Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

Tainted Taco Bell and imported orange juice

Just wondered how many are still enjoying their Taco Bell meals and orange juice for breakfast after the FDA has taken no action at all? One of the TV stations did some research and found out Taco Bell has had 3 separate cases of salmanella poisonings since 2008 and the public was never notified cause the CDC stated there was no reason after the danger ended. Maybe not now, but how many more will they have in the future and will you get caught in one.

Now we're getting pesticide tainted orange juice from Brazil and the FDA says the amount of pesticide is so small there's no reason to recall all that's on the store shelves. It just isn't worth the cost to the market.

I'm certainly crossing both these items off my menu.

Wagonmaster2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well when I consider the number of people who eat at the Mexican Phone company (old joke, Taco Bell is NOT the Mexican phone company) you said 3 cases of Salmonella in what 3-4 years (one case per year tops (since 2008) is... Nothing, I mean it's less than nothing. Way below the worry level.. now 3 cases since last week, that would be another matter, but one per year.. Odds are it was NOT the store, but just folks who got infected elsewhere. (Reason.. If it had been the store it would have been closer to 300).

As for the orange juice..... Now days you get pesticide in the water you drink, and dang near every food you eat.. It truly is the amount.

And may I ask,,, When was the last time you had an "Adult Beverage"? compared to the amount of poison in a standard "Adult Beverage" what is in that glass of OJ, is once again, not worth mentioning. 10 times what's in the OJ would not be worth mentioning.

There really are levels of most poisons that are not worth mentioning, Even arsenic (As an example)

Years ago there was a person who was suffering from a terminal disease.. One of his or her heirs decided to hasten the old person's demise by adding just a small amount of Arsenic to the diet every day, Figuring it would kill 'em faster.

Well.. They recovered.. First time that had happened to someone suffering from that medical condition so the doctors.. Quite naturally,, Did a ton of tests to find out why.. Found the Arsenic when they did blood tests.... The non-heir (You can't benefit from attempted murder) was convicted for trying to hasten the demise (Attempt homicide) and the doctors had a new cure for an old disease (After testing of course)

Sometimes, a bit of poison is a good thing.. In the adult beverage area, A single glass of wine with dinner... Helps to prevent heart attack.. (I'm not sure what the limit is, but I suspect I could have one with each meal... Alas.. I've yet to find a wine (or Whine) I liked.. (Same for other adult beverages) which is why I'm a tea totaller, well coffeeholic.

I have to take a baby asprin to protect my heart..

And oh, by the way, when was the last time you had a bowl of Chili (or any "Spicy" food flavored with Chili pepper or cilil peppers? The active ingredent in those peppers, that which gives it it's "Bite" is a neurotoxin.

So, to answer your question: NO, I don't get to enjoy Taco Bell much any more.. Wife won't let me go there because SHE can not eat those peppers, or so she says.

In lesser amonuts, she often gets a bit of Chili, But then I'm the one who knows what is in everyday foods, not she.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As we say in the safety and health business - the dose makes the poison. I am working on a very large environmental clean up project. One of the components in the clean-up is a trace amount of arsenic. I don't worry about it. I have run the numbers and to receive an occupational body load I would have to eat a pound and a half of the mixture per day. Like we say, dose makes the poison.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Having worked in the OJ business much of my life, I am afraid to tell you that Brazil has about 60% of the US OJ market. The level of fungicide was extremely low and determined not to be a health risk. This is a case of sensationalism to sell papers. When our society got off the farm and started modern agriculture methods, the likelihood of food borne illness increased. Just the way it is. Food products are worldwide market. We employ many folks farming wheat and selling it overseas. We also import food products from overseas. If it is cheaper to produce overseas the customers demand the saving.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Taco Bell Rated the Best of Fast Food Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just wondered how many are still enjoying their Taco Bell meals and orange juice for breakfast...
Maybe, lots. After all, Taco Bell had the fewest food poisoning incidents among fast-food favorites (I never eat there, anyway).

I was surprised too. The link is HERE.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see both sides of it Lindsay. Both newspapers and other news sources blowing it way out of proportion Trying to create a "Tempest in a teapot" (Which by the way **IS** possible to do) and "Cover ups" by industry trying to play down a real story.

But the bottom line is you need to do a bunch of research and when it's done.. Then you stand a chance of knowing what you talk about.

In this case... I've done the research. And if you read my earlier post you will see that I do not see anything to be alarmed about save yellow journalism. I do find that alarming.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
........Taco Bell has had 3 separate cases of salmanella poisonings since 2008
Three customers maybe infected in four years??

Taco Bell serves more than 2 billion consumers each year in more than 5,800 restaurants in the U.S*

Or 1 case in every 2.66 billion customers??

Man I'm really worried about that

PHESPE

* Taco Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

And this post has what to do with RVing?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

That's why it is in the Just Conversation area.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The bad part of all this is that we are forever subjected to reports of poisoning and such but when you actually look at the official report you find the ingredient is in the parts per billion category. Not too long ago a truckload of Farmed Salmon was stopped at the truck crossing in Bellingham (??) because the environmental group lead by Alexandra Morton of Telegraph Cove BC leaked a report to US border personnel that the fish had a high concentration of Malachite Green. Well when the report was finally made public, long after the fish were no longer fit for human consumption, we find out that the Malachite Green poison was listed at .3 parts per million. It would be extremely dangerous if you ate (all by yourself) the whole truckload at one sitting. BTW that truck was a 40 refer full of fish.

30 years ago the testing would have listed pretty well everything in the higher percentage numbers but anything under about a 1/2 part per million would be listed and lumped together as trace elements as the detection at that time couldn't identify things in the ultra minute category.

Environmentalists have their place but darned if I can think of where.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHESPE View Post
Three customers maybe infected in four years??

Taco Bell serves more than 2 billion consumers each year in more than 5,800 restaurants in the U.S*

Or 1 case in every 2.66 billion customers??

Man I'm really worried about that

PHESPE

* Taco Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hope I didn't indicate only 3 customers. There were 8 customers in Oklahoma alone in just the last situation in 2011 and one lady is still in the hospital, no idea how many in the other two situations. I don't care to be that one out of 2 1/2 billion who gets hospitalized (Murphy you know).

I guess my biggest concern is that a large organization like Taco Bell can have 3 different instances of food poisoning in 3-4 years and still be in business with no public notification whereas a small family run restaurant in eastern Oklahoma a few years back had one instance of food borne poisoning and the State/FDA shut the restaurant down. Big money talks and the general public suffers for it.

This very much pertains to RVing. When we're traveling, probably eating out some, we could be hundreds of miles away when a restaurant has this problem and we'd never know why we got sick unless it is published in the news.

As the news people keep saying, the public deserves to know the news.

Wagonmaster2
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It will not change my eating habits.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #13

Shouldn't this rant aimed at the FDA....you know the organization your tax $ fund? The organization that seems to be so busy they can't ever evaluation the garbage being advertised on TV, year upon year (ie: quick energy, loose weight, make your body parts bigger/more potent, etc etc)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Shouldn't this rant aimed at the FDA....you know the organization your tax $ fund? The organization that seems to be so busy they can't ever evaluation the garbage being advertised on TV, year upon year (ie: quick energy, loose weight, make your body parts bigger/more potent, etc etc)
Eeeeee Gad you mean I bin wasting my money nd these things don't work.