Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #57

My son was pulled over for doing 70 in a 55. The officer asked for his DL, registration and proof of insurance. He was very polite and compliant to the officer.

When the officer returned he gave my son a ticket for not providing proof of insurance with the explanation that if he went to the courthouse with proof, the fine would be only $10. My son said that he had given him proof but the officer said as he handed back his papers, "No you didn't.", gave him a wink and said "Slow down in the future."

When he got home my son asked me what happened. I told him the officer just gave you a huge break for being respectful and obedient.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #58

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am really confused by how this thread is going. One day I got stopped for 6 over the limit in a 55 zone. The cop said the fine would be about $100 plus costs, but said he could give me a $36 ticket for misuse of resources, I jumped at the chance. I don't understand why anyone would not accept an offer similar to that, thank the officer and be on his way. I just can't understand why the OP would have such a screwed up response to the offer.

Glenn

Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #59

The OP didn't understand his options. The officer asked him if he would accept an unrelated lesser charge, and then asked his wife her opinion. That's a bit confusing. To my understanding an officer doesn't ask if an offender will accept a citation and certainly doesn't open up his offer to opinions. The officer in these situations is suppose to be in charge, not offering options.

If the officer said: " Sir you are 18 mph over the speed limit, but I'm going to give you a break and ticket you for a dirty license plate", even I can understand that. But that is not what took place.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
The OP didn't understand his options. The officer asked him if he would accept an unrelated lesser charge, and then asked his wife her opinion. That's a bit confusing. To my understanding an officer doesn't ask if an offender will accept a citation and certainly doesn't open up his offer to opinions. The officer in these situations is suppose to be in charge, not offering options.

If the officer said: " Sir you are 18 mph over the speed limit, but I'm going to give you a break and ticket you for a dirty license plate", even I can understand that. But that is not what took place.
It's a matter of semantics, that's basically what the Officer was saying, who knows how it was actually delivered. That could be in fact the way the Officer actually said it but was perceived/reported in a different manner. It really doesn't matter though as it can be clearly seen the Officer was trying to be a nice guy and give him a break. Where I worked about half of us in a fairly large Department had some type of RV's, and they read these forums that's how I found out about IRV2. Just for what's it's worth next time they may not be so willing to give a fellow RV'er a break.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #61

His first comment was that he didn't want to write me a speeding ticket but needed to do something.....

The next part I remember clearly;

" I can't find anything wrong with your car, how would you feel if I wrote you a ticket for a dirty license plate ?".

Then, looking in the window at my DW;

"How would YOU feel about that ?"

That's how it was presented.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #62

Well maybe he wasn't really smooth about how he delivered the message, nobody's perfect. But he was trying to, and did give you a big break, and at the same time make sure you got the message...That's all I've been trying to say, nothing that I would personally complain about.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #63

NC law requires LE be notified immediately if you have a CWP and are armed. Over the last 45 years or so I have been stopped for a violation or most often at license checks. I believe every time I was treated respectfully and fairly. Only twice asked to see the CWP and only once asked where the weapon was located. Only once did complying with the law bring an attitude and that was from a NC trooper. After he was finished he said "you don't draw yours and I'll not draw mine". That was stupid as he was not prepared when he came to my window. Just before departing I said "be safe always" and hope he thought about his procedure.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #64

Wow!

First off, how can anyone be responsible enough to drive from place to place, and not understand that the cop was cutting you a break?

Next, maybe it was not blackmail, or some dry humor, but exactly what the cop said. Maybe he was cutting you a break, but had to do something to satisfy the neighbors who may be paying attention, or his boss who clearly was paying attention?

Lets look on to the many offers of Twinboat being so honest. His own posts said that he was willing to take the ticket for what he did, or for a lesser speed, or for some other offense. This was not about twinboat being in a moral dilema about the truth, but instead was simply confused about the offer of a lesser ticket.

I think it is clear that the cop was cutting you a break, that he understood you could not figure out, and was asking your wife to explain to you that you should thank him for the break and move on...

Its all fine and dandy that you were willing to take a ticket for doing what you were doing. That is honorable. But this complaint takes away from it.

The cop has discretion. When he does not cut a break, people complain that he could have. When he does cut a break, some are still not happy.

Just last month, I was in a local area, and rolled thru a stop sign without a complete stop. Enough of one to be in control, and see that it was safe, but not a complete stop. Sure enough, 1000 yards the other side, I get pulled over (first time in years) with my 16 year old son in the car.

Officer walks up, asks for license and papers, I tell him where they are, and get them. He asks if I know why he stopped me, and I tell him because I just did a 'rolling stop' at the sign... He then asked about the thin blue line sticker on my rear bumper. "what does that sticker mean?"

I told him I knew I was wrong about the improper stop, and that the line was him and his buddies standing between me an chaos.

He liked that. Quoted the chaos line back to me. Gave me a warning ticket, and told me to pay better attention to signs.

I thanked him for his service, and for giving me a break. All was good.

Life can be pretty easy if you let it. Support the things you want to grow, treat people as you want to be treated, and appreciate it when they do the same.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Dear Twinboat.. That card that your son gave to you is very special! All New York State Troopers ,and regional police will honor that card, no matter how many years that you carry it. It has helped us, many a time, and is invaluable. Our nephew is a retired NY City Policeman. I always hand that card over With the registration and license.. It will, most likely, cut to the chase, and leave you with a lesser, non- moving violation. You could have avoided any unpleasantness that you may have felt...

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I can't believe this would even be a dilemma for you or anyone. The cops can't win for losing today, even when the guy treated you nicely. He could have easily given you a speeding ticket for 18 mph over. That would have been costly, maybe you should look up the fine with all the county and court assessments, they are usually double whatever the fine is. And just so you know if your license plate is dirty to the point it is hard to read there is an actual Vehicle Code section for that, and that is a legitimate violation. In addition he is working a complaint zone where he is expected to write the tickets, but still gave you a break.

But this guy was just being a decent Cop, and gave you a break, yet you still question his motive or what you should have done, or make your comment "this is when it gets weird". This is why some Cops never give anyone a break and "just do their job". Many times after I had stopped someone for a moving violation such as this and I contacted them I realized they were just decent people not paying attention. I would give them a "fix it ticket" for a real equipment violation( you can almost always find one) so that they were inconvenienced with having to repair the bad equipment, and get it signed off, but did not have to go thru the court process. And most importantly they did not get any points against their license, or have their insurance rates increased. It was always my hope that they would appreciate the lesser ticket, and cause them to be more careful in how they operate and cared for their vehicles.

Oh yeah and I would ask them what ticket they wanted, and no I wasn't being "weird" I was just trying to make a point that it was their lucky day and they should improve their driving habits in the future to avoid a potential accident. I would say everybody got the message and appreciated the discretion I used and didn't complain about it. They could have run into a cop that would have just written the ticket and would have been totally justified.
Nice post Mike!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #67

I got stopped once in 1968 in a small rural town at 2AM. There was 4 of us in a 1959 Olds Dynamic 88 towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles heading home to New Jersey from a college in Tennessee. The cop that stopped us causally strolled up to the drivers side window and asked for my licence, and then leaned in the side window shinning his flashlight at each of the other guys. Then he asked where we were going. "New Jersey for Thanksgiving break" I replied. He asked where we were coming from and I replied "Tennessee Tech University". He then said "you college boys have a safe trip home, and get your hair cut before you come back through my town in a week or so, you hear me? I'll be watching for you"! We drove off with him following us till we got to the edge of town and he whooped his siren once as a goodbye.

Let me tell you, that stop sure energized us young guys and we didn't have any trouble staying awake all the way home!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Complete agree with your post. Going back to my youth I have been pulled LOTS of times and have been given major breaks, small breaks, or nailed for what I deserved but NEVER given options or had the LEO ask my passanger what they thought.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I got stopped once in 1968 in a small rural town at 2AM. There was 4 of us in a 1959 Olds Dynamic 88...........

.............."you college boys have a safe trip home, and get your hair cut before you come back through my town in a week or so, you hear me? I'll be watching for you"!
Yes but..........did you get your hair cut?????

I gotta know!!!!!!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Yes but..........did you get your hair cut?????

I gotta know!!!!!!

g
I was wondering the same thing.....