Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Rusty's comments are right on....

I am planning on visiting Nashville AND the Grand Ole Opry...

Inasmuch as there is SO much history in Nashville,I am making the choice of not allowing some legal issue between a performer and a management company to come between my being able to see a great part of country music history.

To each their own I guess....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
I have been to the opre many times over the years and have enjoyed it. This last summer we stopped in on our way to Branson and I found myself not enjoying as much as in the past. Maybe it is the new direction things are taking and I just did not know it. I enjoyed the Ryman performance several years ago of a Patsy Kline impersonation show.
Bob you are correct about all the history in the area. Tootsie's Orchid Lounge was years ago a real neat place to spend and evening, but things just seem to change.

Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Must be the box office hasn't gotten the word yet. I have front row seats for the Opry and as those of you who have met me know, I have "distinguishing" grey hair.

One person will never stop me from what I decide to do. We try to do Branson and the Opry once a year. And will continue to do so.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
We too went to Nashville last year and a lot has changed there since we were there 3 years ago.Kind of seems like they are trying to push all the old memories of music city into a back ally and seal them off.Too many tall buildings blotting out the past.I think that last year was our last time to visit music city.We'll just keep the memories.
It takes thousands of nuts to hold a truck together and only one to scatter it all over the highway.
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Don't know about all this tempest over the Opry, but a Christmastime visit to Opryland and the Opryland (Gaylord?) Hotel is unforgettable - even if it was "colder than a welldigger's lunch bucket!"
Gary M. and Darla Smith

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the last few years country music ain't very country anymore. The Opry and Nashville is on the bottom of the pile for real country music.

I guess I will have to fight the all the people in Branson. Maybe I will get real venturesome and go to the Midwest Country Theater in Sandstone, MN. They sound like the Opry did 50 years ago.

George & Karen Wharton
2004 Allegro 30DA W-20
2000 Jimmy toad
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
We XX Nashville off our list when the management of "Fan Fair" in their infinite wisdom at the urging of the downtown merchants moved the show from the State Fairgrounds to the stadium Downtown. Used to go every year, park the RV on the grounds, several hundred yds. from the gate, full hookups, come and go as you wish, have a cold beer and a sandwich between shows, couldn't be better. "WRONG"
This new country/pop/near-rap just don't get it. Bob Wills is still the King, as well as Ernest Tubb, Ralph Emory, Flatt&Scruggs, the Hanks, Ray Price and Merle.
Thank God for satellite radio and Willie's Place.
Dave, Miss Sue and Lucy the Scotty
00 Windsor, 40', Grand Cherokee Limited
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob Wills is still the King </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Western Swing!
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #23
MCDDY, could not agree with you more re Willies Place. However, we are fortunate to have in-motion satallite in our coach and we take one of the Direct TV receivers from the house and listen to Willies Place from one side of the country to the other. It plays through the TV and the surround sound system- which is great because the in-dash speaker system ain't nothing to write home about. Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
Yep Country Music is changing a lot. When I first started working as a Country DJ we could
pick our own Music, Willie, Waylon, George,
Conway, Tammy, Kitty, Patsy Loretta, were hot.
We even played a few unknowns, Who remembers
Don Bowman, Judy Lynn, Jack and Misty, Sheb
Wooley, Alias Ben Colder, Red Simpson I could
go on and on. I found for those that like clasic country Willie' Place on XMradio is great. We have it both in the car and Motor home. Fun to see there are still folks who enjoy
true traditional Country.
Pete & Elaine
cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #25
There is no country music in Nashville any longer.

I lessen to this radio station (WDVX.com) to get my country music fix.

I do not have XM/radio or I would be listing to Bob Wills for Western Swing it would be hard to get tired of bob.

But if you do not have XM give WDVX out of Knoxville a try for Blue Grass. Give Mr. ALEX Leach some or your time (Tuesday and Saturday nights) he has one great show.

Hillbilly Fever one Thursday nights is also good listing.

I am sure if you like Blue Grass you will be happy with the time you spend there.

Let me know what you thank of WDVX.

Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #26
I think the whole thing all about money and nothing else. It's well known that younger people spend more money than most of us 60 and old folks do. Another point is you can't live in the past forever and expect to see the older recording artists in person. A large percentage of them have already passed away. There are a few good new artists out there and they can use your support if you like them. Just keep in mind that George Jones, Hank Williams, Etc. where only a few of the many that tried to be country stars. Only a few ever become big names. I to like the older country, but one day if we hang to not accepting a few of the new ones will only have recordings to listen to. I have 1000's of old country recordings and enjoy them very much. But I also enjoy hearing some of the new kids on the block. Some of the best new country folks around are heard at small town shows and very few will ever see the big time.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #27
Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I am only 47, but I like Older Country Music and Bluegrass as well! I was mad at Nashville when they got rid of the Opryland Amussment Park for a mall !!! As far as a lot of the older recording artists passing away and seeing them in person goes. A bunch of us were lucky enough while at the iRV2 National Rally last year, to go and see George Jones !! It was a great show too !! We don't have any country radio where we live, but I am lucky enough to have Direct TV so I listen to 808 America, 811 Willie's Place and 812 Bluegrass Junction. I also watch GAC & CMT all to keep me going!! I also have a few Cd's that another iRV2 member made me that I listen to often, thanks Alvin !!!
AL, & Mickey "The Boston"! Silver Springs, FL Camping since 1967 and RVing since 1990! A 2011 Keystone Hornet 30RKDS & 2015 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Delux WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLE
AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
I am in total agreement about WDVX out of Knoxville(Clinton)TN. I have been listening to that little station since they were broadcasting out of the little camper(yep a little tag along)from the Fox Campground in Clinton TN...so long the dial is rusted stuck on that station.One of my life long dreams was to see Doc Watson play in person...I got to do that year before last.

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a truck together and only one to scatter it all over the highway.
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote