Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Technology sure has changed

Stuff of 1991 now on your iPhone.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

Camping with our son last summer, the rare time he came with us, he whipped out his iphone and used it to level our TT. Who woulda thought? A phone to level your trailer....

Makes you wonder what technology will be like in another couple of decades. Still have my sliderule from the 70s.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also use my phone for that purpose, or the iPad as the screen is bigger. There are many APPS for the smartphones.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Yes. I've been using "Bubble" for more than a year. Also use a TV signal finder app and severe weather warning app while traveling.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

While it's not a radar detector, the Waze GPS app on my phone warns me of police ahead . . . as well as traffic jams, accidents, objects on road, broken down vehicles on the shoulder and red light cameras.

Couple that with navigation, live re-routing and the ability to see friends on the map if we choose and gas station location with pricing, it's a win - win!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He missed an app or two.. My Android also has a bubble level in it, and a compass, and a Scanner (Ok so it's VoIP and someone else owns a genuine receiver it monitors) and music players (it does not play CD's though I suspect it might if I plugged in a CD drive) and recorder and camera and host of other things.

One of the items on the page was a CB.. It does not do CB. but it does do HAM radio.

It has a star map in it.

It has multiple stereo radios.

It has a speedometer, GPS, maps, Flashlight (NOT just the screen it's an LED flashlight) Clock, timer, and much much more.

Of course it can do just about everything this computer does.

Heck, It even has ... A FIREPLACE

(But then so does this computer).
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm waiting for the "chauffeur app" so I can not wigg out over the idiots that pull out in front of me & can just sit back with my glass of wine & enjoy the drive.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'm waiting for the "chauffeur app" so I can not wigg out over the idiots that pull out in front of me & can just sit back with my glass of wine & enjoy the drive.

Lori-
Now if those people had a "chauffeur app" or a "can not talk on phone or text app and must actually pay attention and actually learn the rules of the road app" you wouldn't need that "chauffeur app" as much would you? Oh wait you would. There's that box behind you that has so many interesting diversions.

Technology of vehicles have changed a lot too, my first car that was my use was an 1989 it made 140 bhp out of its V8, my first car that I owned was a well-used 1993 that made about that same hp out of its V6. It had 3 remote control volumes located on the dash beside the instrument cluster. My car now has a touch screen, voice controls (including climate, nav, radio), satellite radio, CD & DVD not cassette, two television monitors in its headrests, 11 or 12 speakers I forget which, steering wheel controls for its multi-function trip computer, radar cruise control and stereo. It tells me if someone is coming from the right or left when I back up, has guide lines on its display to show me what path I'm backing up into, beeps if I'm about to run over a skateboard or bike, tells me if something is in my blind spot, moves the seat forward when I get in, power tilt/telescopic wheel, power lumbar, three zone climate control, power passenger seat, heated seats not just in the front but second row, airbags in its seatbelts, a compressor for its fridge, does a courtesy wipe when it's not winter after I clean the windshield, blinks three times for a lane change when I flick the stalk, can change its interior light colour when I feel the mood, has 4 sunroof panels (only the front opens though), automatic transmission has flappy paddles, has twin turbos, I think about 350ish hp and 365lb ft of torque, can open it's own tailgate, can be started from inside, can flip the rear seat to tailgate mode/cargo mode/people mode) with a touch of a button can parallel park itself (well you need to press a button, shift into R, shift into D) and probably a few other things I don't know it does.

The hilarious thing is our snob brand vehicle from just 7 model years ago doesn't do half that stuff. Now that one being a non-luxury brand doesn't have a heated steering wheel only has 1 sun visor per side and makes do with just "Sony" speakers but in 1991 if I told you my car could do that would you believe it. Only a matter of time before non Caddys/BMW/MBs have night vision or you can get roller arm massage seats a la Lexus LS in a golf cart.

Think also about tech at home, your washing machine can now tell your phone its done, in Japan you can start your rice cooker from your phone and complete your ATM transaction via phone while in line just going to the ATM to put in the deposit and collect the yen....