Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Stihl pole saws

Recently while backing into a spot at Queen Whilamina State Park we missed a large limb by inches, just lucky we didn't hit it and ruin our rubber roof.

My wife, the smart one in this outfit, said we needed a pole saw to trim limbs in future parking spots. All our powered equipment is Stihl, have nothing but good things to say about them. My question to the Forum is: Does anyone use a pole saw and carry it on a regular basis? What other comments do you have?

Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, a fellow snowbird carries a manual pole saw. Just ask park mgr before using. Especially state or national parks. A word of caution. My retired neighbor was using an electric one and the limb he cut fell and hit him in the head. Been in a wheel chair for some time now.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Yes, a fellow snowbird carries a manual pole saw. Just ask park mgr before using. Especially state or national parks. A word of caution. My retired neighbor was using an electric one and the limb he cut fell and hit him in the head. Been in a wheel chair for some time now.
I have a Stihl pole saw. You have to be careful and really plan your moves or you can easily get into trouble. Limbs are much heavier than most folks realize unless they are experienced in working in the woods. Anyone operating a pole saw needs to take breaks often while using. These tools are heavy, especially when extended and will tire out an operator rather quickly. I never start mine without wearing my Stihl safety helmet with the mesh mask and ear protection. I never set out on my own to trim trails etc. I always have someone else with me just in case. They can watch for hazards you might not see and possibly stop you if a danger arises.
These saws are not toys. They deserve respect but work well for their intended use.
I don't know about carrying one along in or on a MH. Mine when fully collapsed is about 7' long. I certainly wouldn't want to carry it inside the MH with gas and oil in and on it, especially with the automatic chain oiler which can drip on occasion.
I can speak for the quality of the saw as I have had mine for about 9 years and have had no trouble with it whatsoever. I probably have over 200 hours of use on the saw.
Lynn
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have trimmed a small branch or two by climbing up on my rig and using a hand pruning sheers... very quietly and very minimally. As for the power pole saw, the short answer is... if you don't own the tree, you don't have the right to trim it. Yes, I understand your point that you're trying to get into a space you've just rented but I have been in locations where, even on those terms, management and fellow campers would go ballistic if you come out with a power saw.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

If I was going to buy a pole saw to haul around it would be this battery operated version:

Shop Kobalt 40-Volt Max Lithium Ion (Li-ion) 8-in Cordless Electric Pole Saw at Lowes.com
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

I have a ryobi battery operated pole saw and it's great. Will cut through up to about 6-7 inch limb. Just be careful out there as limbs are always bigger when they come down than they appeared to be up on the tree
Old 08-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Recently while backing into a spot at Queen Whilamina State Park we missed a large limb by inches, just lucky we didn't hit it and ruin our rubber roof.
My wife, the smart one in this outfit, said we needed a pole saw to trim limbs in future parking spots. All our powered equipment is Stihl, have nothing but good things to say about them. My question to the Forum is: Does anyone use a pole saw and carry it on a regular basis? What other comments do you have?
Helipilot
I agree that Stihl makes excellent power equipment, however trimming limbs from trees you do not own is, IMO, a bad idea... (unless you have the permission of the tree owner).
Old 08-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

I carry a manual telescoping pole pruner with a saw attachment. Using a powered unit will draw attention and I don't intend to do heavy tree work anyway. I can do minor pruning of small branches that are in the way, even those that are near ground level.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

I would look into a good battery operated one. I wouldn't want to carry a gallon of pre-mix gasoline in my basement.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

Here at home we use a Black and Decker battery pole saw. It works great, although on a smaller scale I'm sure. And it comes apart and fits in its own carry bag. Seems like that would be good to travel with. One battery lasts as long as I do...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

We also carry a manual pole saw. We are talking about trimming trees, not destroying them and we will not let a tree damage our RV. We ask to trim when possible and if not, we trim just enough to get into our site safely. We find state parks are really bad about tree trimming but COE campgrounds are usually right on top of it. In one Iowa state park, we asked the park manager if he would come and look at some low hanging trees and he did. He also gave us permission to trim as many trees as we wanted since he did not have the budget to take care of it that year because of a rebuild of the park's water plant. Told us just to leave the trimmings beside the roadway and his staff would pick them up. He was happy for the free labor.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

Thanks to all who replied, some great ideas and suggestions. I have had a lot of experience with chain saws having carved our home place out of a mixed pine and hardwood forest. The battery unit is something I will take a look at as it would be much quieter than the gas powered unit. And X2 on getting permission to trim the trees.

PS Sorry to hear about your friend who is in the wheelchair. An neighbor down the road, a professional logger, had a tree fall on him, now in a wheelchair.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not only do you have to be careful not to let the branch/tree fall on you, you also have to be aware of what lives in it.

We had permission to trim up a tree with low branches. When we checked it out we found an active hornets/bees nest hidden in the branches. Needless to say it didn't get trimmed.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Not only do you have to be careful not to let the branch/tree fall on you, you also have to be aware of what lives in it.

We had permission to trim up a tree with low branches. When we checked it out we found an active hornets/bees nest hidden in the branches. Needless to say it didn't get trimmed.

Jon
Very good point Jon !!!! So Far,, the only time I have trimmed trees was this year at a place in AZ that "used to be" a KOA... Could have been a nice smaller rv park.... oh well.....

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote