Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Stupid Signs

Heres a couple. Got any others?

i hate it when you are fixin to get on a freeway and are driving up an overpass and have no clue which side your freeway entrance will be. Right or left?.
For some reason the sign is usually a few feet from the entrance/exit and cant be seen from any distance because of the rise in the overpass is too high for you to see from below. thats assuming you can still see that far .
Two solutions: drive in the center lane when approaching and overpass.
Carry Binoculars right next to you so that while youre at the stop light before the overpass,you can scan the horizon. Shucks..even while youre driving even at the last minute you can see if there is a sign and which lane to get into.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Microsoft Streets and trips will tell you in adavnce

So will most GPS navigators. Exit left 10 miles.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is exactly why i carry a GPS in the motorhome and toad. I also carry a map, but the GPS always has the entrance side right.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

Many years ago, Readers Digest had a "know how to travel" test. Or something like that. Any way as i remember one of the questions referee to this problem. If i remember the exit # part of the sign will be on the side of the sign that the exit is on.

Wish I could find that again. Had several neat thing like that in it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have always hated those signs when entering a freeway. Instead of having to N or S, E or W.
They have a name of a City on them. and you have just a split second to decide which city you want to head for. And you don't have any idea where those city's are.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Love my Garmin...
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hate those "Yield" signs. Every time I see one, I put the window down and yield and yield, still no one paid attention, just kept going

Dave
Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Microsoft Streets and trips will tell you in adavnce

So will most GPS navigators. Exit left 10 miles.
--------------------------------------------------------
Oh, Ive never used one. maps have always worked well for me. Rarely have a problem,that i recall! Right now,other than the exit issue I cant imagine it providing me with much else. Maybe i should read about them and maybe Id jog my memory and supply me with enough reasons to get one.

There would have to be enough advantages to justify the enormous slow learning curve id go through.
I usually consult google maps. finds all gas stations and prices, stores and names numbers.
I guess a big diff is you can do it from the driver or passenger seat,where with a laptop its easier to plot my day before hand at the table.
I try not to use a laptop driving as its worse than rrading a map while driving.(Pulling over is usually an option,but wouldnt advise on a freeway.

Maybe a gps would have helped when I was heading south on the 580,I think,toward San Jose Ca and when arriving at the freeway interchange on the east side of the san Fransisco - Bay Bridge i,I accidentally ended up going West onto the Bay Bridge which took me down town SF,if it werent for my daring escape on the island just before SF.
Created a scene right out of the movie"Panic in the year Zero . Its another story at a later time,that only an RVer or trucker can appreciate!

Thats the only place I recall making that error...and twice!.
There's something about that fwy exchange,but i really couldnt figure out wha happened.
Anyone else experience the same issue there?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the 80's we were south of Mountain Home, ID in the desert. A rather large sign said " Watch out for White Horses in a Snow Storm". The temp must have been over 100 and the kids could not stop laughing about the sign.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

In San Diego, on Interstate 5 where it cuts right through the heart of the city near the harbor, there is a helpful freeway sign that states, "CRUISE SHIPS USE AIRPORT EXIT."

I've always found that a bit funny. :-)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
--------------------------------------------------------
Oh, Ive never used one. maps have always worked well for me. Rarely have a problem,that i recall! Right now,other than the exit issue I cant imagine it providing me with much else. Maybe i should read about them and maybe Id jog my memory and supply me with enough reasons to get one.
The newer ones not only tell you when the exit is approaching, they show you which lane you need to be in - some even have what they call a "realistic junction view" so as you approach an interchange that may have different lanes for several different highways it'll show you where you need to be...

They also have points of interest - fuel, food, motels, entertainment, etc. so you can find your way pretty much anywhere. We never go anywhere without ours...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
I hate those "Yield" signs. Every time I see one, I put the window down and yield and yield, still no one paid attention, just kept going

Dave
Me thinks you're a bit confused

One definition of the word "Yield" = To give up one's place, as to one that is superior.

One definition of the word "yelled"= To cry out loudly, as in pain, fright, surprise, or enthusiasm.

Some times in traffic the words are interchangable. Hopefully one does not lead to the other.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There is an exit off I-75 through Dayton, Oh for Needmore Road, I have always thought if they need more road, just build it.

Just north of Detroit is an exit for Big Beaver Road, it's exit 69. So many people found it funny they created a website about it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's one thing I like about out Garmin GPS unit. So far I would have to say that it has been 99% accurate regarding freeway exit directions. I know the feeling being in a strange town and not knowing which way the exit is.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote