Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
"Like a lot of folks in this country, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test, with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do on the other hand have a problem with helping someone sitting on their butt and using drugs. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
"Like a lot of folks in this country, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test, with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do on the other hand have a problem with helping someone sitting on their butt and using drugs. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

This is a very interesting concept. Who is going to administer the urine test let alone pay for it?

It has often interested me, standing in line in the grocery store and see someone buy the best steak in the store and pay with food stamps while I am buying ground chuck. I know there is no restrictions on their purchase but couldn't that $10 spent on that steak go further else where?

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A very good point. Why do we not require a "Whiz-Quiz" for folks to draw any government assistance?

Also, there should be certain foods that are not available for purchase with food stamps. You can make a few $$$ worth of food stamps feed a lot more people with lesser cuts of meat, beans and rice. My wife has often said that before the state hands out the food stamps, they should require the people to sit through a class on shopping to save money.

Something is wrong with the system and it needs fixing...but where do you start? Whoops, my soap box is getting sort of tall.

Ken
Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #5

i wholeheartly agree with the drug testing. just think of the added cost of drug use. in my oponion if you are on welfare you should be drug tested and if found dirty be booted off of welfare for at least three years. i would bet this would help in the welfare problem plus think it would reduce number of clients which would enable a little more money to people who are really trying to improve their life.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Everyone in the United States should be drug tested. Sort 'em all out in to two piles.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Everyone in the United States should be drug tested. Sort 'em all out in to two piles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
jfb

Never thought of it that way. The left strikes again!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #9

How did we get this way? It seems it is easier to be on welfare than work, less restrictions.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #10

We spend the last month touring Europe. We spend 6 nights in Amsterdam. Traveling in Europe certainly gives you a much different perspective.

I'm surprised that this topic was allowed under the new rules but since it has I'll post an opinion. First off I view drug testing as another intrusion into our private lives promoted by the conservatives. It's a complete waste of time and money. There are many ways to avoid a positive drug test available in retail stores and on line. Employees required to take tests include cocktail waitresses, waitresses, motel maids, and workers at Home Depot. However, it doesn't include air line pilots. Someone care to explain why it's important that the cocktail waitress who serves drugs (alcohol) did not smoke marijuana the night before? Wouldn't it be more important that air line pilots be drug free?

We all use drugs! Yes, that includes you. Why do you drink that cup of coffee in the morning? We take drugs to avoid pain, depression, and over eating, and restless leg syndrome. I know you are thinking that may be true, but I'm only using legal drugs. Don't we need a bench mark or some reason why some drugs are legal and some aren't that isn't about corporate profits or taxes?

Let's look at a couple of popular legal drugs. Tobacco kills 400,000 smokers and 75,000 non smokers every year. Smoking has tremendous public health care costs and increases all of our health insurance premiums. Smokers are far less productive in the work place than non-smokers. How about alcohol? It makes people violent, commit crimes, and more prone to deadly accidents. Again public health care costs that we all pay for are huge.

Contrast that to Marijuana. People who smoke marijuana go to sleep before they get violent. They don't commit crimes and there are no public heath care costs. The effects of smoking it don't last nearly as long as alcohol and you don't need more drugs, aspirin, to recover from its use. It's a drug that keeps many with fatal diseases alive. What kind of logic made it illegal and alcohol and tobacco legal? Shouldn't there be a reason why?

Before we even suggest borrowing Billions on another conservative intrusion into our personal private lives, testing everyone for drugs, shouldn't we first take a hard look at the realty of what we are attempting to accomplish?

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on Lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
AKO

Ahh, come on now Michael, you're just being logical.