Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Suggested Posting Etiquite

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

When responding to another persons post, PLEASE refrain from negative or questionable comments or remarks. In a recent post, "25 MPG Hemi", there were several comments that were negative, and not necessary. Now, I am a big boy and not that "sensitive" about my gas mileage as one poster put it; but, if ALL will go back and reread the Mission Statement for these forums........we are supposed to be HELPFUL and SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES, so that others may benefit. In the case of my "hemi" post, I simply stated what works for me, and the variables. If you choose to accept it or "kick it to the curb" is up to you. But, negativity posted because you disagree CAN have a real impact on NEW MEMBERS, OR VISITORS to IRV2 Forums. The #1 reason for me frequenting this forum is that MOST of its members exhibit common courtesy and manners that we all expect.

One person may disagree wholeheartedly with someone's post; but there is a right way and a wrong way to disagree. Now, before we go any further, I am not the forum police, nor do I think my opinion is the only one. In disagreeing with someone, don't just "throw" a general statement out there, but what is more profitable for the forums is to maybe say something like, "I disagree with your post, but this is why; or my experience did not turn out the way yours did." Or something to that effect, don't simply post something that insinuates a poster is uniformed, or ignorant of his own experiences.

In closing, if I have OFFENDED anyone with THIS post; that is not my intent. My intent is the betterment of "OUR" forums and better first impressions to our newcomers and visitors.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Very well put.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
scgator,
I could not have said it better. Thank you!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I've been on the receiving end of that also. I would hope that some of the members that post remarks like that would read and heed. But then that's probably asking too much
Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Tempest in a teacup - pay them no attention and blow them off. You said it well, but there are other opinions on most every issue and a difference makes a better discussion. - all within courtesy limits of course.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Well put SCGATOR
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll join the 'WELL SAID' group. Sometimes we just need to be reminded. Remember the movie 'Road House'? Like the 'cooler' said, 'BE NICE' do what you need to do but, . . 'BE NICE'. Sounds like good advice to me.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers

Completely agree with you view point.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
100% correct, good post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post

When responding to another persons post, PLEASE refrain from negative or questionable comments or remarks. In a recent post, "25 MPG Hemi", there were several comments that were negative, and not necessary. Now, I am a big boy and not that "sensitive" about my gas mileage as one poster put it; but, if ALL will go back and reread the Mission Statement for these forums........we are supposed to be HELPFUL and SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES, so that others may benefit. In the case of my "hemi" post, I simply stated what works for me, and the variables. If you choose to accept it or "kick it to the curb" is up to you. But, negativity posted because you disagree CAN have a real impact on NEW MEMBERS, OR VISITORS to IRV2 Forums. The #1 reason for me frequenting this forum is that MOST of its members exhibit common courtesy and manners that we all expect.

One person may disagree wholeheartedly with someone's post; but there is a right way and a wrong way to disagree. Now, before we go any further, I am not the forum police, nor do I think my opinion is the only one. In disagreeing with someone, don't just "throw" a general statement out there, but what is more profitable for the forums is to maybe say something like, "I disagree with your post, but this is why; or my experience did not turn out the way yours did." Or something to that effect, don't simply post something that insinuates a poster is uniformed, or ignorant of his own experiences.

In closing, if I have OFFENDED anyone with THIS post; that is not my intent. My intent is the betterment of "OUR" forums and better first impressions to our newcomers and visitors.

I concur with the content of your message and clearly you are well intentioned. One bit of constructive advice, as long as you are describing posting etiquette, concerns your use of all capital letters on some words. My understanding, and I think it is viewed as the general consensus amount Internet users, is that capitalizing words is viewed as the equivalent of "shouting." So, maybe dial back on the caps, unless you are trying to emote some level of anger in your post.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I totally agree with you. The first time I ever posted a thread, I got a response that almost kept me from ever visiting this site again. Just a quick remark that made me feel I was some kind of low class hick because I couldn't afford a new motorhome. Luckily I got so many helpful responses that I hung in there. I'd like to think I've even helped a few others since. Think before you type
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree about the posting etiquette info shared here. Hopefully others will take note and they'll take a break before posting any zingers, even if that wasn't the intent.

Regarding the use of CAPITAL letters, well an entire post using them would be considered shouting. However properly used they can also mean that a poster is emphasizing a word or statement. For more details please see http://www.hoax-slayer.com/do-not-use-all-capitals.html

Hope everyone has a great week!!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
I concur with the content of your message and clearly you are well intentioned. One bit of constructive advice, as long as you are describing posting etiquette, concerns your use of all capital letters on some words. My understanding, and I think it is viewed as the general consensus amount Internet users, is that capitalizing words is viewed as the equivalent of "shouting." So, maybe dial back on the caps, unless you are trying to emote some level of anger in your post.
For a post with ALL capital letters you are correct but you may want to check this opinion about the OP's post.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote