HR is that they are screening and looking for a few key buzz words. If your resume does not hit the buzz word list it is set aside. If you know any one working in HR, ask then for some pointers.
Good luck,

Ken
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #12

Thanks for all the great replies that keep coming in. It's been appreciated. Since the last I posted on this-we were in a serious car accident last weekend-my car(Honda Civic) was totaled-some fool pulled in front of me turning left while I was going 40mph-he never saw us(the two of us and my 10 year old daughter were in the car). We walked away with lots of bruises and airbag burns-,seat belts,and muscle strains. Gives you lots of time to look online to see what's out there and might be a fit for a job-but definitely NOT how he wanted too. So he's been reading daily online what's out there and what might be a place to apply to-sent out a few resumes(Monster was a BIG help with organizing one). Now both of us have to get back into feeling better-I have at least 4 weeks therapy looming at me. Keep the tips coming-any bit helps him. I am trying to be a supportive as I can and also hitting sites that post jobs and printing them out for him.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Nell

Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #13

Nell

Being a retired Personnel Officer, here's my advice. The very best way to get a job is to nework friends, church members, club contacts and etc. These people can tell you the ins and outs of the job as well as get you the interview. Forget sending out blind resumes, For the most part they are a waste. We just use to file them. Only take a resume or application (if they prefer) to the person doing the interview. ( this is different if you are applying out of town. ) If applying out of town, get your friend to take the application to the person and have him tell the interviewer about you.

Just do not assume you have to work in the same area. Find out what is available, find someone who knows about the company and get that person to let you know what is involved in the job and then determine if you can do the job. And to recommend you for an interview. The key is to not waste your energy on blind fillings, but to find an opening or possible opening and consentrate on that position and get your friend to get you the interview and possibly take you in before the interview and let you meet the interviewer and give him your application at that time.

When you get through with the interview alway look the interviewer in the eye (critical) and give that person a firm handshake (practice this) (even to a female) and tell the person that this is the job "I have been looking for and am very interested in working for "the company"

Also, make sure you find out from the person helping you or or if you dont dont have a friend helping you, if necessary, call up the company and talk to a secretary about what the company does and other details as well as what benefits are offered so you do not appear dumb when the interviewer ask you do you know what we do? During the interview don't ask such qxs as how much leave do I earn and can I have off at Christmas, because we are planning a trip and etc. However, it is important to talk wages and know what you can live with.

Do not let your back touch the back of the chair when you interview. Never smoke, chew gum or sware during the interview . Some interviewers do not know how to start a conversation, so be prepard to "break the ice" with talking about the weather, fishing or NASCAR if he has some pics or such in his office
But always convay the idea that you are interested. Your body language may tell him that you are not that interested. So verbally tell him you are interested.

And finally, take the advice above about your new "job" Get up everyday and go to work trying to get a job. Don't give up if you don't get the first 2 or 3 jobs, many factors involved (have to hire my bosses son..etc). It's also a good idea to call back the day after the interview and thank him for giving you the interview and let him know how interested you are in the job. s/Toby
Old 07-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #14

Nell

As a side note, you do know about unemployment compensation don't you. If not have him go file for UC at the state employment office. Even if he "quit", tell them he was forced to quit and he would therefore be eligible for UC benefits. s/Toby