Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 AM   #43
Senior Member
rhoevinbt's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Redford, MI
Posts: 100
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:

KK, but why should we give up on the "bad 10%". This 10 % is dragging down the whole system.

Would you want one of these kids taught by the bad 10% designing the airplane that you fly on...I would not. And why should the other 90% carry this bad 10%.

The point is that the education system is dumbing-down America and it hurts. The U.S. is lagging behind the rest off the world in the number of engineers and scientist.

From what I have seen since the time I graduated from high school and college, the students are not being challenged as much as they should be. They are getting by too easily and it is the fault of the system. Too much pressure is being put on teachers to teach to the test so that the numbers look good and the lowest students are passed and forget about challenging the brighter students.

So it boils down to the majority of the people are accepting this method of teaching. When it comes to education, I don't see how we can accept mediocrity if this country is to excel.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But I think we've got a "catch 22" here. We can't give up on the lower 10%, especially with NCLB (thanks George!). But why do we have to spend 90% of our time dealing with the 10% who don't want to be there? We have to teach to the middle of the road. The higher achievers should be able to get supplemental stuff to motivate them, but on their own. We have to give the unmotivated every opportunity to succeed (even when they don't want to!). As for the lower 10% working on designs for airplanes etc, don't worry..these are some of the kids who even refuse to work for the fast food joints.

Remember way back when...kids used to be tracked and then some official said that tracking is wrong...it labels the kids. Well we need to return to a form of tracking. Let's put the college bound kids together, let's put the vocational kids together, and let's just put the unmotivated in jail now and save everyone the hassle! (just kidding....maybe?

Kevin in Redford, MI

2006 Pilgrim SE 273-5

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #44
Senior Member
chasfm11's Avatar
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DFW Area, TX
Posts: 2,027
Ken, I agree with what you've said and with you, too, Sandra.

A couple of more points need to be made, however:
1. I do not agree that our school systems any longer produce the quality education that builds great institutions. While the schools themselves are not the sole reason for this, they are a significant part of the problem.
2. Many schools, including the highly rated one that our kids went to (and our "baby" is 26 so this isn't just a recent problem) DON'T WANT parent involvement. Being teachers ourselves, we would always take the teacher's side of any disagreement first. I scheduled meetings with teachers and more often than not, they didn't show up. One wasn't even in the building during her open period, set aside for counseling students with special needs. An escalation to the principal yielded no results. Our daughter's complaint with that teacher was that she was never available (and this was AP Chemistry and a student who was in the top 5% of her class.) I could go on for hours - I have dozen's more stories just like this one. This is NOT the way to have quality education and the problem isn't 10% of the teachers and administrators.

We have to stop living in the past. I agree completely that the other nations are producing better educated populations than we are and we need to deal with that problem, sooner rather than later.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #45
Senior Member
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,939
The child reaps the results of a parent/teacher confrontation. Bet on it.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
TXiceman's Avatar

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,169
Blog Entries: 21
The schools that we helped had principals that wanted and ask for parent help in all aspects of the school.

Yes, we need to teach at the level of the normal student, but have a challenge for the more gifted students to keep their interest. Problem is the system wants to dumb-down the teaching to the point that the bottom students can pass and now you have to challenge both the average student as well as the gifted ones.

When I was in high school (1965 graduate), we had a couple of tracks we could follow. One was for college bound students and it included more math and science. The other track was more for the student that was not going to college.

My wife was a secondary Spanish and French teacher. She was really put out with the education courses she had to take in college. She felt like about 25% of the material was useful and the other 75% was pretty much usless. Even in the 70's she was seeing the reduction in teaching time and increase in administrative duties and control of how the class was taught. She finally quiet teaching due to all of the problems (biggest was no control of the class room) and not paid enough for the hours required. To properly do her job, she had to do too much at home on her time and then so many of the students did not care.

We just need to get control of the classrooms back to the teachers and let them teach and stop being administrators.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #47
Rainbow's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 92
This could go on forever. Lots of war stories about education. But its not just education. Its a symptom of at least two generations in the US of living in what I call the NO RESPONSIBILITY SOCIETY. How long has it been since you've heard anyone say, It was my fault. No one is responsible. The student isn't responsible, its the teacher's fault. The teacher's not responsible its the parent's fault. The parent's not responsible. Its the Superindent's fault. Its not the Supers faultIts the governments fault. And everyone knows the government is never at fault. The same thing is true in business, government and society in general. Unless we adopt a societal change where responsibility is instilled, begining with parents to children, we're going to continue to have big problems in this country.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #48
Senior Member
rhoevinbt's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Redford, MI
Posts: 100
This is all too timely.....

I saw a cartoon in the Detroit News this week that reads:

My 5 year old home schooled child can read this bumper sticker!


2006 Pilgrim SE 273-5

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why we love America Kablewizard Military / Veteran RVing 5 05-16-2007 02:00 PM
ITS OUR AMERICA! apackof2 Just Conversation 19 05-04-2007 11:14 AM
teaching her to drive gordon23 MH-General Discussions & Problems 26 11-21-2006 07:55 AM
The New Math "Is" RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 1 03-25-2006 03:37 PM
Question for the math majors al koffman iRV2.com General Discussion 3 12-11-2005 03:39 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.