Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #29

Agreed, the politics gets ugly real quick.

I can't help but wonder how our government functioned decades ago with lower tax rates. Yes there were less assistance type programs but the country still survived.

Another random thought, we hear of job cuts due to efficiency improvements. When will our politicians start job cuts? Certainly they have benefited from technology, right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
To me the magic number that is absolutely can not ever go above is 50%. To me there is almost no argument that can be made to say hey we the government need more than half your earnings..
Apparently there is no limit to taxation...
During World War II, Congress introduced payroll withholding and quarterly tax payments. In pursuit of equality (rather than revenue) President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed a 100% tax on all incomes over $25,000
When Congress did not enact that proposal, Roosevelt issued an executive order attempting to achieve a similar result. For tax years 1944 through 1951, the highest marginal tax rate for individuals was 91%, increasing to 92% for 1952 and 1953, and reverting to 91% for tax years 1954 through 1963.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
During World War II, Congress introduced payroll withholding and quarterly tax payments. In pursuit of equality (rather than revenue) President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed a 100% tax on all incomes over $25,000
When Congress did not enact that proposal, Roosevelt issued an executive order attempting to achieve a similar result. For tax years 1944 through 1951, the highest marginal tax rate for individuals was 91%, increasing to 92% for 1952 and 1953, and reverting to 91% for tax years 1954 through 1963.

When I first started in public accounting in the mid-70's the top tax rate was around 70% or so. The funny part was some of the deductions that were allowed back then. You could deduct not only sales taxes and income taxes but also gas taxes and even cigarette taxes. Credit card interest was also deductible for quite a few years.

What most Americans don't realize is that our tax code has evolved into major social legislation over the years. I'm not sure when that evolution began but there are all kinds of incentives to do one thing or another in the tax code. For example, businesses can deduct the cost of health insurance for their employees which was meant to encourage people to have health insurance. The advent of retirement accounts and the deduction for them was another piece of social legislation. Mortgage interest deduction was meant to encourage home ownership and on and on.

As I stated earlier, there will be winners and losers in any change in the tax laws. That is assuming that there are changes that actually do pass Congress. All of us need to be aware of at least the potential of change and any planning we can do to give us the best advantage to whatever changes may occur.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I am actually going to look that up and read on it a little bit I had no idea. Thanks for that insight.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Agreed, the politics gets ugly real quick.

I can't help but wonder how our government functioned decades ago with lower tax rates. Yes there were less assistance type programs but the country still survived.

Another random thought, we hear of job cuts due to efficiency improvements. When will our politicians start job cuts? Certainly they have benefited from technology, right?
We have the same amount of politicians now... The problem is all the departments and all the other fluff. I am not even just talking just assistance programs I am talking everything across the board seems to be just bloated..
Old 11-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #34

Quote:
everything across the board seems to be just bloated..
Exactly my point!!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am actually going to look that up and read on it a little bit I had no idea. Thanks for that insight.
Quote was from- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati..._United_States

under heading- "Development of the Modern Income Tax"

Franklin D. Roosevelt: Letter Against a Repeal of the $25,000 Net Salary Limitation
Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Not defending 100% tax, but for context, $25k in 1943 equates to about $350k today.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #37

If you are over 70 1/2 and have a IRA you are required to take a Minimum Required Distribution MRD. If you also give to charities you can do so by doing a Qualified Charitable Contribution QCD. A QCD is NOT TAXABLE it does not count as income in determining the amount of your Social Security that is taxable. A QCD does count towards your MRD. In my case I have check writing on my IRA through Fidelity. The only stipulation is the check must be $500 or more. I do not know if that is a Fidelity requirement or government.
This is in effect now and as far as I know it does not change in either of the tax proposals. So if if this situation applies to you it is worth looking into.
I believe in paying all the taxes I am required by law to pay, but not one cent more.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
That's how it's supposed to work. What we have is designed to be a progressive tax system -- the first part of everyone's income, which covers necessities, is taxed little if at all. As income goes up, moving more into the "disposable" category, more of it goes to taxes. That idea gets blurred by all of the deductions, different treatment of different kinds of income, etc. For instance, "ordinary income" (like salaries and IRA withdrawals) gets taxed at a much higher rate than dividends and capital gains. The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) is supposed to make sure not too much income slips into lower-taxed categories, but both the current House and Senate tax bills would repeal it.

I wouldn't worry about those high-income folks too much ... looks like they're about to be taken care of nicely.

That how it works, but is wrong in so many ways.

Class-envy sticking it to the earners is all it is. Which is why I say “good for you “ to anyone that can “avoid” as many taxes as they can.

A flat tax rate should be the bare minimum of tax changes... but that will probably never happen.

There is plenty of spending cuts that could be made to support it.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
Well that's about 4% of the federal government along with about 16% for DoD. I'll pony in a little extra if we cut all that other stuff and cut my taxes by 75%.

Having friends that worked with DoD, according to them your number is off just a bit. Military expenditures are 51% of our GDP!! Highest in the world!!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #40

51% of GDP?

That's like 9 trillion dollars.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Having friends that worked with DoD, according to them your number is off just a bit. Military expenditures are 51% of our GDP!! Highest in the world!!
Friends also off just a bit. Defense spending highest was 10% of GDP at the peak of Vietnam war (1968) then gradually decreased to 3.4% in 2001, (before 9/11). Now at 4.4% of GDP.
https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...nding_analysis

However- Our defense spending as a percent of GDP is the highest of our allies and does account for about half of our discretionary spending. (Includes Defense, Government departments and salaries, Foreign Aid and Education spending. Does not include Social Security, Health Care, Entitlement programs or National Debt, these are mandatory expenses.)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #42

[mod edit]

Their eye is in privatizing your Social Security and Medicare. Then destroying both.
Quote:
The only thing that matters is the number at the end of the year. If I pay less overall I dont care how i get there.
Closed Thread