Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

I lost my father last year but before he passed I asked him to please tell me of his service in WW2. He welled up with tears and said, "I've never spoken of it to anyone." I was fresh from boot camp, a 19 year old Marine who didn't know my a$$ from my elbow. They dropped me with a BAR and 2 standing orders... Kill any Jap you see for what they did in Pearl harbor and do not get dead. Then, they gave him 2 cartons of cigarettes to settle his nerves. He landed on Tarawa later that day. 5800 men landed there and less then 250 walked off after 41 days of hard fighting. He said he prayed every day just to survive, and if he did survive, he would never ask for anything again. He simply said that he had seen enough blood spilled to last 1000 lifetimes. We both were in tears after he recounted that part of his life. That generation was the greatest generation. I thanked him for his service and told him I loved him. His parting words were, "I always thought I would die there in that stinking, awful, island. I left Tarawa alive but I brought back with me my addiction to cigarettes."

2 days later he died. In talking to the doctor after his death, I asked him how does someone get bladder cancer? he said that we don't often see it in the normal population. However, people who smoke for 5 or 6 decades if they get past lung, throat, or lip cancer, they will get organ cancer because of the damage caused over time like bladder cancer. Tarawa did kill him, just 70 years later.

I feel your pain and losing a parent is sadly, something we all must endure. There is only one thing worse. Much worse, and that is losing a child. My thoughts are with you.
-Paul R. Haller-

Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Need more tissues........Sanford

Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Very touching. I lost both parents at an early age. They were not even old enough to get quirky. It really bothers me when people take them for granted. Most of the time it is unintentional and is just human nature, but they never realize what they will be missing, some day.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Sonny,

Usually when I see a post with your name attached to it, I know I'm gonna get a chuckle. I don't read all your jokes, but, when I seen so many responses, I had to find out what the buzz was all about.

You have reminded me of the importance of keeping in touch with my parents more than I do.

Thank you for this post,

Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
My father in 1974, he was just 39. Last Dec my wife's sister died and in March my brother died, they were both 58. We have been living about 1200 miles from our family for 20 yrs. We do try and see them as much as we can, but with a kid in school (she is a senior this yr) and preparing for college it is hard to see them as much as we want. My mother was just here for a concert in which my daughter was performing. Was nice to have her here. All I can say is we don't see family and friends enough. Life gets in the way sometimes, or at least we let it get in the way. Be sure to talk to your kids, parents or siblings a lot. They may not be here in a few minutes. I still miss my father and brother a lot....
new2rving2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks. The memories are all I have left of my mom. Miss her. Your story brought warm and hard emotions all together. Merry Christmas, you gave me a grateful gift.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
I got a couple of dinners with both my Mom and Dad.

HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #22
Gulf Streamers Club
2010, My dad came to live with me and the wife, I had just retired and bought the new to us 2008 motorhome, Now my dad retired in 1977 and had spent the winters in Fla. Bringing him back to Mich was a hard thing for him, 2011 at the age of 91 he went in and had a core valve installed in the aorta valve of his heart. He was back home with me in 3 days. He is now 94 (will be 95 in Feb, still drives to the diner for lunch every day, We don't see eye to eye on alot of things but there's 30 yrs difference in our age. When I see or read a story like the orig poster made it makes me proud, happy and thankfull that I can be a part of my dads life. Needless to say the motorhome has not gotten much use, But the truth be known I'm o.k. knowing I'm here for my dad, My wife is a saint in the broadest of terms. She was the one that recommended bringing him home with us.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Thank you for sharing this story and thank your wife for being sensitive enough to give both you and your Mom that last time together. What women you have had in your life. Made me cry.

My Dad died over 30 years ago after burying my brother. He just couldn't accept the death of his child. Mom died December 27th 4 years ago this Christmas. We never know when we are going to loose someone and often get so busy in life that we don't realize how fast time goes by and then it is too late.

Make the time! Make the call! Send a card! Give a hug! When we become adults we think we are strong and can handle anything. It's easy to have this arrogance when our family is alive. As one or both parents die we become unsure at times and find a lot of our strength or security comes from them being by our side supporting us.

This Christmas especially I have felt their loss. I suppose part of it is because Monday I have a ventricular heart ablation and am scared to death. I work in the field and at this point know too much. Wish my Mom was here and there really is nothing she can do.

Those of you who have your parents, please enjoy them.
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Wow, that brought some tears my eyes. You had a special opportunity there. I didn't have the opportunity to be with my Mother when she died, but I had seen her the week before, on Mother's Day yet it still isn't enough for me. For anyone out there who has unresolved issues with family members, I encourage you to make amends while there is still time, even if it means saying you're sorry for something that's not even your fault.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #25
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks, great story. My dad passed earlier this year and I miss him every day
Mike Z
2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36.6 ft
w22, 8.1 and live in Virginia Beach, VA
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #26
Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
great message

lost my mother 27 years ago, never knew my dad, he was from and lived in texas, they split before I was born
Everyday is a holiday, and every meal a banquet 2014 Coachman Pursuit 27KB , A work in progress:
1986 Winnebago Chieftain 23' 454 p30,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #27
Mid Atlantic Campers
love this story thank you for sharing
1997 Safari Trek
onespotleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was fortunate to have both of my parents well into their 90th year before they passed away peacefully. I was at their bedside when it occurred.

Only trouble is, more than 90 years wasn't long enough.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote