Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Tax attorney

I am looking at semi full timing, and running a business from an RV.

I know the standard answer is to find a tax attorney. There are none in my local area (within and hour). Since I am will be doing most of it on the phone, instead of picking a random name from an ad, I thought I would check here.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tax attorney that deals with business and RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

You need a good tax accountant and an attorney if you have legal questions or help forming an LLC. Check out naea.org. National Association of Enrolled Agents. We are licensed by the IRS and user friendly.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

You will find it very difficult to find either a tax attorney or a CPA who is well versed in deducting an RV for business. There have been a number of cases where taxpayers have used their RV’s for business and taken the deductions which have been challenged by the IRS. In both of the cases of which I am aware the taxpayers have lost.

One of the cases was an individual who worked from his RV for his home based business. He lost his case because his “office area” was not solely used as an office. The second one was a couple who specialized in selling RV insurance. They also lost. I believe in the second case they lost because they took 100% of the RV expenses as business. A general rule of thumb that we use is “pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.” It’s okay to be a little piggie but when you get to be a great big hog then you become a target.

Where we have been able to take RV’s as business deductions was as housing for temporary living on jobs. We have a number of clients who worked in the oil and gas fields of PA, OH, and WV. There are no motels where they are working so they would take their fifth wheels and pickups for their housing while on assignment. I should add that we never had the deduction challenged so our ability to take the deduction was based strictly on our interpretation of the law which we believe would stand up under audit.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #4

An rv for a tax dodge is almost as bad (and watched almost as closely) as an airplane.

If you can expense a hotel then you can deduct an rv...but only the percentage it's in use for business vs personal. (Keep good records!) If you're telecommuting to a job or running an online business or something from your RV, deducting your RV won't fly. But a good CPA is worth the few bucks a year
Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You will find it very difficult to find either a tax attorney or a CPA who is well versed in deducting an RV for business. There have been a number of cases where taxpayers have used their RV’s for business and taken the deductions which have been challenged by the IRS. In both of the cases of which I am aware the taxpayers have lost.

One of the cases was an individual who worked from his RV for his home based business. He lost his case because his “office area” was not solely used as an office. The second one was a couple who specialized in selling RV insurance. They also lost. I believe in the second case they lost because they took 100% of the RV expenses as business. A general rule of thumb that we use is “pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.” It’s okay to be a little piggie but when you get to be a great big hog then you become a target.

Where we have been able to take RV’s as business deductions was as housing for temporary living on jobs. We have a number of clients who worked in the oil and gas fields of PA, OH, and WV. There are no motels where they are working so they would take their fifth wheels and pickups for their housing while on assignment. I should add that we never had the deduction challenged so our ability to take the deduction was based strictly on our interpretation of the law which we believe would stand up under audit.
It seems you just found your taxman who knows RVs, that is if WNYtaxman is still taking clients.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

I have seen the 2 "Big" cases. I also understand that the law varies greatly and there are few people well versed in it.

Each business is different and I know there are many issues with this, which is why I am looking for professional help.

That is why I came here, to an RV forum to look for recommendations, vs picking a random name and hoping for the best.

I will be sending a PM, but still looking for recommendations if anyone has a trusted person/firm.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of business?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What kind of business?
We will be keeping our house, for many reasons, but want to start a travel and photography business. I know it is a semi saturated market, but I am burned out on my "real life" as it is. Even if I make 1/2 the money I do now, but am happy it will be worth it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
We will be keeping our house, for many reasons, but want to start a travel and photography business. I know it is a semi saturated market, but I am burned out on my "real life" as it is. Even if I make 1/2 the money I do now, but am happy it will be worth it.
I owned a computer store and would travel in my coach to service customers whose agriculture business took them to Yuma every year. My accountant knew exactly what expenses, etc I could write off and it worked out well.

I'd really suggest you get an accountant as the laws vary a lot and vary from year to year.

My Son in Law owns a photography business and does OK with it but he has been in the same area all his life and knows a lot of people and that's important. Word of mouth is your best advertisement.

Good luck on your venture. You never know till you try!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #10

Just make sure you keep meticulous records of everything. I'll be taking MACRS depreciation in addition to my normal fuel, lodging, meals etc. I run real estate web sites and will be visiting current clients (in addition to gaining new ones) in all parts of the country. Only way to serve them efficiently is with an RV or a personal airplane.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tax laws are in flux just now (Translation. A Tax Attorney/expert is a good idea).

But since you are going "Mobile" Why is "Local" an issue For now you can deliver papers fax and or pdr (E-mail) and get replies the same way since you are setting up advice .. He can instruct you on filing procedures where your actual real signature is needed. (not a fax copy).

I'fe one a lot of business this way.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This is a little off topic....but check your insurance policy. Both companies that I have used for my RV insurance exclude coverage if your RV is used for business. If you are getting deductions for running a business then I think it would be hard to argue against them not paying any claims that might arise.