Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Rita and I attended the last TAX protest, it was in November of 2008, unfortunately not enough folks "protested" .
widowson1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #16

We attended one in Brownsville, TN at the court house. 100+ folks. I hope that this continues to grow. Our elected officials need to get back to following the U.S. Constitution and putting the people first.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #17

We attended the one here in Franklin. Over 600 people showed up. The local freebie paper covered it... The local regular paper didn't. It was great. We attended as food vendors (the only ones... this is largely a democratic town...).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #18

We had a very nice gathering here in Atlanta --- hope for more to come in the future. The Fox channel is one of the "backers" of the gathering here in Atlanta. There was suppost to be an opposition "demonstration" but, ah em --- the organizers could not get it off the ground.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I did not make the tax protest here in New Bern, but there was a large crowd. I should not say tax protest but a spending protest. It was covered on the local news. I did see where a CNN reported got very ugly with a protester. She ask him a question and before he could finish, she jumped all over him. I am not suprised seen this several times from the news media.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #20

We can change the situation at the next election. It's time the people took charge of this country.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't make the tea party in Lafayette, perhaps more people will get involved when the new taxes on their 401K's take place.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfrompasadena View Post
We can change the situation at the next election. It's time the people took charge of this country.
The basic problem is that, by the next election, the huge amounts of money will have been spent, the interest incurred and there will be no way to deal with the situation except sky rocketing taxes. Contrary to some media reports, the root problem crosses all party and governmental lines. Many believe that Social Security is the equivalent of the government version of a Madoff ponzi scheme because it is being handled as a "pay as you go" system and the future payments will far outstrip the projected revenues - even before all of the other additional spending that has already passed is included. When you add in the potential costs of "cap and trade" and national healthcare, there is no place to go financially. The key is sufficient public pressure before any more of these wild expenses are passed. After they are passed, it will be too late.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
chasfm11:

Geeze Charlie....kinda bleak...eh? I certainly agree with you, and so do numerous others, but the frustration and even anger we see stems from the inability to affect any REAL change. Short of whistling in the wind by calling, writing, e-mailing or petitioning our representatives, and short of waiting for and hoping to change representatives through the election process, we are pretty much helpless. HOW do we affect, as you say, "sufficient public pressure?" Steve
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
The basic problem is that, by the next election, the huge amounts of money will have been spent, the interest incurred and there will be no way to deal with the situation except sky rocketing taxes. Contrary to some media reports, the root problem crosses all party and governmental lines. Many believe that Social Security is the equivalent of the government version of a Madoff ponzi scheme because it is being handled as a "pay as you go" system and the future payments will far outstrip the projected revenues - even before all of the other additional spending that has already passed is included. When you add in the potential costs of "cap and trade" and national healthcare, there is no place to go financially. The key is sufficient public pressure before any more of these wild expenses are passed. After they are passed, it will be too late.
Yes, the next President will be stuck with a debt that makes the Bush deficit look like pocket change. Of course, he will have to raise taxes, among other good things and take the subsequent heat from the people.

In Arizona, Nappy Napolitano (she of the, "it is returning servicemen that are the real terrorist threat") spent the state into a $B+ shortfall. Not the new Gov, Brewer-R needs to raise taxes to keep from going bankrupt. Of course, the people blame her for all the problems.

Moral of the story... Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
hamguy:

That final statement ("Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.") is kinda cute, and I've seen it in a number of places, BUT,...it's WRONG, and OFFENSIVE!!!

The American public can no longer determine WHAT is true and what isn't!! The American public is bombarded every minute of every day with politcal position ads, selected sound bites, slanted news articles, movies/tv shows w. underlying slanted agenda msgs., biased media presentations, etc. etc. etc. The American public is also bombarded with all those damnable ads. Such ads range from those saprophytic attorney firms trolling for clients to sue big bad corporations for everything from asbestos exposure to denture adhesive, to position ads trying to garner support for energy agendas, "green" environental agendas, insurance agendas, health care agendas, etc. etc.

The "American public". as you put it, aren't stupid, but since it's crap in, ya get crap out,.....and....the public is SO inundated with this stuff, some of which strikes a chord, sorting out the truth about ANY issue, whether local, state, federal, economic, political, YOU NAME IT!!...has become impossible. ALL those with special agendas KNOW THIS!! And, they use this to manipulate the American public as effectively as they can to ensnare that public into support for their agenda.

Sure!....one can isolate ANY given "issue" and dilegently attempt to gather information and to "get to the bottom" of what is or is not true about THAT issue, but FEW Americans can ever be afforded the time and effort needed to "get to the bottom" of EVERY issue affecting them. Are they then to be called "stupid" cause they didn't have time to thoroughly research, for example:, the TRUTH or FICTION relating to the pump price of our fuel somewhere in between working for an income, raising a family, surviving day to day????? NO!!! The American public is NOT STUPID,.......but they are being USED!!!

Steve
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
hamguy:

That final statement ("Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.") is kinda cute, and I've seen it in a number of places, BUT,...it's WRONG, and OFFENSIVE!!!

[snip]

Steve
Well Steve. I find your comments to be offensive also. So are we even?

Bottom line. I believe we, the American public, spend waaaaay too much time being offended. You know, in reality, I have never allowed myself to be offended. It isn't worth the effort.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
hamguy:

I need to explain. Please notice that I refrained from accusing you personally as being "offensive", rather, I tried to refer solely to that tag statement attached to your posts. I certainly don't find you offensive and enjoy as well as learn alot from the posts you contribute.

What I was reacting to, has to do with getting rid of destructive name calling and labeling in our society (whether in jest or not) which impedes, and obstructs, a return to interpersonal respect, consideration, and trust among folks.

The sheer volume of the b.s. we're inundated with every day pulls and tugs people in so many different directions that more and more folks are either polarized into often dramatically advocating for or against some position,.... OR,... they are becoming more and more suspicious of the motives and agendas of others and less and less trusting of anyone in general.

I'm still the kind of guy that trusts my neighbor and my fellow Americans to be straight shooters.

Is the American public stupid? NO! They (WE) simply don't know and/or are finding it harder and harder to know who, or what to trust any longer.

I apologize for "offending" you, .....so....yeah, we're even!!

(what do ya wanna talk about now???.........religion!!!!??)

Hey!....how do I get emoticons (smileys) on this "Quick Reply"???
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
hamguy:

Is the American public stupid? NO! They (WE) simply don't know and/or are finding it harder and harder to know who, or what to trust any longer.

I apologize for "offending" you, .....so....yeah, we're even!!

(what do ya wanna talk about now???.........religion!!!!??)

Hey!....how do I get emoticons (smileys) on this "Quick Reply"???
As I said, I do no allow myself to be 'offended'. But, you should be in my shoes. I am/was a lawyer, and a criminal defense lawyer at that. Try wearing that target for a while.

Oh, yer mommy wears brogans!