Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Close your eyes;

sniff;

smell the fish?
I know you did it!

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great sushi at 7500 feet in the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado - Nello's Bistro, Pagosa Springs. Flown in fresh from Honolulu weekly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sushi.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	33033  

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2003 in Japan. Until you have had sushi/sashimi in Japan, you haven't had sushy/sashimi. This setting was only a small portion that our host purchased for us. It was an amazing meail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00194.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	33034  
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

O.K....Sushi smackdown time!

What type/brand of rice do you use, how do you cook/handle it, and what seasonings do you add to make it "sushi rice"?

especially for you: (you cannot substitute any other kind of rice for sushi rice -not even sitkcy rice, I've tried!)
Here is a recipe for making sushi rice. Japanese rice is short grain rice and gets slightly sticky when it is cooked. Long grain rice isn't proper for sushi because it is drier and doesn't stick together.
Ingredients:

3 cups Japanese rice
3 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Preparation:

Put the rice in a large bowl and wash it with cold water. Repeat washing until the water becomes almost clear. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside for 30 minutes. Place the rice in rice cooker and add water. Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 minutes. Start the cooker. When rice is cooked, let it steam for about 15 minutes.
Prepare sushi vinegar (sushi-zu) by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture.

Spread the hot steamed rice into a large plate or a large bowl. Please use a non-metallic bowl to prevent any interaction with rice vinegar. It's best to use a wooden bowl called sushi-oke. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold the rice by shamoji (rice spatula) quickly. Be careful not to smash the rice. To cool and remove the moisture of the rice well, use a fan as you mix sushi rice. This will give sushi rice a shiny look. It's best to use sushi rice right away.

Makes 4-6 servings.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
2003 in Japan. Until you have had sushi/sashimi in Japan, you haven't had sushy/sashimi. This setting was only a small portion that our host purchased for us. It was an amazing meail.
In Japan, the lobster comes to the table still waving at you!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #34

Sushi Smorg in Las Vegas is second to none for US sushi:
MAKINO - google it for locations

It's the size of a Walgreens, full of different Japanese foods, sushi rolls I've never seen before. You need to be real hungry though.

Ironically many of our favourite sushi places have Korean chefs (as we find out when we speak Japanese to them)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
especially for you: (you cannot substitute any other kind of rice for sushi rice -not even sitkcy rice, I've tried!)
Here is a recipe for making sushi rice. Japanese rice is short grain rice and gets slightly sticky when it is cooked. Long grain rice isn't proper for sushi because it is drier and doesn't stick together.
Ingredients:

3 cups Japanese rice
3 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Preparation:

Put the rice in a large bowl and wash it with cold water. Repeat washing until the water becomes almost clear. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside for 30 minutes. Place the rice in rice cooker and add water. Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 minutes. Start the cooker. When rice is cooked, let it steam for about 15 minutes.
Prepare sushi vinegar (sushi-zu) by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture.

Spread the hot steamed rice into a large plate or a large bowl. Please use a non-metallic bowl to prevent any interaction with rice vinegar. It's best to use a wooden bowl called sushi-oke. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold the rice by shamoji (rice spatula) quickly. Be careful not to smash the rice. To cool and remove the moisture of the rice well, use a fan as you mix sushi rice. This will give sushi rice a shiny look. It's best to use sushi rice right away.

Makes 4-6 servings.
That's pretty much how I was taught! We had some Japanese students with us for awhile...one hard-and-fast rule they had was that cooked rice should NEVER be refrigerated- best "held" on the "warm" setting in the rice cooker, even overnight if necessary. As if there's ever any left over!

Per rice type:
I know this is heretical, but after much experimenting we've settled on Korean grown short grain brown sweet rice, not just for sushi but as our "house" type. It performs just as well for "sticky" purposes and to us at least its flavor is superior to anything else we've tried. And given the choices at Tacoma's Asian supermarkets, I think we've tried them all!

Francesca
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #36

When it comes to food poisoning most of us know the dangers of undercooked chicken or seafood left out of the fridge for too long, but rice can also leave you with more than a full belly.

You can get food poisoning from rice if you don't store it in the fridge after cooking.

What makes you sick is Bacillus cereus, says CSIRO food microbiologist Cathy Moir. These bacteria produce toxins that will give you a mild vomiting illness shortly after you eat the contaminated food (sometimes it only takes 30 minutes to get sick).

Bacillus cereus is commonly found in the soil and sometimes in plant foods that are grown close to the ground – such legumes, cereals, spices etc...

If foods are cooked and handled correctly Bacillus cereus isn't a problem, but in dry conditions – such as those found in a rice packet or spice container – Bacillus cereus remains present as spores. The spores remain dormant until you add water, then presto they germinate and grow.

Unfortunately the cooking process doesn't kill the heat-resistant spores or the toxin produced so once the rice is cooked the bacteria grow and thrive in moist, warm environments.

So if you're not going to eat rice straight after you've cooked it, then you need to store it in the fridge – as soon as possible, but definitely within four hours. Refrigeration won't kill the bacteria but it will slow down its growth – any uneaten rice should be thrown out after three days in the fridge.

"Restaurants would cook steamed rice one day, then leave the rice out overnight to cook as fried rice the next day – so it had been sitting around for a day and the Bacillus spores had germinated, grown and produced the toxins.

"When the fried rice was cooked the toxin wasn't destroyed, then the customer consumed the rice and was sick. So there were plenty of outbreaks," Moir says.

"With the health authorities identifying the cause and educating the restaurateurs, the incidence of this type of food poisoning quickly decreased."

Will cooked rice give you food poisoning if it's not stored in the fridge? - Health & Wellbeing

More good information:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1101338AAgMrEF
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
In case CCRV'r is talkin' about an earlier post of mine:

I certainly didn't recommend storing rice at room temperature. I hope no one missed that part of my post wherein I said that rather than refrigerate, rice should be kept in the rice cooker on its "keep hot" function. That's what my Asian friends do, and moreover it's allowable in restaurants under Public Health laws.

As a former Health inspector, there's little that I don't know about food safety. Keeping food hot is just as effective as refrigeration when it comes to preventing the growth of bad bacteria, which like most living things can only grow in a certain temperature range.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #38

All good information about cooked rice
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like we have a dozen or so in the + sushi / sashimi column and some great ideas on where to fins it. Hmmm - maybe I will work Sushi seeking into all my travel plans.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #40

Francesca,
Of course I meant the Wasabi.........It also worked for a few others once I found the neophytes didn't know the difference. Until they had it in their mouth.
Wasabi will clear the table Rickety Sprit (and your sinuses).

In fact, I'm gonna do that again Saturday at the Marine Corps League to another guy (Jarhead) that's ticked me off. He put me in a position that would cause embarrassment if I didn't eat Mackarel, which I gagged on ........ and I haven't forgotten.
On Saturday he'll eat a large lump od Wasabi (Guacamole) followed by fish, rice, pickled squid and warm Ichi Ban, Sopporo or Asahi with Saki as a chaser. If that doesn't do it I'll get him some Octopus or Urchin.

He's gonna learn the meaning of "It's flied lice, you plick".

But it won't be all bad. The Mama-San that runs the place is almost 60, a very short, fat fun loving, sometimes crude, lady. She'll do anything for me so I plan to have her sit on Mike's lap and make kissy-face-huggy-body with him and make fun of his manhood (I'll try to get pictures - if he doesn't kill me first).

It must be the Squid in me that causes me to exact revenge on my lesser bretheren having little understanding and/or proper respect for natural superiority.

It's all in good fun and instills congenial life into the perpetual rivalry between the Navy, Marines, Army and Air Force Weenies. We laugh at each other lot, like Brothers do. The more outrageous the prank, the bigger the laugh (and the free beers won on a bet work pretty well too).

But, then I'm the guy that subscribed my disliked neighbor to those really terrible skin magazines wrapped in plain paper. And had 10 yards of pea gravel delivered to his driveway when he went on vacation. They moved about 6 months later after they came home from another family trip to find their house had been aluminum sided. And all this was before I retired.

The guys at the MCL wouldn't let me buy a beer for 2 weeks.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #41

One of the most valuable lesson's I've learned in life:
Nobody can make you do or feel anything without your permission!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Francesca,
Of course I meant the Wasabi.........It also worked for a few others once I found the neophytes didn't know the difference. Until they had it in their mouth.
Wasabi will clear the table Rickety Sprit (and your sinuses).
With apologies for a minor jog off-topic:

Kimchi straight from the crock is my preferred sinus-clearer...

Kimchi also works as a room clearer, as any nonuser that's ever gotten within smelling range will attest!