Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Steve my friend, you surprise me. Eating raw fish - wow.

I love it! We have a place about 10 miles up the road called Masa Sushi and I'm always getting the DW to stop there when I can.

Now I must say that besides Sushi I love Sashimi. You do know the difference, right.

We spent 3 years in Japan. Now I'd like to tell you a story.

First night out looking for a place to eat, so to set the scenario. Every Japanese restaurant has a mock-up display of the dishes they serve. They are real life replica presentations, in plastic, of what the food plate looks like. We both settled on Tempura Teishoku. It is a Japanese battered shrimp, battered vegetables and sushi. We ordered. Shortly out came the dishes. Sitting in the middle of the dish was a carrot slice that was scalloped around the edges, and in the middle was this "green" substance about the size of a fingernail, but not a fingernail trust me. The following sort conversation between me and DW ensued.

Me: (pointing to carrot with green substance), "What is this?"
DW: "How would I know dummy, i've been in this country as long as you have."
(Not one of my favorite conversations.)
Me: "Well, it must be edible since it's on the plate."

Using my adept chopsticks I picked up the whole carrot slice, green stuff and all, and popped it into my mouth.

Little did I know what "Wasabi" is. Especially "True Wasabi" For those who don't know, It is pure unadulterated Japanese Horseradish. Although not a capsaicin I can tell you this; I didn't have sinus problems for over a month.

The only thing available to stop the sensation was beer, and I had to rather quickly. My wife was laughing and she was telling the Japanese server in sign language what I had done, and the server is standing there wide eyed with her hand over her mouth in one of those "Oh my gosh, you didn't"

Yes I did!

Come on down Steve, we'll have a Wasabi eating contest - and ginger root.

Oishi desu!
おいしいですね。
Good story Wayne. Like so many things in life, Wasabi & pickled ginger are wonderful in small doses but not so much all at once. At one time I was glutinous in my sushi consumption but I have succumbed to the same type 2 diabetes than has plagued my father's family. I now eat more sashimi and less sushi. I have a weakness for Caterpillar rolls, rainbow rolls and anything tuna or salmon although I usually get my fill of those with sashimi. I'm thinking about Toro sashimi right now.

We had a waiter once who was very excited that they had gotten some giant sea urchin in and it was a delicacy. We ordered it with great anticipation. It was like Elephant snot on sushi rice. Never again.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ha ha! Being a SCUBA Dive Master, I have had the occasion to break open a few sea urchins, so whenever the opportunity came up to taste any form of it, I did say, "NO." Your description made me chuckle. I can just imagine now what elephant snot looks like. Ha ha!

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

A number of years ago a few of us work-mates went out to a Sushi place (Yamashiro) on Lincoln Highway in Malvern, PA. One of the guys was a young know-it-all that had never had Sushi before.
I got a little annoyed at him after listening to him harp about what he thought was wrong with the company and when the Sushi came I told him he really ought to cleanse his palate by starting with the lump of Guacamole.

Before I could stop him he put the entire bit into his mouth and started chewing. I had to hand it to him though; he ate the whole thing, broke out in a sweat but never said a thing.

The up-side to this was we didn't have to listen to him for the rest of the night and "Beware the Guacamole" became our favorite subtle warning.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #18

The best I ever had...

...was at Ocean Fish Japanese Cuisine, in Pacifica, CA, right down from San Francisco RV Park. OMG, it was the first time I had ever had "warm" sushi, and trust me, it's to die for!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve - I'm with you on the Uni - even when the guy looks like this -

Name:   image-3253708254.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.1 KB
With his best trust me, you'll like it - have I ever steered you wrong. Truth is I did not like it and now my answer is - yes you have - twice now. I did not like Uni or monk fish liver. Monk fish liver is just too strong for me.

Last year we had a small gathering for the Super Bowl. Among other things, I had one of my favorite places make up a to go order for me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1918207993.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	33000
It didn't last long.

Taking another route this year but that's a story for another thread. Super Bowl Spreads - Food Not Points.
Have a great game day!
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1
Steve - I'm with you on the Uni - even when the guy looks like this -

With his best trust me, you'll like it - have I ever steered you wrong. Truth is I did not like it and now my answer is - yes you have - twice now. I did not like Uni or monk fish liver. Monk fish liver is just too strong for me.

Last year we had a small gathering for the Super Bowl. Among other things, I had one of my favorite places make up a to go order for me.

It didn't last long.

Taking another route this year but that's a story for another thread. Super Bowl Spreads - Food Not Points.
Have a great game day!
That is a gorgeous array of sushi! I just heard my stomach rumble. What friends? I could polish off the plate with a couple of Bottles of Asahi.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
A number of years ago a few of us work-mates went out to a Sushi place (Yamashiro) on Lincoln Highway in Malvern, PA. One of the guys was a young know-it-all that had never had Sushi before.
I got a little annoyed at him after listening to him harp about what he thought was wrong with the company and when the Sushi came I told him he really ought to cleanse his palate by starting with the lump of Guacamole.

Before I could stop him he put the entire bit into his mouth and started chewing. I had to hand it to him though; he ate the whole thing, broke out in a sweat but never said a thing.

The up-side to this was we didn't have to listen to him for the rest of the night and "Beware the Guacamole" became our favorite subtle warning.
One of our sushi lovin' friends does this on purpose, every time she puts a roll in her mouth, she covers it with wasabi, and dips it in her soy sauce, also loaded with wasabi. Then you she snorts and waves her hand in front of her face, little beads of persperation appear on her forhead, and she dives in for another. Quite comical to watch, as she washes it down with hot saki.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr

One of our sushi lovin' friends does this on purpose, every time she puts a roll in her mouth, she covers it with wasabi, and dips it in her soy sauce, also loaded with wasabi. Then you she snorts and waves her hand in front of her face, little beads of persperation appear on her forhead, and she dives in for another. Quite comical to watch, as she washes it down with hot saki.
Wow. I use very little of either. I do make the wasabi - soy mix - but don't go to it often. It is a nice kick and flavor - but it overpowers the nori - the fish and anything else that the chef intended me to taste. One last pic for now - horse mackerel sashimi

Name:	image-3163129921.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	33021

It is great but not always available.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
I told him he really ought to cleanse his palate by starting with the lump of Guacamole.

Is it fair to assume that by "guacamole" you mean "wasabi"?

I like sushi, and make it fairly often. There are few simpler foods to put together!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

Is it fair to assume that by "guacamole" you mean "wasabi"?

I like sushi, and make it fairly often. There are few simpler foods to put together!
Ok - you drew me out one more time - yellowtai belly on my cutting board.

Name:	image-1243527090.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	33022

Slice, slice, add some fresh jalapeņo slices - a dab of Saracha and a drizzle of Ponsu sauce. Heaven.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ok - you drew me out one more time - yellowtai belly on my cutting board.
Attachment 33022

Slice, slice, add some fresh jalapeņo slices - a dab of Saracha and a drizzle of Ponsu sauce. Heaven.

O.K....Sushi smackdown time!

What type/brand of rice do you use, how do you cook/handle it, and what seasonings do you add to make it "sushi rice"?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every Friday my wife and I have date night that starts by having dinner at a Sushi Place in, Burbank, Ca. This last Friday another couple said they wanted to go with us because they had heard that the place was good and would like to try Sushi.
Now mind you, these folks are strickly Meat and Potatoe people, so we were shocked that they wanted to go.
And thats when the fun started. We all decided on a Spicy Tuna Ball encrusted with Avocado. Needless to say, they quickly gave up the chopsticks after flinging bits of spicy tuna around our table and opted for some real hardware..They would take a bit of the tuna, about a 1/4 inch piece and start proding and poking as though they were dissecting a fly. They faired no better with the very safe California roll. That too was poked and prodded and pushed around the plate until it wound up into tiny tiny bits that just about disappeared on the plate.
It was fun to watch but we felt a bit embarrassed by all the antics. By the time the show was over, we were full and I am sure our friends stopped at In and Out Burger on the way home !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #27

Having had bad sushi fish, I only eat Cali Rolls and Kappa Maki now. They are still a treat, and wasabi is still the best Dristan out there.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

O.K....Sushi smackdown time!

What type/brand of rice do you use, how do you cook/handle it, and what seasonings do you add to make it "sushi rice"?

Smackdown - schmack down. I drive less than 2 miles to this lovely Asian Market.

Name:	image-1296377131.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	33023
Grab a some mirin - "sushi rice wine vinegar" a bag of "sushi rice" - short rice whatever brand is there and grabs my attention - always have some sugar at home. The trick is rinse time and hang time once done. Sushi Chef I learned from puts cooked rice in a mesh hang bag in walk in over night. I mimic that as best I can. The next day the cooled and cooked rice goes into the rice cooker to warm. According to Masa - as he learned in Japan - you spend several years just learning to make rice - tradition has it. I also cheat and just go to the bar and have em give me some to go. Lazy.

Thing is I like rolls and sushi but prefer sashimi especially at home. I do make hand rolls because I like them better and getting the quantities of rice, fish etc is a little easier to manage. Man - we can go on and on with this one.

Name:   image-4014999812.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  67.3 KB

Don't remember the name of the place Bonita and I had sushi at down the road from you in Port Townsend, but it was very good!
Take care Francesca.