Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stock Market Panic?

Is anyone other than me really concerned with their holdings in the stock market? My planner tells me not to worry, stay in for the long term. However, long term at 35 (his age) is a heckuva lot different that 70 (my age). I'd hate to lose the little I have left as it is what allows me to spend summers in cooler climes than Texas. So I guess I'll just stick around in mutuals and pray that someone in DC decides that compromise isn't a dirty word.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Nobody in D.C. is opposed to compromise....as long as it's the other side that is doing the compromising.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far the markets are not reacting as negatively as the doomsdayer's were predicting. So far...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dennis,
If you get out of the market where will you go? Gold? It's too late. Cash? What will you do when they devalue the dollar? Either way the market will go down but it's only a paper loss until you cash out and the market will recover. If you know you will need cash in the next year you may want to consider taking it now while the market is high rather than take the chance of waiting until next year where it may not have recovered to where it is today.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
So far the markets are not reacting as negatively as the doomsdayer's were predicting. So far...
The markets still cautiously assume that congress will logically come to a solution before 8/2.

Me, I am not so sure...out Tea Party members in congress may just accomplish their goal of "saying no" to anything but exactly what they demand...they forget that others with different solutions were also elected by their districts...and that the Senate and Presidency "maybe" should have "some" input?? Why or why has "compromise" become a 4 letter word!

IF no agreement is reached...I just hope we all remember that the Tea Party says..."Don't worry, the "government" is lying to you...nothing will happen if we do not raise the debt ceiling".

With our incoming cash only equal to 60% of our already committed spending...it would be interesting to see just who doesn't get paid

Oh well, at least I could invest idle cash at a much higher interest rate...to bad the national debt will also carry a MUCH higher interest rate...will just make it all the more difficult to balance the budget...but again I worry for naught..."nothing bad will happen".

We soon shall know...FWIW...Thanks for listening...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please, lets not turn this into a political showdown. The mods have enough to do keeping the spammers and such at bay.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Please, lets not turn this into a political showdown. The mods have enough to do keeping the spammers and such at bay.
Sorry, I thought the "conversation" section may be for OT wide ranging discussions...I will act accordingly

To restate my response to the OP...Yes, I am quite concerned about my equity holdings...but do anticipate an opportunity to increase yield of my liquid cash (ie money market holdings). I would not mind seeing the 10 year T-Bill rate back up in the high 4%-near 5% rate...which could happen shortly.

On the other hand...I have anticipated an opportunity to increase the yield on my cash holdings for quite some time...so far I have been quite wrong!

Thanks...Tom R
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Cash is king. I personally am not waiting for the market crash or not. I am taking my money and running hard and fast. In fact I will be making some major changes this afternoon. If I am wrong I will take a hit but Iam not going to loose that much if I am right I will save a bundle.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Cash is king. I personally am not waiting for the market crash or not. I am taking my money and running hard and fast. In fact I will be making some major changes this afternoon. If I am wrong I will take a hit but Iam not going to loose that much if I am right I will save a bundle.
Brian...may be a good choice. The bad choice is to wait until there actually is a "crash" and then sell

That is what many did during the 2007/2008/2009 market swoon. IF you hold through any decline...think twice before selling "after" the event. Remember...we are supposed to "Buy low and sell high"...not "Buy high and sell low"... Tom R
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Brian...may be a good choice. The bad choice is to wait until there actually is a "crash" and then sell

That is what many did during the 2007/2008/2009 market swoon. IF you hold through any decline...think twice before selling "after" the event. Remember...we are supposed to "Buy low and sell high"...not "Buy high and sell low"... Tom R
At my age there really isn't much of a long term option so I work mostly on a survival plan.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #11

Generally speaking, the older you get, the less volatility you should have in your holdings -- as you have accurately pointed out, your personal "long term" is different at 70.

The short version is -- you should have more than what you expect to need to draw on in stable, liquid assets so that you are never forced to sell volatile stocks at a "down moment." I would not personally, in your position, feel comfortable if I didn't have a good 5 years of "case money" in very stable investments, since it could easily take 5 years for the market in general to recover. And I am a fairly "pro-risk" person, so for many folks, at 70 years of age, the answer would be 10 years, or perhaps all your money in "safe havens" if you can afford it.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Thanks, folks.

I come here to hide from all the current hysteria and propaganda, to learn about the wonderful world of RV'ing.

The rules say we stick to our love of RVs.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Thanks, folks.

I come here to hide from all the current hysteria and propaganda, to learn about the wonderful world of RV'ing.

Nothing personal but you don't have to read anything you don't want to. As listed this is just conversation and, the name of the thread should be a clue as to whether you are interested. So far at least it has not turned political and I hope it won't. Most of us here are retired and many of us live and are able to travel because of our investments. Go to any campground and get a group around the campfire right now and I bet it would be a lot worse than this.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Thanks, folks.

I agree, there's plenty of other places to discuss the silliness going on in Washington. Besides, I've learned talking religion and politics with strangers is a not a good idea. And I've never met a stranger in a campground, just a lot of good people whose names I don't know, yet.