Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Blindly following the GPS once ended up on a dirt road in the front yard of an old farm house when we missed a turn. Had to back the trailer up about half a mile before I was able to get turned around. Then took the right road only to find out it was closed with a gate. So with my low fuel light on, in the rain, I had to back up again another half mile or so until I found a field that I could back into and drag the trailer out in four wheel drive. After that we headed back to the highway and took the long way......😁

Steveo57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talk about dumb decisions!!!

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
.........When I got on the street that's when I saw the steel cable stretched all the way across the parking lot!

The street I'm pulled onto goes into a residential area. NO WAY! .............. D

Joe..... Why not residential? Those streets are drivable.

I've been caught a couple of times in places not as roomy as anticipated. First thing to do when your eyes have fooled you once is stop trusting your eyes! At the first thought of "...I'm not sure...", stop, grab your phone, and pop up Google Maps. You can find the right route to drive around the block and return to your highway.

Life only has to be as complicated as you let it.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Joe..... Why not residential? Those streets are drivable.

I've been caught a couple of times in places not as roomy as anticipated. First thing to do when your eyes have fooled you once is stop trusting your eyes! At the first thought of "...I'm not sure...", stop, grab your phone, and pop up Google Maps. You can find the right route to drive around the block and return to your highway.

Life only has to be as complicated as you let it.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126

John, you're right, I would have been MUCH better off trying the residential streets! What's that they say about hindsight!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If that's the worst thing you ever do driving a MH...you're in good shape.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
We're pretty new to the RV game having had our coach for just a hair over two months now. A week ago, while driving to meet up with another camper .. I realized I made a wrong turn and needed to go back. I figured I'd simply do a "U" turn via a 'turn around' opening in the median of the boulevard I was driving down. The street had two relatively narrow lanes in each direction and a thin median (6'-8' wide) separating the two directions.

I made sure it was clear to my rear, moved into the right lane and started to make the turn. I no sooner started the turn before I realized there was no way I was going to get my 43' long coach turned around. Rather than stupidly "push" a bad position - I stopped and looked to back up. Unfortunately, a couple of vehicles had just entered the road behind me from a local business. There I was - straddling the road ... with traffic coming up and stopping behind me.

Fortunately, they realized I was in trouble - and gave me enough space to back up and continue in my original direction of travel. (Well ... truth be told, they didn't have much choice ... I had the road completely blocked).

About the only good things I can say about that screw up was a) I didn't damage anything ... and b) I'll never see those particular folks again!
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
Back in summer of 2013 wife and I were on a 2 week trip up the Oregon coast and through WA, took the ferry over to Victoria BC and as we are driving to the camp ground I make a mistake and turned right into a residential street and then make another mistake by not stopping and getting out and walking ahead. Keep going and end up in a dead end with cars parked on both sides of the street. Ahead there is a curb and grass area and beyond is the street I needed to be on. This trip was with our old 2011 Keystone 30 foot TT and my old diesel 4x4. So I switched into 4x4 and drove over the curb/grass/curb and stopped traffic while I got going in the right direction.
Phil & Alberta Saran
2015 Thor Hurricane 34E with V10
2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 towd
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #21
National RV Owners Club
The tightest scrape I got into was not of my own doing. Waiting for the Port Townsend ferry to take us over to Whiteby Isl. and they put us in a lane next to several tractor trailers. There was only about 35 feet of space in front of us and you have to make a sharp left turn, then a sharp right turn to actually load onto the ferry. I am about 38' long so of course the guy loading the ferry tells me to go. I looked at him and said I didn't think I could make that turn. He said, try it anyway, well turns out I was right. So now I am on a diagonal with big trucks to the left, cars in the lane to the right and and almost no wiggle room whatsoever. The woman in the car next to my rear end could literally reach out her window and touch my rig. I was that close as I tried in vane to back and forth around the first turn. Finally, they had to get the rigs to back up to give me some space for a tighter cut.

You know it is bad when people come up to you on a ferry and congratulate you on a fine job of driving and for not hitting anyone.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
This is how we become "Experienced" RV drivers.
LOL! My DW uses this as the signature line on her emails: "Experience is something you donít get until just after you need it."

I'm very careful and won't pull into any parking lot or street unless I've looked it over and made sure I can get out safely and without issue. At least that's the theory: in reality it turns out I'm not as good at judging that as I'd like to be. But at least I'm gaining lots of experience in that regard!

One example: At a gas station, I found a good path in and out that wasn't going to give me any problems. But while I was filling up, DW decided she wanted to go inside for a bit, and asked me to park after pumping. There was a lot off to the side of the station, and there were several buses parked in it, so I figured there was room to park and turn around. Wrong.

As I get out to check things out, a couple of the workers on break behind the building are saying I'll never be able to turn around. I said "Watch me!" I unhooked the toad, putting it in a parking space. Backed the rig into a couple parking spaces, pulled forward to complete the 3 point turn, and hooked up the toad again. Five minutes total. The workers were impressed and said "it looks like you've done that before." My answer was "Yes, unfortunately, too many times..."

I had everything hooked up and was just getting back in to the driver's seat when DW came out. Perfect timing.

Things haven't always gone according to plan, but so far so good: no damage or other problems, just a few minutes of wasted time...
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
bad decisions

This is one I hope none of you ever get into. First long trip in our new to us 38 ft. Towing the HHR on our way to the outer banks. We are on the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel route. It's lunch time and I think it would be great to stop at the rest area, scenic view,restaurant. Well it had been years since I had gone that route but remember it's right at the end of one of the tunnels. So I set up for the turn early in the tunnel not
By slowing down with turn signal on. Get to end of tunnel with traffic still flying by Thursday 60+, swing the turn and miss judge it by about a foot at the left front wheel with the curb. Toad still out in the travel lane and I am not gonna get out and unhook it with the crazy traffic.
So bit the bit and back it up a foot and cut it and make the turn in.all the while waiting for the toad to come flying over the coach. Some other time I'll tell you about getting out after lunch.it was worse the pulling in.
DreamBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
Ford Super Duty Owner
This happened to a close friend of mine and it is priceless so I have to tell you. He was pulling a 28' TT and stopped for a Sub. They did go around and pulled up facing out but back out of the way so traffic could pass and since it was not to busy they did block several spots. It was summer and they left the dog in the truck with the engine running but locked the doors. They went in ordered their sandwiches and sat down facing the window so they could watch the truck and TT.

A few seconds passed and Charlie saw his truck & TT moving through the lot heading towards the highway. He jumped up sprinted out through the door towards the truck as it entered the highway all the while searching for his keys and the door fob. The truck and TT crossed the road and didn't get hit, went several yards and drove between two poles with little more than a few feet between them. By that time he reached the truck, somehow got the door opened and hit the brake.

I asked him what he thought happened. His best guess was that maybe he didn't get the gear selector into park and maybe the dogs butt hit the lever putting it in drive at idle. Why he didn't put the parking brake on is anybodies guess. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I don't know how his lunch went down. Nothing was scratched and nobody was hurt. He for sure had somebody looking out for him that day.
I still laugh every time I think of how that must have looked to the patrons in the Sub Shop. I think he got a round of applause when he went back in for his sandwich.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I saw the steel cable stretched all the way across the parking lot!

The street I'm pulled onto goes into a residential area. NO WAY!

Last summer, DW and I were in Yosemite Valley with a 26' Class C rental.
Were coming back to our campsite slowly rolling thru the campground so as to not make a lot of dust. DW and were talking and I missed the turn at the Do Not Enter sign and just kept on rolling . The other campers were just looking at us like we were from Mars or something . I got to the end of the row and with the help of DW I executed a 180 deg U turn between trees, parked cars and other MHs and trailers with inches to spare . I'll never miss that Do Not Enter sign again!

2016 Thor AXIS 24.1 RUV
RVM 118
The "Journey" is (the sight seeing part of) the "Destination"
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote