Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
State Law's on RV & Tow length

We have the new 44U Entegra Aspire. The RV & tow car measures 65' bumper to bumper. Is there any states we should be concerned about because of the state laws on length

Doug

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
RVSafely.com
Here's just one of the sites that have some information on the laws for different states. Almost all states have a reciprocity agreement with the other states, meaning that as long as you are legal in your home state you should be legal in the other states.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RVSAFEY is a good source but I am not so sure about reciprocity regarding length. Also...that site is a reference but not guaranteed to be accurate. As an example, the link to CA DOT is not correct. Here is a link you should find informative. 45' Bus & Motorhome Restricted Routes
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Reciprocity applies to driver licenses, but one must be in conformance with the other vehicle laws of the states through which one travels, including overall length, weight, axle loadings and other such restrictions.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Reciprocity only applies to driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance. Here's another source for length, and other, restrictions:
State Towing Laws for RVs
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Many sites and many people on various RV forums will interpret state laws regarding trailers as the same as towing an automobile or as a commercial vehicle (ie brakes and braking systems etc.) Not the same. I have never seen, and I don't recall reading of an RVer getting nailed for length violations. I suspect if push came to shove you could get ticketed.
As far as reciprocity on length - don't think so
Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Many sites and many people on various RV forums will interpret state laws regarding trailers as the same as towing an automobile or as a commercial vehicle (ie brakes and braking systems etc.) Not the same.
I checked the laws in New York, and there are no specific laws regarding cars being towed behind motorhomes, regarding braking requirements vs toad weight, etc. In NY, the law does interpret toads the same as a trailer (I had a conversation with NYDMV on this issue).

I'm sure every state may be different regarding how toads are treated w.r.t. towing laws, etc. Go figure.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It would seem that Texas considers a towed car to be a trailer. Texas Transportation Code, Title 7, Subtitle B, Chapter 541, Subchapter C, Section 541.201(20):

Quote:
(20) "Trailer" means a vehicle, other than a pole trailer, with or without motive power:
(A) designed to be drawn by a motor vehicle and to transport persons or property; and
(B) constructed so that no part of the vehicle's weight and load rests on the motor vehicle.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
It's good that you are aware that length might be an issue in some states, but I don't think you'll ever be stopped for it unless you're on a specific road that has limitations (like in California) Some tollbooths have length marks as you pull though the lanes, but again, I've never known anyone pulled over for a violation. It most likely would come up in an accident investigation, then they might cite you on it if you are violating their limits. If a cop ever made an issue of it, offer to disconnect the toad and have your partner drive it. Years ago I repeatedly drove a converted school bus with a 22' canoe trailer on it through all the tollbooths on toll roads around Chicago. We were over 60' in length but no one ever batted an eye.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

The maximum combination length in Maryland is 62' but I have not seen anyone ticketed yet.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
IMHO BFlinn181 brought up the real potential problem if you're not in compliance with each state's applicable regulations, and that is possible liability in case of an accident.

I think everyone here would agree that most people that don't own an RV think that those that do are financially very well off.

Here's a situation that I think all of us have experienced, and that is when we're on a freeway in heavy city traffic, and a vehicle will cut in front of us attempting to get over to an exit lane, and then have to slam on their brakes when they can't get into that lane. We could be doing everything legal, but what might happen if we were to actually hit one of these idiots and cause not only property damage, but personal injuries.

I have been running a dash camera for a number of years now to hopefully be able to offer that as proof that the other driver cut in front of me. So I might be protected in that aspect, but what would happen if the other vehicles occupant's attorney dug a little deeper and found that I was 2' over the state's length restriction?
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
It would seem that Texas considers a towed car to be a trailer. Texas Transportation Code, Title 7, Subtitle B, Chapter 541, Subchapter C, Section 541.201(20):
Rusty
And here in WA a trailer is a vehicle designed to be towed and without any motive power.
Quote:
RCW 46.04.620

Trailer.

"Trailer" includes every vehicle without motive power designed for being drawn by or used in conjunction with a motor vehicle constructed so that no appreciable part of its weight rests upon or is carried by such motor vehicle, but does not include a municipal transit vehicle, or any portion thereof.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
"Trailer" includes every vehicle without motive power designed for being drawn by or used in conjunction with a motor vehicle constructed so that no appreciable part of its weight rests upon or is carried by such motor vehicle, but does not include a municipal transit vehicle, or any portion thereof.

And here in WA a trailer is a vehicle designed to be towed and without any motive power.
A car in tow only has motive power from the vehicle towing since the engine is off and out of gear. In addition the base plate and tow bar are "designed for being drawn by or used in conjunction with a motor vehicle constructed so that no appreciable part of its weight rests upon or is carried by such motor vehicle."

Seems to me a Toad meets the definition of a Trailer --- in Washington.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig

You are just fine. Check out some of the rigs on the above link.