Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Nobody in D.C. is opposed to compromise....as long as it's the other side that is doing the compromising.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Dieselclacker

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Generally speaking, the older you get, the less volatility you should have in your holdings -- as you have accurately pointed out, your personal "long term" is different at 70.

The short version is -- you should have more than what you expect to need to draw on in stable, liquid assets so that you are never forced to sell volatile stocks at a "down moment." I would not personally, in your position, feel comfortable if I didn't have a good 5 years of "case money" in very stable investments, since it could easily take 5 years for the market in general to recover. And I am a fairly "pro-risk" person, so for many folks, at 70 years of age, the answer would be 10 years, or perhaps all your money in "safe havens" if you can afford it.

Steve
Steve, do "safe havens" still exist in this economy? Do you have suggestions as to where we older folks should stash our cash?

Dieselclacker

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
I agree, there's plenty of other places to discuss the silliness going on in Washington. Besides, I've learned talking religion and politics with strangers is a not a good idea. And I've never met a stranger in a campground, just a lot of good people whose names I don't know, yet.
Thanks, M. 'Hope more people begin to feel the same way.

One member's "if you don't like it don't read it" answer runs in direct contradiction to our Forum's rules of conduct: if we should be called upon to simply avert our eyes in a public forum, the rules by definition would themselves be moot.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
At 70, hopefully you don't have too much in stocks. As one gets older, their holdings should shift toward safer things that provide income. Bonds were supposedly scary, with a lot of talk of $200 billion in defaults. It didn't happen. We have a fair amount in tax free munis paying between 4.5 and 5.75%. None of them have defaulted.

If you're handling your own retirement funding, take a look at sites like Morningstar. There is a lot of good information on how to balance investments and how to change the balance later in life.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
I agree, there's plenty of other places to discuss the silliness going on in Washington. Besides, I've learned talking religion and politics with strangers is a not a good idea. And I've never met a stranger in a campground, just a lot of good people whose names I don't know, yet.
Hear hear, I'm with ya...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

If you make a habit of moving your assets around every time there's a blip in the economy or dim news from Washington DC, you are making a mistake. It is not the path to financial success. Good, solid Growth & Income funds will weather these storms and come back over the long run. Stay invested.
As KJburns has said, a person needs to be tilted more toward income producing assets as they age. An important investing tool is to keep your losses at a minimum when the markets do go down ( and boy have we seen some of that in the last few yrs, huh?)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Doesn't really make any difference what the market does or doesn't do. You have to look at the long run and it has a history of always coming back from whatever happens.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
It's never too late to purchase gold as long as it's coins with numistic value, i.e. 20 dollar gold pieces. I would never purchase bullion, too volatile.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Doesn't really make any difference what the market does or doesn't do. You have to look at the long run and it has a history of always coming back from whatever happens.
The market definitely will come back no matter what this latest political fiasco may bring in the short-term. If one correctly has their investments allocated across equity, bonds and cash, they should just hold on tight and try to ignore the panic in the markets. If the stock market 'crashes' in the next week or so, one can look at it as a chance to buy stocks at bargain prices.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #24

If I understand correctly, the Constitution forbids us from defaulting on any debt. If we don't get things fixed we can't borrow any new money but we (by law) must pay ALL of our debts. We have plenty of assets to pay all of our current obligations so everything you see on the nightly news is nothing more than posturing. It's terrible and I think we should throw out every single politician who is even remotely involved in the current scam being thrust upon the public.
OK, I know that the Republicans want to blame everything on the black guy and all of the Democrats want to blame everything on the Tea Party but the reality is that neither of these are true and it's simply time for our Government to put on their "Big Girl Panties" and do the right thing for a change.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
If I understand correctly, the Constitution forbids us from defaulting on any debt. If we don't get things fixed we can't borrow any new money but we (by law) must pay ALL of our debts. We have plenty of assets to pay all of our current obligations so everything you see on the nightly news is nothing more than posturing. It's terrible and I think we should throw out every single politician who is even remotely involved in the current scam being thrust upon the public.
OK, I know that the Republicans want to blame everything on the black guy and all of the Democrats want to blame everything on the Tea Party but the reality is that neither of these are true and it's simply time for our Government to put on their "Big Girl Panties" and do the right thing for a change.

Whole heartedly agree with your assessment.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #26

Coming back around the horn, the stock market does not panic, the speculators do; as previously said, it's time to hold on and stay the course_well, unless you have time machine to the future. Doc, where are you?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #27

I don't do the stock market and I don't do Las Vegas.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #28

Stock market "always comes back"?

Stay in for the long haul, regardless?

IF I had buried my own various "expert advised" investments out in a tin can in my back yard instead, I'd be 80 grand richer today...

You have to remember, these 30 some odd year old "investment experts" so willing and eager to keep YOU in the market for that "long haul", are the SAME ONES making a living off commissions on YOUR investment $$$...

Financial and related political issues NOT an accepted RVing subject? I'll try to remember that next time my fuel bill arrives - or when I consider the cost of a new RV trip - or a new RV....

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote