Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
We were in Utah last year and got pulled over by a state trooper. I was on the interstate running 81 in an 80 zone. He took my license and wrote me a warning ticket. When he came back to the car he started out explaining how the speed limit had just been raised and that the governor said no tolerance, then he began to scold me, at that point I stopped him. I explained that I appreciate him giving me a warning ticket but I would not be a party to his rant. He quickly changed his attitude and off I went. Sometimes you can't explain someone's behavior or reason. Job stress I guess.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The DW and I were in the toad, heading to town from the CG, here in upstate NY.

Zipping along, I see a trooper in the mirror. That's when I notice the 35 MPH sign on the other side of the road in my rear view mirror.

OK, they got me. I pull over and the trooper takes my papers and runs them.

When he comes back, he says he doesn't want to write me for 53 in a 35 zone and goes on about the neighbors complaning and his boss wanting him to write something to justifie the stop.

That's when it gets weird. He offers to write me a "dirty plate" ticket.

I hesitate a few seconds and he leans in and asks my DW what she thinks. "Oh, don't ask me", was her response.

I told him I didn't feel comfortable with that. After a long pause, he handed me my license and snapped "Get your car washed" and let me go.

I was willing to take the speeding ticket, what would others do, in this situation ?
I can't believe this would even be a dilemma for you or anyone. The cops can't win for losing today, even when the guy treated you nicely. He could have easily given you a speeding ticket for 18 mph over. That would have been costly, maybe you should look up the fine with all the county and court assessments, they are usually double whatever the fine is. And just so you know if your license plate is dirty to the point it is hard to read there is an actual Vehicle Code section for that, and that is a legitimate violation. In addition he is working a complaint zone where he is expected to write the tickets, but still gave you a break.

But this guy was just being a decent Cop, and gave you a break, yet you still question his motive or what you should have done, or make your comment "this is when it gets weird". This is why some Cops never give anyone a break and "just do their job". Many times after I had stopped someone for a moving violation such as this and I contacted them I realized they were just decent people not paying attention. I would give them a "fix it ticket" for a real equipment violation( you can almost always find one) so that they were inconvenienced with having to repair the bad equipment, and get it signed off, but did not have to go thru the court process. And most importantly they did not get any points against their license, or have their insurance rates increased. It was always my hope that they would appreciate the lesser ticket, and cause them to be more careful in how they operate and cared for their vehicles.

Oh yeah and I would ask them what ticket they wanted, and no I wasn't being "weird" I was just trying to make a point that it was their lucky day and they should improve their driving habits in the future to avoid a potential accident. I would say everybody got the message and appreciated the discretion I used and didn't complain about it. They could have run into a cop that would have just written the ticket and would have been totally justified.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank the cop for a bogus ticket ?
You bet I would! However you got away unblemished. That is a real bonus IMO.
Mr. Officer Sir, "Please have a good day". Thank You!
Lynn.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #18

Well if you just got a warning or just got the driveway. Consider yourself blessed.!. Obviously he was being kind, and wanted to let you know that you were doing something wrong. You should have said thank you! And left it that way. You ran your plates probably knowing that you were a visitor and truly didn't want to ruin your vacation or whatever you were doing camping. I think the rest of that was kind of a dry humor thing. Be grateful? Or not? It's up to you. Please be careful out there and enjoy the season!... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #19

Sounds like a no brainer to me, thanks and leave.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #20

Had a conversation with local LEO regarding some hints...

One I thought was funny is their inside "guide" is always ticket the crying woman.

It seems that more often than not the tears are fake and just an attempt to game the cop...They stated that when they start to give in usually the attitude starts to come out badly.

Best is to be happy and friendly while clearly admitting the crime.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #21

It would take me 2 seconds to say, "Thank you very much officer, I'll watch my speed in the future".
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:03 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
The officer was being very kind. It is very easy to go " over the limit" and he gave you a lucky break! You were cruising too fast .. Take it and be happy you did not have to go to traffic school or a court date. Recently, I have heard of two " dirty plate" incidences where their plate reader could not " make out" the numbers..

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Twinboat, you're instinctively honest. Thank you for that.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #24

Quote:
The DW and I were in the toad, heading to town from the CG, here in upstate NY.

Zipping along, I see a trooper in the mirror. That's when I notice the 35 MPH sign on the other side of the road in my rear view mirror.

OK, they got me. I pull over and the trooper takes my papers and runs them.

When he comes back, he says he doesn't want to write me for 53 in a 35 zone and goes on about the neighbors complaning and his boss wanting him to write something to justifie the stop.

That's when it gets weird. He offers to write me a "dirty plate" ticket.

I hesitate a few seconds and he leans in and asks my DW what she thinks. "Oh, don't ask me", was her response.

I told him I didn't feel comfortable with that. After a long pause, he handed me my license and snapped "Get your car washed" and let me go.

I was willing to take the speeding ticket, what would others do, in this situation ?
Exactly as you! Almost smacks of bait N switch, offering to write a bogus ticket and getting you to agree; because he knew he didn't have proof of speeding.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
We were in Utah last year and got pulled over by a state trooper. I was on the interstate running 81 in an 80 zone. He took my license and wrote me a warning ticket. When he came back to the car he started out explaining how the speed limit had just been raised and that the governor said no tolerance, then he began to scold me, at that point I stopped him. I explained that I appreciate him giving me a warning ticket but I would not be a party to his rant. He quickly changed his attitude and off I went. Sometimes you can't explain someone's behavior or reason. Job stress I guess.
A friend beat a speeding ticket like yours. He told the judge(federal court because it was on an Army base) his speedometer was marked in 5 mph segments and he couldn't distinguish 30 from 29 or 31 mph. His CO was not so understanding_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #26

I would have written you a ticket. I always wrote a ticket for 15 mph or faster over the limit. You were 18 mph over in a 35. Slow down! Pay attention!
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Makes you wonder. There was a series of traffic tickets that were cancelled. Tickets were in a valid reduce speed zone but the sign had been knocked down and had not been replaced. A motorist who was ticketed turned around and did a run from the last higher speed sign with a video camera. Then went to the city and got the information from the streets work order system when the sign was requested to be replaced.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Exactly as you! Almost smacks of bait N switch, offering to write a bogus ticket and getting you to agree; because he knew he didn't have proof of speeding.
No it's not bait and switch......it's called discretion(read my earlier post)....a dirty license plate is not a "bogus ticket"....Had the poor Cop have written him a speeding ticket, then everyone of you who think the Cop was crooked or unethical because he did this, would be saying the speeding ticket was BS because it wasn't an unsafe speed. These are the same guys that will put their life on the line for you in a heartbeat, but for some reason when they give someone a break they are up to no good????

Writing someone for 18 mph over the speed limit is a costly ticket. How do you know that he didn't have it on radar, even the OP admits he was speeding. So the Cop gives him a break and now he's still the bad guy just giving people a hard time with no "proof"....And you wonder why there are Cops out there that just do their job by the Letter of the Law and use no discretion.... Can't have your cake and eat it too....I learned that in kindergarten.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote