Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone View Post
When wife and I went Disneyworld in florida many years ago we stopped at a McDonalds to eat. we paid for our food with travelers checks and the young girl at the register said "wow, what country is this money from"?
We encountered that back in 1971 - I believe it was in Tennessee or western North Carolina. We were on our way from our wedding in California to Fort Bragg, NC where I was stationed, and stopped for gas at a small gas station. We paid with a travelers' cheque and the guy looked at it, then excused himself and took it in the back room. A couple of minutes later a cop car pulls up out front and the cop walks in as the gas guy returns from the back. He shows the cop the "funny money" - the cop looks at it, laughs, and explains to the guy what it is. We all had a good laugh at that!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #114

Being disabled with a service dog presents it's own unique opportunities for stupid questions and comments. Here one that happens on a regular basis to a lot of us.

After parking the car at a mall in a handicapped spot and getting out of the car with Jin in harness and me with dark glasses on. Security cop comes over and says, "You can't park there, that's for handicapped people." Then he sees the dark glasses and dog., "Oh I'm sorry I didn't see that you were blind. It's ok for you to park there." I normally don't say anything just walk away being obviously careful not to trip on the curb and waiting to see how long it is before they figure out I'm not blind. When it clicks it usually makes for a lot of anger from the rent-a-cop who at that point jumps in front of me with accusations of impersonating a blind person and more. At that point I usually take off my glasses (theatrical style) and respond with something like, "I'm sorry I can't hear you I'm deaf... Talk to the dog he does my hearing for me." I even had one guy asked me how long it took me to teach the dog to drive.

Better are the children who recognize Jin is a service dog and them telling their parents, ""No Mummy, you can't touch that dog, it's a helper." Amazing that kinds seem to know more about service dogs than adults do.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #115
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
And the #1 worst question is...............drum roll please................

Do I look fat in this?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #116

Walking through the mall the other day I had a fellow at a small kiosk say to me "Can I ask you a question?"

My response "You just did!" and I keep walking by. :-)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
Not really a stupid question, but here's my story and I'm still laughing about it:

Yesterday I drove to the local pharmacy to pick up a prescription. The girl working the drive-thru window was new (at least I hadn't seen her before). I told her I needed to pick up a prescription for Oliver xxxx. She said, "What's his date of birth?" I replied, "I don't know. I picked him up off the street." You should have seen the strange look on her face -- then I added, "Oliver's a dog."
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #118

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
When we tell people that we drove to 49 States , a lot will ask which one did we miss.
This reminded me of when I took one of my kids to the Greyhound bus station, and I noticed on the wall, 5 clocks with labels:

New York
Chicago
Salt Lake
Los Angeles
Honolulu

I REALLY wanted to ASK a stupid question about that last clock...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several years ago I worked on a help desk for computer support. Oh, the stories I could tell.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #120
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
Several years ago I worked on a help desk for computer support. Oh, the stories I could tell.
We're listening

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We're listening

Cliff

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #122

Send a message via Skype™ to Shutterbug71
Talking Alaska Tourists

I lived in Juneau Alaska for 5 years - and loved it !! - and I heard some very interesting questions from tourists while I was there:

One summer, I was working for a company that takes people on helicopter flights up to Mendenhall Glacier and lets them walk around on the ice for about 1/2 hour.

My job was to give them the safety lecture about flying in a helicopter and then to help them put on special boots with spikes that grip onto the ice.

Because of the weight restrictions and the danger of objects bouncing around in the aircraft, the rule is that you can bring anything in your pockets but...No bags, boxes, purses, backpacks, handbags, sacks, suitcases, duffels, or any other kind of container!

And invariably, after the safety lecture...at LEAST once a week...some lady would hold up her purse and say "But it's OK for me to bring this, right?"

But the weirdest question I got went something like this:

ME: Well, you've heard the safety lecture and have your boots, feel free to relax until the helicopters are ready to leave..

TOURIST: But aren't you going to give us life vests (i.e. emergency floatation device)?

ME: You are going to fly in a helicopter over a forest and then walk on a glacier. Why would you need a life vest??

TOURIST: In case I fall off !

Turns out, SHE thought that a GLACIER and an ICEBERG were the same thing and that she was going to be walking around on a big piece of ice floating around in the ocean - where she might fall off.

After I understood her "logic", the question kind of made sense !! LOL

Amy
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #123

Quote:
My job was to give them the safety lecture about flying in a helicopter and then to help them put on special boots with spikes that grip onto the ice.
Ahh yes the safety lecture. I've given that may time. To the group and every person who has ever bought a ticket for a tour.

"Be sure you bring a hat, jacket, sunscreen and camera. Wear shoes suitable for outdoors and trail walking, sneakers, boots, etc. No floo floo shoes." Someone always wears flip flops, flats or other non suitable footware. Then they get angry when I tell them they have to stay on the trail instead of following the rest of us over the rocks.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #124
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertranger View Post
Then they get angry when I tell them they have to stay on the trail instead of following the rest of us over the rocks.
We walked the trail up the mountain from the visitor center at the top of Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP this spring. The trail is pretty much straight up the mountain for 1,500 feet or so then through a pass to a hidden lake. Everything was under about a foot of hard packed, slightly melting snow. We were wearing hiking boots with slip-on crampons. There was a park ranger at the trailhead checking footwear. We couldn't believe the number of people who were planning on doing the hike wearing open toed sandals or flip flops. And they got angry when the ranger turned them back.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #125
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In Honduras last year I was geared up for a night scuba dive. I'm walking down the beach wearing a heavy wetsuit, scuba gear, hoses everywhere, 3 flashlights and a strobe, mask on my head and honkin' big fins under my arm. A cocktail toting couple walking the beach asks me "Oh, are you going for a night dive?" Quick as a flash I reply "No, I put this sh*t on every evening and walk about in it". I don't think they got it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
For the same reason you have to click on "start" to shut it off.
So many good ones! This is priceless!