Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Talk about dumb decisions!!!

On a trip last weekend we got off the interstate for lunch. When we got ready to leave, I missed the on-ramp and started looking for a place to turn around. I spotted a business that that was closed with a parking lot large enough for me to turn around. It was a quick decision and I had to turn left across the oncoming traffic onto a street next to the building. When I got on the street that's when I saw the steel cable stretched all the way across the parking lot!

The street I'm pulled onto goes into a residential area. NO WAY! I see that the business on the other side of the street has a drive around the back of the building that looks wide enough for me to make it. WRONG! Like an idiot I turn into the drive, without getting out and walking it first, and when I get to the other corner I realize it's WAY too tight a turn for me to make!

I've always believed that the Lord has His Angels watch over those too dumb to take care of themselves, and He didn't fail me this time! Straight ahead is another business, also closed, with a large parking lot, and the only barrier between the two businesses is a row of large steel posts, spaced 12' apart, and the space between two of them is directly in front of me! I drive between the posts, with the DW watching my spacing, through the parking lot, back onto the main street, and believe me, I didn't miss that on-ramp this time!

I hope none of you have ever done anything this stupid, and I'm gonna try REALLY hard not to ever do that again! My Angel might be busy somewhere else next time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Been there , done... well not exactly that.

Return trip home from snowbirding in SoCA. Delayed in traffic south of Seattle WA, it's dark by the time we're taking the 405 to avoid I-5 through the center of town, miss the on-ramp to get back on the I-5; navigator sleeping, no GPS at that time, end up on narrow two lane heading for WA state ferry dock, only spot to think about turning is an ambulance only access to a seniors home, in and out in under 30 sec. hope no one noticed.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We were coming back to TN from Alaska taking the scenic route through WA, OR, CA. Somewhere along the route we wanted to stop near the ocean and saw a sign, turned in and committed but it was too to see a big NO RV turnaround sign. I had to pull into a parking space and then back in diagonally to another spot and do multiple iterations of forward/back/forward/back to be able to turn around. Luckily I wasn't pulling a car like I do now. I am more careful in picking my turns etc.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

It happens to all of us sooner or later. Fortunately your angel prevented you from damaging something expensive. We jokingly tell folks we are writing a book entitled "U-turns across the USA".
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #5

Before the freeways went through Sacramento, CA, US 40 zigzagged through the downtown streets around the Capitol Building. A friend and i got turned around and wound up going down under the Capitol Building through the Senate and Assembly parking lot. We had a Security Guard yelling at us, but we kept going and zipped out the exit on the other side of the building. Actually it worked out to be a pretty nice shortcut, but we never did it again.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the pre-GPS days, we were lemmings following a friend who "knew" where the campground was where we had reservations. He made a wrong turn, we followed. We wound up at the front entrance to a state mental hospital. I wonder what the patients thought? 😳

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
In the pre-GPS days, we were lemmings following a friend who "knew" where the campground was where we had reservations. He made a wrong turn, we followed. We wound up at the front entrance to a state mental hospital. I wonder what the patients thought? 😳

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Just be thankful they didn't keep you!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Joe - it is only "dumb" or "stupid" if you do it again hoping for a different outcome.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Joe - it is only "dumb" or "stupid" if you do it again hoping for a different outcome.

Thank goodness for that!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Joe,
Several years ago I read a post here on IRV2 that described the incident you had very well. He described it has having become "experienced". This is how we become "Experienced" RV drivers. Other areas where I've become "experienced" would include dumping the holding tanks, repairing plumbing, leveling, and the list goes on.
The best way to handle becoming experienced is to do just as you have done, laugh and vow to never to do it again, and you won't (until next time of course).
Old 06-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #11

We were in Virginia and desperate for gas. Looking in "next exit" book found gas at the next exit. Got off the highway and found the station pulled in and got gas. First time towing the 32' TT did not think on pulling back out. I had to back out onto a very busy divided road. It took a while and DW calling out directions and stopping traffic we made it to a round of applause from the bystanders. Learned to check the pump orientation before pulling in.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #12

DH turned into a Taco Bell. Assumed there was a drive around to the other side other than the drive-thru. Wrong!!! All they had was the drive-thru which was about 9 ft. or so clearance. Once you were in the parking lot, your only 2 choices were to continue on to the drive-thru or park in a parking space. We had no choice but to unhook the toad so he could back out of the parking lot. A lady sitting inside came out to leave and commented on how they were watching what we were going to do and how calm he was. (On the outside. He was not calm on the inside, I assure you, and neither was I.) We then went across the street to a Home Depot parking lot. I walked across the street to get our lunch and brought it back to the MH to eat.
These dumb decisions do help for future decisions. We've learned first-hand the hard way to be really, really careful where we decide to go.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
On a trip last weekend we got off the interstate for lunch. When we got ready to leave, I missed the on-ramp and started looking for a place to turn around. I spotted a business that that was closed with a parking lot large enough for me to turn around. It was a quick decision and I had to turn left across the oncoming traffic onto a street next to the building. When I got on the street that's when I saw the steel cable stretched all the way across the parking lot!

The street I'm pulled onto goes into a residential area. NO WAY! I see that the business on the other side of the street has a drive around the back of the building that looks wide enough for me to make it. WRONG! Like an idiot I turn into the drive, without getting out and walking it first, and when I get to the other corner I realize it's WAY too tight a turn for me to make!

I've always believed that the Lord has His Angels watch over those too dumb to take care of themselves, and He didn't fail me this time! Straight ahead is another business, also closed, with a large parking lot, and the only barrier between the two businesses is a row of large steel posts, spaced 12' apart, and the space between two of them is directly in front of me! I drive between the posts, with the DW watching my spacing, through the parking lot, back onto the main street, and believe me, I didn't miss that on-ramp this time!

I hope none of you have ever done anything this stupid, and I'm gonna try REALLY hard not to ever do that again! My Angel might be busy somewhere else next time!
lol......My co-pilot almost had me run into a river very late at night one time using GPS. It was a no moon night and I had to turn around an almost 60 foot rig on sheer will and faith in the dirt which was very tight. It happens and we survived
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #14

And you called me brave for admitting my fueling mistake!!

It happens. Our engine batteries went out in Phoenix last year and tried to get into a small strip mall to get to a parts store for new batteries. I was already committed when I realized the way they laid out the parking lot there was no way out. Fortunately, the guys at the parts store came out and guided me backing up between parked cars and back onto a very busy street. Of course, the other alternative would have been a very large object blocking their front door!

Has anyone driven around Niagara Falls? I once had to go the wrong way down a one-way street as I couldn't figure out any other alternative.