RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Taxes on MH purchase

So hello, I have a question, in November of 2019 I left California to buy a used Mh in Az. When I bought it I was charged a rather substantial tax which I must say I kinda figured would be part of the deal ( I bought it off a dealers lot, it was a consignment sale). However when I got to my home in the "golden state" the DMV was quick to take there pound of flesh... I mean it was substantial!
My question is this considered normal when buying out of state? I would have bought in state if there were comparable deals here, however these ... Ummmm these people here want BIG dollars for a lot less. I kinda thought there may have been a modest amount to pay but this DMV acted like I bought it here... OUCH!!!

rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #2

Taxes on MH purchase

I read your issue and found it intriguing. I know some states can and do regulate sales tax on certain out of state purchases like automobiles. Decided to Google it.

I found this possibly interesting:

https://www.autolist.com/guides/buy-...tate-sales-tax

see “ Special Circumstances” and “how much should I pay” above that.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

I can't speak for AZ or CA but it would be 6% tax in Michigan. If I bought out of state, that seller (if not a private seller) would collect Michigan's tax or provide the paperwork for me to take to my Michigan DMV where I would then pay the 6% sales tax when I went to register the purchase with my home state. Either way, I'm only going to pay 6% tax in one state (Michigan) plus any fees for title transfer and plates.

CA should not have charged you sales tax if AZ already collected it. An AZ dealer could charge for a temp plate (I've paid that when I purchased a TN car from a dealer to drive it home to MI). I think someone owes you money.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

From what I read on reciprocity for AZ and CA, CA still wants their sales tax on the purchase making me wonder if you should get a credit for AZ tax paid, if any.

Any one know about this reciprocity????
Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #5

I believe that Arizona is one of the only states that collects sales tax on sales within their state regardless of the new owner’s state of residence. I have seen sales that were made in Arizona but the coach was delivered to Nevada to avoid the double tax of Arizona and your actual state of residency. Most, but not all, states will give you a credit in your home state for sales tax paid in another state on a vehicle purchase.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

I purchased a MH in NY, as a resident of FL.

The dealer added FL sales tax to the total price, minus the trade in, and at closing the deal, handed me a check made out to the FL Tax Collector. I didn't pay any NY sales tax.

I mailed the check, along with a tag transfer fee, to the FL. Tax Collector and they mailed a registration to my FL. address. I picked that up 2 months later.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

It all depends on the states in question, and if they have reciprocal sales tax agreements.

I live in Louisiana and bought my coach from a private party in Florida. Louisiana and Florida have a reciprocal sales tax agreement, where if bought from a dealer in Florida, one pays Florida sales tax, and Louisiana would give credit for the tax, if the Louisiana sales / use tax is higher one pays the difference.

At the time Florida had reciprocal agreements between most regional states, though they did not have one with North Carolina, so if someone from North Carolina were to buy an RV in Florida at the time, then they would owe sales tax twice. (I have read that they have since been included in the reciprocal tax agreement)

ps similarly my wife has bought her last 2 days across the state line in Texas, and the Texas dealers collected Louisiana sales tax as we were out of state buyers, which is a slightly different arrangement.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

Sounds like part of the investigative process BEFORE purchasing an RV.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I believe that Arizona is one of the only states that collects sales tax on sales within their state regardless of the new owner’s state of residence. I have seen sales that were made in Arizona but the coach was delivered to Nevada to avoid the double tax of Arizona and your actual state of residency. Most, but not all, states will give you a credit in your home state for sales tax paid in another state on a vehicle purchase.
Why do you say "Double Tax"....if you pay the tax when purchased in AZ why would you pay again when registering in your home state??
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
From what I read on reciprocity for AZ and CA, CA still wants their sales tax on the purchase making me wonder if you should get a credit for AZ tax paid, if any.

Does anyone know about this reciprocity????
Doesn't work like that.....I live in AZ and used to live in CA. You simply leave it registered in AZ for the 1st year and then register in CA....no tax due.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Doesn't work like that.....I live in AZ and used to live in CA. You simply leave it registered in AZ for the 1st year and then register in CA....no tax due.

Sounds like a good loophole that works.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my first toad in Yuma and brought it back to California.

California gave me credit for the sales tax I paid in Arizona and then I paid the balance of the remaining sales tax to California.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #13

I bought in Alabama (ordered new Tiffin) and picked it up in December. There were no taxes charged. They gave me an envelope labeled DMV, it had the certificates of origin, the sales receipt, and a few other pieces of paper. I went to my DMV in Georgia, took about 30 minutes to process, wrote a check for 7% of the sales price, and walked out with my license tag and registration. It is state to state dependent. Another dealer (Tennessee) said since I was financing that I had to pay the taxes so the lender knew the taxes were paid.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
Sounds like a good loophole that works.
Alternately there is a "Loophole" in the CA Sales/Use Tax regs that allows residents to register vehicles (Cars, RV, Boat, Airplanes, etc..) without the resultant "Use Tax" if the item was consistently operated outside of the state of CA for more than 6 Mos (I think could be 12 months now).....used to be 90 days and I purchased multiple vehicles out of state when living there up until 2010

Tags
purchase