Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #1

Tag Axle?

If I am looking for a nice rig, why would I want one with a Tag Axle?
Seems to me like if I don't have ceramic tile floors or a pool, I assume the issue is weight?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, to carry the weight and handling of the Coach. You will loose basement storage with a tag vs a single axle Coach. Then you will have extra tires and extra maintance with the tag also. The driving confort is a lot better with a tag axle Coach!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tag axles are used for longer rigs when the length and weight will exceed the weight limit of the chassis and tires. If you're looking at used gassers, you will notice anything at about 34ft or less will be single rear axle, anything over that will have a tag. Diesels frames will be different of course and specifics are beyond me, but the same principal applies. A 37ft tag will be more stable in driving and handling that a 34ft single.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #4

We have owned both a 40 ft. With single axle and a 43 ft. With tag. No comparison with stability. The 40 ft. DP spent a lot of time porpoising on the rough interstates and was unstable with trucks passing. True, there are two more tires, but the loading of the six rear tires is less and they just last longer than the four on the single axle model. Not sure if the tag is necessary with a model under 40 ft but that could be argued. Bottom line is that anything over 40 ft needs the tag to control axle loading limits. Now, the other side of the coin is that my front axle on the tag axle DP is always near max loading.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Seems to me like if I don't have ceramic tile floors or a pool, I assume the issue is weight?
homeless,

Here is a list a friend of mine put together when he was asking the same questions and I saved it. Hope it helps fill in some of the blanks.

Steve

TAG AXLES: PROS AND CONS

PROS
· Increase in carrying capacity.

· Decreases distance from rear most axle center to the further rear most portion of the vehicle. Important because this decreased distance increases the departure angle of the rear overhang of the coach body and frame, making the rear of the coach frame less liable to contact the roadway on uneven ramps or sloped surfaces.

· The tag is also equipped with another set of brake drums.

· Tag is equipped with an additional set of shock absorbers, spreading the load across a wider section of the chassis.

· Eliminates premature “U” joint failure or shaft seal damage caused by excessive drive line angle.

· Your rear tires will last longer than that of a single rear axle coach because there is less weight per tire.

· All of the above results in a more stable driving experience. Eliminates the “tail wagging the dog” effect. Tracks down the road much better.

CONS
· Tags only come in vehicles +/- 40’ or larger.

· There is an additional initial cost associated with a tag and you do add 2 extra tires when it’s time to replace them.

· Extra wheel wells use up part of the space for additional storage bays.
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow that is 35 feet and has a tag axel. It is very stable and big trucks when they pass do not effect me at all. Newer models usually don't have a tag axel untill over 40 feet. One reason I bought an older unit was I wanted a tag axel but I'm not going to spend the kind of money it takes to a 45 footer. Mine is paid for.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
YC1

Our rv is 41.5 ft long but was sold as a 40 footer. Go figure. It is single axel. It did not handle great at first but a few mods and it does very well now. I like the storage space. And we do have ceramic tile. So much over 40 feet go with a tag for the best handling.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Up until last year the Federal law prohibited any single axle over 20,000#'s in MH's. So, on the 40'+ rigs they needed the extra capacity a tag added. The law now lets them go to 24,000#'s on a single rear axle as I remember although it could be 23,000#'s too.
Our DSDP has a rear axle rated for 19,000#'s and we're not loaded for full timing but we're still getting close to that even with only 50 gallons of fresh water. Spartan says the axle is actually a 20,000# unit and there was no reason for Newmar to derate it other than CYA.
Ours is also called a 40' foot but actually measures 41'-11"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #9

In our case, we get bigger fuel,gray,black tanks with a tag. Also a bigger generator, more air conditioners, king bed we can walk around, four slides. Since we are longer we lost no basement storage. It comes down to opinions and preferences.......I like the look.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tag no Tag

My last RV was a 40ft Monaco single axle. My new RV is a 42 ft Entegra w tag axle. There is no comparison in stability. The tag is much more stable. Forget the comments about losing a compartment. When I bought my tag RV most of the dealers said the increased weights of the DEF exhaust systems had exceeded most single axle systems around 40 ft and more axles were required to allow the owner at least some useful cargo load capacity.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
losing space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
My last RV was a 40ft Monaco single axle. My new RV is a 42 ft Entegra w tag axle. There is no comparison in stability. The tag is much more stable. Forget the comments about losing a compartment. When I bought my tag RV most of the dealers said the increased weights of the DEF exhaust systems had exceeded most single axle systems around 40 ft and more axles were required to allow the owner at least some useful cargo load capacity.
Hi Dave, how do you forget comments about losing storage space? You state that the tag gives the owner more load capacity. Your new Coach is 2' longer than your old one and the tag on the side of the Coach takes up app. 3' of side space, yes tha tag gives you more capicity but not storage space........
If one full times, storage space is gold.....
I am just asking a question here ....
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't believe you loose that much storage with the tag. Consider the location of the extra axle. Sure the most forward axle is moved up slightly to balance the load. But my tag is right beside the engine. Not much storage put in around that part of a DP of any size.

Comfort of ride, stability in winds, & the safety net of extra load, no brainer for me. And yes, we are full time. But I bought a 28 ft car hauler for DWs shoes. Now she can take them all with her, not just a few more that extra storage might give her without the tag.

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #13

I agree with Dave on this, I know with American Coach's a 40 single axle there is a electrical compartment that's two feet wide just for the cord. On the 42ft tag this is converted to a reel which takes advantage of lost space. 40ft equals one passthru and 42ft is two passthru's. We have had three 40ft and one 42ft, I see very little difference in basement storage. I see more storage upstairs in the living area though. This is just my opinion in four AC brand. Other brands I don't know about.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I had a 37 foot single axle and just moved up to a 45 foot tag. I fought my wife most of the way saying things like, "we don't NEED it...it's too long to drive comfortably...it's too much money...etc., etc.,"

I am happy to report that I was wrong and she was correct!

The difference is driving - night and day with the TAG being 1,000% better!

The stability - night and day with the TAG being sooooo stable.

You can come up with hundreds of reasons NOT to get a tag, I know as I did; but it really is a HUGE upgrade and I'm sooooo happy to have done it.

My ONLY regret, every time I comment about how nice it is to drive/ride I have to listen to, "I TOLD YOU SO!"