Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I'll try.....

The policeman doesn't make the laws. He also pays auto insurance. He knows that a ticket for going 20 miles over the posted speed limit could end up resulting in hundreds if not thousands in fines and extra insurance cost. He made the decision that maybe those cost were more than it should be. Warning doesn't cause people to slow down. An actually ticket of some type might send a message to "slow" down?

p.s. #1 thing to say to get out of a speeding ticket.

" I'm not really comfortable with the non-moving violation. " NOT!
In your senerao, the cop is being the cop, judge and jury.

P.S. #1, It worked for me

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you trying to "punk" me?
My moto, Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #45

retired NY City dete
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My plate was not dirty. The car was covered in tree pollen and sap from the CG but not on the plate.

I'm not trying to make cops out as a bad guys. I also don't need the "Cops have dangerous jobs" speech. My son is a ctive. I lived with that for 21 years.

Funny thing is, I have a signed "NYC Detectives Endowment Association" card in my wallet that my son said to present if stopped. Could it have helped, I don't know, I forgot about it.
I give up.....
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
retired NY City dete

I give up.....
Good.

I figured out your answer, you would take the offer.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #47

Politely say, "Officer that would certainly be appreciated provided it would not get you in trouble or me in even more trouble, thank you."
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerwin View Post
Politely say, "Officer that would certainly be appreciated provided it would not get you in trouble or me in even more trouble, thank you."
Officer that would certainly be appreciated provided it would not get you in trouble.

That first part of your statement would have be a great response.

Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for the question. It's not like I had a chance to mull it over. Besides, I wasn't comfortable with it.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
retired NY City dete

I give up.....
I agree, cops can't win. If he gives a ticket people say what a jerk they are, but if he cuts someone a break people accuse him of blackmail. The world we live in today is crazy!
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #50

I think OP has official proven to himself that he is a very moral person. Well done.
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #51

Give them a break!

In my 35 plus years in communications I have worked with many LEO at all levels from top to bottom and with the exception of a few here and there most just want to have a pleasant work day without stress or discontent.

Most will just write the ticket but a pleasant attitude on your part often may get a lower reported speed.

These guys have more paperwork than most of us desire so writing a ticket does take some work on their part.

You as a citizen are usually not expected to know all of the rules and laws so it would be highly unlikely anyone is trying to set you up for trouble.

If 2 come to the door then one could be testing the other...Just smile and thank them for their service.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #52

The leaning into the toad to ask DW her opinion was to look and smell. like someone said you should have gone to buy a lottery ticket.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #53

I've written many equipment or administrative tickets instead of a moving violation. Its usually cheaper and the insurance companies dont get to justify higher rates with it. All the bosses want are stats. They don't care what they are. If you can cut a good person a break, why not?

....Besides being called crooked and accused of blackmailing of course. That's today's world I guess and the reason many just go out without a heart and lay the hammer down with no discretion.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #54

Quote:
My feeling is that he should have ticketed me for the speed I was doing, for a lesser speed, or handed me the dirty plate ticket, telling me I got a break.

That makes perfect sense.

What I didn't expect, was to be sitting on the sholder of the road, discussing if a lesser, unfounded offence would be acceptable to me, or my wife.

That makes no sense.
Maybe I'm a little dense but the officers actions make me wonder what the heck was he thinking. And since I'm a little dense, please spell it out to me.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Good.

I figured out your answer, you would take the offer.
No you missed my point altogether....You got a good break I would have thanked him and just be happy and moved on rather than question anybody's motives or integrity. That's what I would have done. He was only trying to help you.....
Old 06-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Maybe I'm a little dense but the officers actions make me wonder what the heck was he thinking. And since I'm a little dense, please spell it out to me.
Please Re-read my response in post #16, It pretty much "spells it out" for you how/why he along with numerous other Officers handle situations like this. He was truly being a nice guy but subsequently gets accused of having ulterior or unethical motives. Hopefully not too many working Cops will read this thread as they may no longer give us RV'ers a break and just write the tickets next time, using no discretion.