Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storage of RV and heating it with wood :)

I understand that a lot (most?) of us store our RV's either unsheltered or in an unheated shelter. I have an unusual situation maybe but I have an "outdoor wood furnace" that creates hot water to heat my house.

So given I have that has anyone thought of taking the hot water to the RV just like the house and heating the RV? I'm not sure it would prevent winterizing if you didn't circulate the heat with the furnace but if you did it seems like this might actually be a good approach...again for those with a wood furnace. The heat uses a bit more wood than just the house but it seems like this might work. For those of us who do this we look at the wood heat as "plentiful".

Thoughts?

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #2

Thoughts .
Best way to avoid winterizing. October first , load coach; October second start coach and proceed south, till no local you meet knows the meaning of the term " wind chill ". Have a neighbor call you to come home when your grass needs cutting in the spring.
Sorry; I couldn't resist.
Are you talking heating a building with your RV inside , or installing a heat exchanger in your RV. Even " Winter ready " RV's require that the furnace run and circulate the heat to avoid freeze up.
JMHO: I'd still want to winterize.
Can't say that there would be any advantage to heating an RV all winter. 15 years and 4 , 5ers before I retired and went with the above plan. I'd just winterize the plumbing, and put chemical air dryer in the RV, remove the battery for indoor storage. Never an issue, that I could relate to being frozen.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Dont let the wood stove go out

I think heating an RV all winter would be a disaster.....They are not insulated very well, which would lead to heat escaping, ice buildup and constantly running water on the roof and sides....a potentially bad thing.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 AM   #4

I have an outdoor wood furnace also and I heat the house and attached 2 car garage. A separate loop heats my detached garage where RV is stored. Everything 72 degrees. I use 35 cords of wood!
Garage is about 2400 sq. feet so I used about 9 loops of PEX in the concrete floor, manifolds in and out, heat exchanger and pump. I run both a thermostat and a timer as I only heat the garage partial at night (house has priority).
If you already built the garage it is fairly easy to heat with one loop and a air handler w/coil.
As previously mentioned, I would not heat inside of the RV only as you would risk condensation damage.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I have an outdoor wood furnace also and I heat the house and attached 2 car garage. A separate loop heats my detached garage where RV is stored. Everything 72 degrees. I use 35 cords of wood!
Garage is about 2400 sq. feet so I used about 9 loops of PEX in the concrete floor, manifolds in and out, heat exchanger and pump. I run both a thermostat and a timer as I only heat the garage partial at night (house has priority).
If you already built the garage it is fairly easy to heat with one loop and a air handler w/coil.
As previously mentioned, I would not heat inside of the RV only as you would risk condensation damage.
Yeah that's probably a better plan....just heat the enclosure. Just was thinking why go thru the "middle man" of heating the outside of the RV. As you seem to indicate like me...extra wood to heat the garage is no big deal if it's just a few more ricks of wood.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Yeah that's probably a better plan....just heat the enclosure. Just was thinking why go thru the "middle man" of heating the outside of the RV. As you seem to indicate like me...extra wood to heat the garage is no big deal if it's just a few more ricks of wood.
Just think about all the exciting projects you can tackle over the winter in a heated garage! Much colder here but I guess Indiana can get chilly for a couple of months...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes

Quote:
Just think about all the exciting projects you can tackle over the winter in a heated garage! Much colder here but I guess Indiana can get chilly for a couple of months...
Of course that does require me to actually build a garage LOL

It did occur to me that part of the argument here had been that heating the MH all winter was bad but they are supposed to be capable of winter use right?

So, to switch comments, Dan, you have a Wrangler, does that work well for you?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
35 cords of wood? Dude you are getting some awesome exercise!!!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Of course that does require me to actually build a garage LOL

It did occur to me that part of the argument here had been that heating the MH all winter was bad but they are supposed to be capable of winter use right?

So, to switch comments, Dan, you have a Wrangler, does that work well for you?
When you build the garage, make sure you put the PEX in the floor. Heating the floor is soooo much better than heating with forced air.

And I really don't think I would usre my motorhome in the winter, not in Canadian winter anyways. I can just see 3 days at -40 and the Aqua Hot decides to quit....

And yes, the Wrangler is an ideal tow-car. 1- Easy to tow 2- It's a convertible. 3- It's a Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
35 cords of wood? Dude you are getting some awesome exercise!!!!
Yes, totally agree. The exercise is great and I'm cleaning up my woodlot (about 25 acres) and building trails all over. Sometimes I wonder though as to how long I can keep this going. I'm 57 now.

Tags
heating, storage