Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sub Freezing Weather in Charleston, SC

If you have a RV you need to take precautions for freezing water lines! If you don't, you could be looking at large repair bill, and you won't know till you go and use your RV.

The easiest way for me is to blow the lines out using compressed air. I have a small pancake compressor that I set the pressure to 40 PSI. I hook it up to the city water connection using a Hanson Quick Connect fitting. Then I go to each water valve and open it and let it blow it I only get the sound of air!

The other way is to bypass the hot water heater and place the suction hose in RV Antifreeze (Pink Stuff) and cut the water pump on. Then go to each valve and let them flow till you get the pink stuff!

Good Luck to everyone!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

I have been blowing the lines out every year for the last ten and have not had any problems. I don't want to fool with putting the pink stuff in the lines......
Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I winterize mid Nov. That's when we can expect sub freezing temps. We blow out the line and put the pink stuff in the traps, and cycle it through the washing machine.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
WReeder,

How often do you get those temps,and how long do they last,on a average.
We like the area,but when the time comes,we don't ever want to see snow again.We are trying to find that perfect area,no snow,not too oppressively hot in summer like southern florida.What's your thoughts? Thanx.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
WReeder,

We like the area,but when the time comes,we don't ever want to see snow again.We are trying to find that perfect area,no snow,not too oppressively hot in summer like southern florida.What's your thoughts? Thanx.
A couple of times a season, this week was the first. We are traveling this weekend and I might have to do it again Sunday! I put the pink stuff in the drains only if its going to get below 29f. We travel once a month somewhere, my son is a swimmer and we are always going somewhere!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
WReeder,

We worked in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston area a couple summers ago. The humidity and heat in the summer was very oppressive. Isn't much better in central NC. The mountain areas are nice, but otherwise, I don't know where you are going to find in the south that isn't hot and humid in the summer.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
WReeder,

Snow shows up every couple of years, maybe. Last year we got a couple of inches once and a dusting another. The last time we got a major snow dump was probably in the seventies. I live in central SC and play golf most of the year. Walk most of the time, but during the summer tend to ride now. Does get humid and hot but hey they make AC now.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My winterization consists of putting a heater in the rig with a thermostat. But if it does stay below freezing for a day and over night I'll start the AquaHot. The lowest I can set the thermostat is 45° plus that turns on the wet bay/tank heater too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wrong to explain blowing out or anti freezing water lines without mentioning emptying or anti freezing the P traps in the drain lines
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #10

Winterizing is great thing to do.

Most have to do it back in OCT/NOV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Wrong to explain blowing out or anti freezing water lines without mentioning emptying or anti freezing the P traps in the drain lines
Here in Charleston, it would never get that cold where one would need to drain the tanks, every once and awhile you might need to put the pink stuff in a drain(P-Trap), but only if its getting down to the low twenty's for a couple of days.
I have been camping for over 25 years and never had but one issue. Did not drain the shower hose and it froze and broke.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Snow shows up every couple of years, maybe. Last year we got a couple of inches once and a dusting another. The last time we got a major snow dump was probably in the seventies. I live in central SC and play golf most of the year. Walk most of the time, but during the summer tend to ride now. Does get humid and hot but hey they make AC now.
thanks for the input everyone.

The best thing that I love about hot and humid is that I DO NOT HAVE TO SHOVEL IT!!!!!!.(or snow blow or plow it).The older I get the better It sounds.
My DW has always loved the beach,I always hated it,the last few years I have somehow developed a love for the sun and beach that I can't explain, except for fact that it does not include snow,work,and cold weather. I can say that having the rv has brought going to the beach to a level that I never could have imagined. We are hoping that very soon, we will move south to a centralized area that within a couple,three,maybe four hours we can be at the beach. It's getting so close that we have started cleaning out the basement,garages,etc in anxious anticipation. Both of us are stoked,like kids again,ready to go to the beach.OH and icing on the cake, the taxes down there are sooooo much better than here. So looking thru my progressive lenses, it looks like a win-win. Just have to finish our (homework) so we can hit the road.....

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 03-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
WReeder,

There is no such place. Pick your poison or keep moving. ;-)

While you are at it include floods, hurricanes and tornadoes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
There is no such place. Pick your poison or keep moving. ;-)

While you are at it include floods, hurricanes and tornadoes.
Yeah, I know, We love maine,only in summer, absolutely love PEI, positively only in the summer. We also love florida,only in winter, and the list goes on and on. Your right everywhere has something,for me it's an age thing,don't want any more stress or snow.....the nice thing is,we can keep moving around (with the rv) till we find THE right spot.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K