Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
We like Aldi's for food. Limited selection, but good prices.

powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I shop different places, and I do shop at walmart and yes, I really hate it that they are forcing us to buy GreatValue items unless we want to go to different stores. However, I read an article recently that they will be returning the name brand products in order to 'gain back' some of the profits they have lost due to stocking Great Value only items.
Just an FYI, Walmart is not the only place that sells items brought from overseas, some of it we just do not know about it unless you have a family member, or a friend, or even yourself if you are still a driver, that delivers the products to the warehouses. My brother used to drive for a company that only delivers trailers that come off the boat at a port in Florida, his return load goes back to the boat. He has made several deliveries to a name brand warehouse in Texas that had a whole trailer load of their name brand pharmaceuticals. Have you looked at your toothpaste label lately, or your box of aspirin and a few things that we do not know about.. some of the labels will say, made in USA , packaged in ??? (china, etc)

Me & Slowpoke, USMC [1993 Gulfstream Sunvoyager M8345, F53 Chassis ]

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like Napa for auto parts/ Tractor supply too, Sears & K-mart included, not to found of Wally's but will go there. I do enjoy garage sales be suprise what you find and since I do alot of volunteer work at St. Vincent De Paul, i bought some items there also.
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Sounds kike some of this may be Walmart bashing. I don't shop exclusively there but most of the Great Value items I buy contain the same ingredients as the name brand items. I used to work for a shoe manufacturer. Our product was the same , but at the end of the line we had ten different company (name brand ) lables to place inside the shoes. There are a lot of items like that. Same product, differnt company lables. If you doubt this, compare the items. I always comparison shop and buy the brand with the same ingredients (same amonts) with the best deal regardless of brand.
2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We shop several stores.. Yes. .Wall-mart,, However ALDI is a store that often beats the price tags off Wall-mart, Kroger does well too (At least here in Michigan) And several other stores in other states.

IN SC where we wintered last year no Kroger's that we found (Though I need to look at the partner stores) but there was an ALDI
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Let's see:

Home Depot
WinCo Foods
Powells Books
JC Penny (Via the catalog, which appears to be going away, so soon close to not at all)
Albertons/Jewel Osco
Safeway/Its other 9 names
Knecht's Auto Parts
Autozone Auto Parts
Napa Auto Parts
Schucks (Not really much anymore, they kinda when to seed when O'Riley bought them and turned them into Cheap Junk Central)
Random Mom & Pop Shops
Fred Meyer/Krogers (For Gasoline only)
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
Unfortunately, the best produce in our city is at the WalMart. I usually drive 45 minutes to the nearest city for groceries and their Farmers Market. But if I'm desperate, I'll go to the WalMart. I HATE that they have run out the smaller, privately owned stores and buy cheapo stuff from China. I'm trying to buy American, not use plastic, recycle, etc.
OldGrayMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kroger. They give seniors a 10% discount on Kroger products with the shopper's card as well as double and triple coupons.
Best of all, they frequently have Blue Bell Ice Cream on sale for $3.99 per half gallon.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
Higher Price Smaller Volume

Has anyone noticed most ice cream containers that look like a half gallon now are only 3 pints but the price is higher? I would a lot rather the price go up and keep the size the same. Instead they lower the quantity in the package and raise the price hoping you won't notice and a lot of folks do not. They are thieves in the night.

rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Not to BASH W/M but: Today a half gallon of a well known brand of MILK was $6.46- Same milk at the local chain grocery store was $4.59. I got the difference back when I showed them the Chain's receipt.
Safe travels...
JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #25
Texas Boomers Club
It Was Supposed to be Funny

Although I really did want to know how and where the RV crowd shopped I was trying to be funny when I wrote the Walmart part. Can't win them all, I guess.

I'm always surprised to see folks say Walmart runs out the mom and pop businesses. Perhaps I have just not been in a place where that has happened. What I have experienced is an entire strip mall having difficulty staying alive when Walmart moved OUT. We have also seen people wanting to locate their business near Walmart to use it just like malls use major department stores as anchors. The same principle applies. While I might not make a trip to town to purchase a scrap book page, I will dash into the scrap book store next to Walmart before or after my grocery run.

Also, one must ask oneself, "Was Sam Wall once a mom and pop shop owner?" I don't know all the ins and outs of how he was able to turn what was essentially a dime store into a roaringly successful enterprise. But, I say more power to him and to those others who through perseverance, hard work, good luck, or whatever else it takes build business from nothing to SOMETHING.

I also wonder what would happen to the thousands of Walmart employees, vendors and suppliers if some folks were able to get their fondest wish and Walmart suddenly disappeared. While many of us prefer to own our own business (with all the headaches that entails) there are others who wish to put in their 40 and receive a steady paycheck. I'm glad Walmart and others are their to supply those jobs.

There are a lot of things I refuse to purchase at Walmart mostly based on quality issues. We find their meat and produce to be of an inferior quality to what we can purchase at other places nearby. But their books, magazines, movies and the like are less expensive than their counterparts. What I give up in those departments is selection. No matter, I can pop into the bookstore located across the parking lot from Walmart and get the latest and greatest.

Do I think Walmart can do some things better? Of course I do.

I, like everyone else can run other folks' businesses much better than they can. Right?
In the Heart of Arizona
Proud Nana
BacktoRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For whatever reason, Wal-mart is one of those topics that seem to elict a lot of comments whenever it is mentioned. Somehow, the chain has become the whipping boy for some of the ills of our time.

We are heavy Wal-Mart shoppers, expecially on the road. That is mostly because we rarely need just food when we stop. Many of the combined stores (i.e. Target) are hit or miss on what they carry. Like McDonalds, Wal-Mart isn't always good but is mostly predictable.

The Wal-Mart of today is NOT the same store as it was 2 years ago, before the economic crises began. Wal-Mart was always price competitive then and today they only sometimes are. Here's an example. I carry a small digitial voice recorder to aid my failing memory. My old one died so I went shopping for a new one. Wal-Mart, for the exact same product, was $10 higher than a local Staples. I've found the same thing to be true for items that both Home Depot and Wal-Mart carry - Wal-Mart is often higher and maybe significantly higher.

As for our general shopping, I generally prefer to use smaller local merchants. When we travel, if we can, we try to find a small, independent grociery store. We find it interesting to see the different types of foods that they sell. One we found in Bismark, ND, for example, had many different things that we could buy at home. There was another one in Sundance, WY. If we are enroute somewhere, we generally don't have that kind of time and will try to find the next Wal-Mart.

I admit to being an Internet shopper. The UPS truck is a frequent visitor to our house because many parts that I need for the RV and other projects are just not available locally any more. Amazon gets a lot of my business because they have yet to fail me in hundreds of orders.

I keep far too many computer records. I can produce a report that shows a pie graph of our purchases by payee for the year. Wal-Mart is the big winner a 9.6%. The next was Home Depot at 7.3%. The latter is a combination of RV parts and a bathroom remodel that we did this year.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers

If you enjoy quality foods you should try Fresh Market. You may not have them in west tho, here is a link.

The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!

2011 Tiffin Allegro34TGA
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
... Somehow, the chain has become the whipping boy for some of the ills of our time...

...Wal-Mart isn't always good but is mostly predictable...
Wal-Mart has not run anyone out of business. The CUSTOMERS have. I have lived in many small towns that were large enough to have a Wal-mart. I feel about the Mom-& Pops like I do about the campgrounds. Stop bitching about Wal-Mart! FIX your business, listen to your customers and you won't "loose" them to Wal-Mart. I fell like kicking some of the places that complain about Wal-Mart, yet they are never open.. They keep "Bankers" hours. Hey, I'm working during those hours! How about opening a few hours later and closing a few hours later! Reminds me of the downtown restaurant owners in Franklin who were complaining about the food vendors "stealing" their customers. It started with them complaining about the "out of state food vendors" that set up at a Tax Day Tea Party Protest (We were the only food vendors there and we were the only food vendors licensed in that county with out-of-state plates on our vehicles)... 800+ people and all they wanted to do was listen to the speakers... we sold out, restocked and sold out again in 4 hours time... and PO'ed a crappy sandwich shop that was right on the square (he had bought a couple 1 lb pkgs of cheapest hot dogs he could find in the store to sell... small town, we heard all about it). Soon took in all the food vendors who showed up for a Saturday night singing & dancing on the square. Now this little event had been going on for 17 years. Until 2008, the downtown restaurants would not stay open late for the folks attending. So a couple of the LOCAL restaurant owners bought food carts and set up. In 2008 ONE, ONLY ONE restaurant started staying open. Well business was so bad the summer of 2008, that the other restaurants decided to stay open for the Saturday night event for the summer of 2009. Now they have made it to where the 2 local restaurants who had invested in expensive food carts and passed yearly inspections are saying they will stop. So the LOCAL businesses did this to other LOCAL businesses... we never did the Saturday night deal! The local restaurants could have been open all those years and yet they weren't. They didn't have anyone to blame for loss of revenue except THEMSELVES!!!!

Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote

rv lifestyle