Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I am trying to find out if I one person is able to take two motorized vehicles into Mexico IF one of them is a Harley Mortorcycle. I had read somewhere the 2nd vehicle had to be less than 450CC engine. We also have a toad which is in my wifes name. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am trying to find out if I one person is able to take two motorized vehicles into Mexico IF one of them is a Harley Mortorcycle. I had read somewhere the 2nd vehicle had to be less than 450CC engine. We also have a toad which is in my wifes name. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
good question Dave
They do have some stringent laws concerning travel past the border areas of Mexico but i have never heard of the "2nd vehicle less then 450cc rule."

When you travel south into Mexico (south of the border areas) with your vehicle, have you had to post a bond guaranteeing that you will bring your vehicle back out of Mexico within a set time? And i know they take a very dim view of anyone but the registered owner, or someone with written notarized permission, to drive a foriegn vehicle down there. So your RV (registered in your name) and your toad (reg'd in wifes name) are safe, ... but how did you intend to get the harley down there? You have a toyhauler setup with a ramp door or something?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My Toad will be a Ford Ranger pick up truck and bike will be in the back of the truck.
I believe the 450CC rule was read in the newly published book on Mexico camping by the Church's. We have called two Mexican insurance carriers and they both claim one person can have a 2nd motorized vehicle as long as the 2nd one is a motorcycle. Its a long drive down there for us and I would prefer to know for 100% accuracy before I drive down with the bike in tow if that is possibly with Mexican rules.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
good question Dave
They do have some stringent laws concerning travel past the border areas of Mexico but i have never heard of the "2nd vehicle less then 450cc rule."

When you travel south into Mexico (south of the border areas) with your vehicle, have you had to post a bond guaranteeing that you will bring your vehicle back out of Mexico within a set time? And i know they take a very dim view of anyone but the registered owner, or someone with written notarized permission, to drive a foriegn vehicle down there. So your RV (registered in your name) and your toad (reg'd in wifes name) are safe, ... but how did you intend to get the harley down there? You have a toyhauler setup with a ramp door or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Obi-Wan, I think you should call or visit the closest Mexican Consulate office. I would'nt advise wearing your white robe or carrying that light saber either.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Hi Dave (Hoverbug) , they indeed especially take a dim view on carrying weapons down there. Its a lot different now then 30 years ago when we boys would regularily cross this border with our shotguns underneath the cab seat after a day of varmit huntin.

Dave (Obi-Wan), but i also would call the Consulate instead of one of the insurance carriers. It seems to me that both of those groups have an interest in getting you into the country, but only one has a strong interest in seeing you get out.

I live here in the border area and if it helps i'll go over to the consulate and ask for the particulars to the vehicle situation if you can't get the info easily enough.

Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote