Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #1

Once upon a time the Sunday papers included a separate television guide that people kept all week, until the following Sunday's paper came out.

It showed the entire and complete listings of all the local and cable channels in my viewing area and their line-up for the coming week.

Then the paper started printing only the "Daytime" schedule ( 0600 to 2400 hrs)

And now only the "Evening" schedule is printed.. ( 1800 to 2400 hrs)

So I went to the grocery store to buy a "TV GUIDE" ... you know, the little book that list the 24 HOUR line-up of ALL the channels in my viewing area..

Well, guess what..... there is no such thing anymore ! !

Today's "TV GUIDE" is nothing but a thin "MAGAZINE" with 99% of it's content being advertisements and "behind the scenes" crap.... and it only shows the "Evening" line-up..

Needless to say, I no longer buy any newspaper or the TV Guide...

I have gotten used to "Channel Flipping" and therefore if TV Guide ever did decide to go back into business or the newspapers decided to once again print the whole and complete TV guide section, I doubt I would buy it anyway...

Those two entities have trained me to not rely on them for television information, so I don't..

Now where did I put that remote control .....hmmmnnnnnnn.... wonder if its too early for a beer ....... nahhhh.

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #2

Once upon a time the Sunday papers included a separate television guide that people kept all week, until the following Sunday's paper came out.

It showed the entire and complete listings of all the local and cable channels in my viewing area and their line-up for the coming week.

Then the paper started printing only the "Daytime" schedule ( 0600 to 2400 hrs)

And now only the "Evening" schedule is printed.. ( 1800 to 2400 hrs)

So I went to the grocery store to buy a "TV GUIDE" ... you know, the little book that list the 24 HOUR line-up of ALL the channels in my viewing area..

Well, guess what..... there is no such thing anymore ! !

Today's "TV GUIDE" is nothing but a thin "MAGAZINE" with 99% of it's content being advertisements and "behind the scenes" crap.... and it only shows the "Evening" line-up..

Needless to say, I no longer buy any newspaper or the TV Guide...

I have gotten used to "Channel Flipping" and therefore if TV Guide ever did decide to go back into business or the newspapers decided to once again print the whole and complete TV guide section, I doubt I would buy it anyway...

Those two entities have trained me to not rely on them for television information, so I don't..

Now where did I put that remote control .....hmmmnnnnnnn.... wonder if its too early for a beer ....... nahhhh.

John
Old 08-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #3

John,
Did you ever happen to check the saturday paper?
Our local paper has a separate booklet with tv listings for thwek included on Sat.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #4

Hi Milt,

Our Saturday paper is more like a Monday or Tuesday paper.... about 6 or 8 pages of nothing..

Wednesday and Sunday are the only days that the newspaper is thick enough to even drain the bacon on.. if you know what I mean...

but thanks for the idea,
John
Old 08-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Ummm-maybe its a "regional thing",we travel right much,but just the eastern states so far and in all the Sunday newspapers we have bought there has been a tv section in it. Speaking of Sunday papers though,have you looked at the Sunday "comics" lately? Nothing there really for the kids,some are even rather suggestive and have seen some discuss birth control and other topics that are definitely not for the kids!

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #6

John, you know you live so far back in the boonies that they have to pipe in sunshine.
What makes you think that the carrier pidgeon can carry yer paper AND a TV giude?
Chet
Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #7

John,
The Sacramento Bee includes a weekly TV guide book in the Sunday addition, plus they list TV programs in the daily paper, as well.

We live in the boonies about 3-1/2 hours north of Sacto, but because we subscribe to DISH network and the Sacto stations, the Bee TV guide works for us.

I have seen TV Guide on the newstand at the grocery store. Are you sure about the availability of TV Guide in the Carson City/Reno area?

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Courier in Prescott AZ has the TV Schedule for the week in the Friday edition.

Glenn
Old 08-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #9

You got that right Dianne, where is "Dog Patch USA" and the "Captain and kids" when America really needs them ?

Out here is Nevada we use buzzards instead of pigeons Chet.. They are so much larger and stronger that we just strap a basket to their back for the mail and newspaper and an bucket for the sunshine under the belly..

Honest... really, would I lie to you ???

John
Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #10

Hi Paul,

Yes the "TV Guide" is in the local stores... except it's not really a TV Guide any more, its just another magazine.. its 90% ads and other useless stuff.

The actual television "Guide" part of it shows only the EVENING line-up..

There is no 24 hour line-up so that a person can plan his television watching for the rest of the day, like the mornings or after midnight when he can't sleep..

If you remember the old TV Guide, it was a small book that showed all channels and all hours for a full week..

I guess it is a thing of the past now..

John
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Until recently I subscribed to TVGuide.Yes,they did change it to more of a magazine format,but they do still list the day and night tv programs.The day time weekly shows are just listed once,as they don't vary a whole lot(other than guest),then in a different part of the "magazine" they have the evening shows for the whole week,beginning at 6 pm I believe,with more details of what the show is about and/or who the guest are. Things are a changing so they thought they needed to also-change isn't always a good thing though!

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote