Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love my TomTom most of the time. The exception is when I get off the Interstate and the crazy thing sends me down a dirt road called Un Named only to miss a turn which isn't there and no place to turn the Winnebago with a toad around.
Steve , Cheryl & Peanuut
Winnebago Adventurer
South Ga
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
Love my TomTom most of the time. The exception is when I get off the Interstate and the crazy thing sends me down a dirt road called Un Named only to miss a turn which isn't there and no place to turn the Winnebago with a toad around.
Steve , Cheryl & Peanuut
Winnebago Adventurer
South Ga
That's one of the reasons I upgraded to the Rand McNally RVND 5510. It allow you to input your RV data so that it doesn't route down a path that doesn't fit your RV. So far I've found it to be very accurate.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
. If i remember the exit # part of the sign will be on the side of the sign that the exit is on.
You are right. If you look at the overhead sign post, a left exit will have the sign at the far left of the overhead, right exit on the far right of the signpost.

My husband's favorite town in Utah is Beaver, Utah. (giggle)
weedpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedpatch View Post
You are right. If you look at the overhead sign post, a left exit will have the sign at the far left of the overhead, right exit on the far right of the signpost.

A friend and I drove by there to and from Wyoming last month (for the third year in a row). We still get a chuckle about it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess I'm the only one that uses the GPS app in my iphone? It sometimes doesn't know it's right from it's left, but can get me to where I'm going all the time.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonLover View Post
In San Diego, on Interstate 5 where it cuts right through the heart of the city near the harbor, there is a helpful freeway sign that states, "CRUISE SHIPS USE AIRPORT EXIT."

I've always found that a bit funny. :-)

I will have to look for that......it must be on the south bound side I haven't seen it on the North bound side.....of course i stay as far away from Lindbergh Field as I can. And I haven't driven on I-5 any where near Downtown San Diego in almost a year,
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just north of St Ignace on I-75 in the upper peninsula of Michigan, there was a sign that said "Detour Next Right." When the state got tired of getting complaints from seriously lost tourists they changed the exit sign to read, "City of DeTour Next Right."

Then the only people upset were the businesses along that route who suddenly had a 99% drop in pass by traffic.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #22

You have to watch those GPS things. They have our house address on the wrong side of the road about 1/4 west of us.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
no, it's right. you need to move.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #24

There are places where the sign is on the right side ( connected to the overpass rail or whatever. With those ,you could never count on which side the exit would be on.
I would drive slow enough in the center lane and when everyone got by me I could still make the lane changes to exit
I have run into this in cALIFORRNIA Cant recall if it was near the Bay area or in southern cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedpatch View Post

PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #25

I do have some binocs in the center console. I mostly keep them there for when I see another UFO. iPod and cell are there too. Both have cameras.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #26

Somewhere around Beaver, Utah on I-15 there's a "Ranch Road" exit. As you travel from I-15 on I-70 east there are at least 3 or 4 more "Ranch Road" exits we saw on our way to Grand Junction.

That's gotta be one "big" ranch!!! Thought we were in Texas!!!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Heres a couple. Got any others?

i hate it when you are fixin to get on a freeway and are driving up an overpass and have no clue which side your freeway entrance will be. Right or left?.
For some reason the sign is usually a few feet from the entrance/exit and cant be seen from any distance because of the rise in the overpass is too high for you to see from below. thats assuming you can still see that far .
Two solutions: drive in the center lane when approaching and overpass.
Carry Binoculars right next to you so that while youre at the stop light before the overpass,you can scan the horizon. Shucks..even while youre driving even at the last minute you can see if there is a sign and which lane to get into.
It's really not a stupid sign. The exit number is at the top of the sign on a separate board. If that exit number board is flush with the left of the larger sign, it’s a left exit. If the exit number board is flush with the right side of the sign, it’s a right exit! Signage is supposed to indicate exits 1-2 miles upstream barring confusion from multiple merging lanes.
Left exits are much less common than right exits, and are often marked in a yellow section at the bottom of exit signs.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Somewhere around Beaver, Utah on I-15 there's a "Ranch Road" exit. As you travel from I-15 on I-70 east there are at least 3 or 4 more "Ranch Road" exits we saw on our way to Grand Junction.

That's gotta be one "big" ranch!!! Thought we were in Texas!!!!

Regards, Hamshog
I've noticed that.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote