Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Stick & Bricks

Well it's getting down crunch time b-4 we go full time, which brings up more questions about the S&B. We purchased an old refrigerated trailer because of it's insulation values to store whats left of the things that we didn't get rid of. now we are having discussions on what to do with the S&B. DW wants to sell it, I however do not want to as yet. I think we should keep it for at least a year before we make that decision. I think we should rent it out for the year and make the final decision then. Perhaps I am more attached to it than I should be because we spent 2 yrs building it by ourselves living in a 19' trailer on the property and it took years to get the property that we build it on also we own it free and clear. Has anyone felt that they moved to fast when they went full timing and sold most of their stuff and the S&B? Does anyone wish that the had waited a while longer before selling the S&B I think this is one of the biggest decision we will make in our lives and would like some input/suggestions from others who have already gone through this process. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

We have had this discussion also. While we are not as far along in the process as you, we are making some preliminary preparations and cleaning out. Our take on letting go of the S&B is this. While we did not build our house(1929 originally) we have essentially rebuilt and have invested 28 years making it our own. So 1. We aren't comfortable with someone else living in our house and the possibly having to come back to it and just wonder what " they" have done. And second when we go on the road and start seeing parts of this great country we haven't seen before, we don't think even if we leave the road that we would return to the same place. There are lots of great locations out there. Nobody can make the decision except yourselves but I hope this viewpoint helps. Best wishes.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

We plan on selling ours when we go full time. That said, once we moved into our current home, we had decided to keep our prior home as a rental. What a mistake, even though you try to weed out your tenant's to someone that would respect the property that they are renting, a lot never do. Be careful if you do rent it out as it will break your heart watching the way your tenant's treat the things that you worked so hard for, especially since you've put so much sweat equity into it. Makes it even harder if your not in the area to keep a personal eye on things.

You should also put together an "Exit" plan in case you do have to come off the road.

Chuck
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #4

I was a landlord on 6 units for 7 years. Those were the 7 worst years if my life. Even if you held a gun to my head I would refuse. Some are lucky to make it work but I wasn't .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A year of renting would probably be OK, but the longer you do it, the more you'll have to do when you choose to sell. And, don't fall into the false hope that the current renters might buy, rather than move on when their lease expires...IMHO, doesn't happen often.

WRT being a landlord, agree with above proponent, and, even if you hire a management agency to manage (expensive), you still get the call when a repair (dollars) are required...particularly if you get renters that have neither the desire nor capabilities to fix the little things around a house. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #6

I just sold a second home I built myself. Although difficult, there were 2 things that persuaded me to do that. First, the house was in snow country (avg. 150" per year). A blast when I was younger, but getting harder and harder to get motivated to visit as I get older. Second, we bought a place I really like in Florida, that wasn't a lot more than what I got for the place in northern Mi .

The point? It didn't bother me as much as I thought it might, to move on to something I thought I would use more?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
I think we should rent it out for the year and make the final decision then. Perhaps I am more attached to it than I should be because we spent 2 yrs building it by ourselves
We have rental residential property in several states. IMO, you should never rent a home you have personal ties to. Even the best of renters will do something to change "your home". We have some friends who planted a tree to honor a relative who passed away, then several years later rented their home while they took a trip around the country. The renter accidentally killed the tree. Our friends were devastated.

If you decide to rent, I would strongly suggest a good rental management company. We always use them. Our money on deposit with them ensures we do not get calls for minor repairs. IMO, their fees are well worth it. Our tenants are always instructed never to make their own repairs, even small ones. We want to ensure things are fixed correctly and promptly.

IMO, you should either sell the home and bank the money to buy something else if you decide to come off the road, or leave the home vacant while making the final decision.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #8

I am a what if type of person, we have a few more years till retirement and I think we will keep our S&B in case something goes wrong while traveling. I know I could buy something later but I don't know which will last longer the MH or me.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are beginning year 5 of our 5 year plan to go full time. Part 1 - transition apartment. We downsized and rid ourselves of many things - but are realizing how much we still have to get rid of. It's a big job.

We are not landlords - but as renters have gained a world of experience in what renting and renters are like. First off - we have a very nice 2 bedroom - two bath - attached two car garage apartment - garden tub - and on a golf course - and lots of greenbelt. Could rent or buy a nice place for the rent we're paying. I say this to emphasize that this is not a rat trap complex. We have great and quiet neighbors - many folks have lived here for years.

So renters... Well screened - medium high rent district... A few years ago - noticed police down the way a bit. looked into it - a guy was shot and killed in his apartment by someone he owed money to. Made his way to balcony and died. 15 minutes later guys were caught a few a blocks away. This past week - 10:30 pm. - heard some noise - saw the police cars down the way. Turns out a guys girlfriend had moved out on him. Shot and killed himself. Folks came looking for him after no word for two days. We had seen this guy walk his dog and he would nod etc.

Other than that, no real issues - people seem to come and go and mind their own business - but I know from speaking to the maintenance guys that you cannot judge a book by it's cover. Nuff said.

I am glad we won't have an S&B to worry about. But our consideration was different. We just do not want to retire where we are. Been fine for working - growing to retirement age - but we want a change. I know many people are very attached to their S&B and community and can't bear to leave it behind. But like some others have noted - renting your home has some potential drawbacks that would be hard to cope with. We also like the idea of not knowing where we'll land.

I think it's also safe to say - No One will treat your things like you do. On another note. We just came off a two week trip. Walked in to our place and began discussing how we wished we were still on the road - and how we would not miss a single thing if we had never returned. Something magical about a picnic table I guess.

Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

You have to remember it is only a possession. You cannot take it with you when you die. So why hold onto it now? DW is having that issue now. She wants another house, me? i am more than happy to park my trailer someplace and watch the other poor slobs run off to work to pay for all the stuff. I can now take the time to make meals for the homeless,play with the dog, go do what I want without the worries of all the things that the house needed or will soon need done.
To each his own i guess, but despite how much DW is pushing for a house, I am resisting as much as I can until she realizes that this is a much better life than spending our entire income trying to maintain something I simply have no interest in.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We sold ours. Decided that letting it sit was not an option. We had been landlords years back and decided that we did not want to deal with keeping it leases to a decent tenant or work through a rental manager.

From our past experience, it was hard to break even on the rental house, so why bother. Another issue was if we decided to come off the road full time, we were not living in Houston. We want to go to a smaller town atmosphere.

If you rent the place, you need to figure on insurance, taxes, paint, carpet, eventually a roof, water well maintenance, and septic system maintenance.

A lot of headaches to worry about when you are across the country from the property. So we sold it and invested the money. The money is there if we want another place later.

A month after we sold it, a electrical storm and a power surge, blew the A/C unit control board, and took the well out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

S&B?
Sold. No taxes, no repairs, no utilities, no worries.

The money: invested in conservative mutual funds. And we intend to spend ALL OF IT!

We will F/T until we cannot, or change our minds. But will not buy a house again. Renting allows us to move!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #13

After 13 years we sold our S&B, the first 2 S&B homes we had I built, first a small one and then 11 years later a big one, and then because of rising taxes, we bought a medium sized one, we were there 13 years, and when we decided to go FT, we began clearing out our stuff, and lastly sold the S&B, I dont regret one decision to do this and neither does my wife, we are freer to do things we really want to do, versus upkeep and mowing 3 1/2 acres, even after putting on new siding, a new well, a new roof, oh and a new pole barn as well, and those are just a few of the things that even though new, still require upkeep, and not to mention that the taxes keep going up every year.

Cut your ties, and keep your memories and what you enjoyed about your place, but other than that, the rest of it is just stuff.

Cheers !!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

Rent it as a rent to own, get 1st and last months rent up front, plus a Big deposit. This way you got enough money to cover any trouble they might cause and they have something invested as well. Set the rent about 10% higher then the normal, and this will help weed out the low lifes and help you set up a account to crate a nice deposit for the new owners, sell it on your own via L.C. this way you can take it back on a default deal. Now pack up and go have some fun in the RV.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mercedes | Dr RV »