Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Strange Bug Bites

https://flic.kr/p/z4ZaVA
My wife and I were in Gilroy, CA at a nice campground and went to sleep. At about 1 AM, I awoke with my back itching FIERCELY! After my wife scratched it we both went back to sleep. Waking up at 7 AM with more itching, my wife said my back was covered with red welts. We had had our chairs under a tree frequented by birds, had bought some stuffed toys for our granddaughter at a tag sale, and have a dog (all relevent clues). My wife had a few bites, but I had the majority.
Looking on the internet, it appeared they were bed bug bites. We had not been in anybody's house (or a hotel) for weeks! Unfortunately, we were going to our daughter's house the next day. In a parking lot near her house we showered, put on clean clothes, and did our best to isolate her house from the bug problem.
The following day, I vacuumed the entire 24 ft. camper with a new wet-dry vac using a disposable bag, then I insect-bombed the camper. Unfortunately, my wife got new bites while staying at our daughter's house. I went to Burning Man in the camper while she stayed with our daughter. My wife went to a dermatologist to determine the cause, and the dermatologist said "bedbugs".
Telling our daughter the news, she suggested hiring a bedbug-sniffing dog to determine the cause. Sniffing both the house as well as the retained disposable bag, the dog found NOTHING.
The problem is now gone. Nothing at our daughter's, and nothing in the camper. My question is "what the hell was it?". The bites itched INTENSELY, and left scars without being scratched. We thought it could be:

1. Bedbugs from stuffed toys purchased at the tag sale.
2. Bird mite bites (since our seats were under a tree full of birds at night).

I had also (before the insect bomb) set up a bedbug "trap" using yeast and sugar water, which yielded nothing. Duct tape in the detritus from the bag revealed no bugs of any kind.

If anyone has any clue as to what actually caused this, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance!
Tanksalotct
tanksalotct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Sounds like you had jitters
Horseshoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Sorry jiggers
Horseshoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

Red bugs, chiggers, jiggers, same insect. Small almost microscopic, red, found in a wide range of environments

Chiggers: Bites Treatment and Chigger Bite Pictures
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

I wouldn't guess chiggers. They are gotten outside especially in overgrown areas.

I would say bedbugs or perhaps no see-ums which can come through your screens.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
not sure they are not bedbugs. Never had them - Thank Goodness, but that is one reason we never stay at cheap motels anymore. Sounds like you make have brought something in with the stuffed toys.
Do they have sand fleas on the west coast?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
There has been an outbreak of oak tree mites, and yes, they drop from trees and will bite leaving welts and itch like the devil.
Itch Mites Linked to Oak Trees Plaguing Midwesterners Again 10/18/05
it sources from the midwest, but I believe they are wherever it is warm enough for them... Yes, it's a 10 year old article, but we had them again bad this year, esp. on children who spend a lot of time outside. BTW... it's wrong time of year for chiggars, too cold here in our part of the country but maybe not down south yet.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's a recent article
Oak leaf itch mites could persist ‘for several more weeks’ (+video) | The Wichita Eagle