Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Smile Tennessee Domicile - But what City?

Hey Folks,

We are looking to make TN our domicile when we full-time. My question is what is your opinion regarding which City? Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga? Yes, I know it doesn't matter when you full-time; however, we would like to establish our medical, dental, vision doctors in one area so we have consistency.

Any opinions from living in any or all of these cities and their proximity to campgrounds or RV service facilities is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't answer directly but I do have 2 cousins who live in the Knoxville area and they both love it. They say the medical care is very good. We stayed in Pigeon Forge in the MH when we were in TN last summer.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

We live in Cannon county which is rural and about 60 miles SE of Nashville. There is no emission testing in Cannon County, but I know for sure that there is in Nashville, Rutherford and Williamson and probably the other surrounding counties. I don't know about Knoxville and Chattanooga. Also, each county sets its own charge for vehicle registration, so you might find some differences there.

The cost is not much, but the hassle of getting it done is a pain and you have to do it every year. Nashville and Knoxville both have good medical services. Knoxville is closer to the Smokies. There are places to camp around all three cities. Chattanooga is smaller, but just as scenic. I don't know much about medical options in Chattanooga, but it is a beautiful city.

We have been hanging out in East Tennessee at various COA and National parks most of the summer and really like this part of the country. DH and I both worked in Nashville for too many years to recount. The traffic is horrible. You don't want to be there during rush hour ever...in any kind of vehicle. :-)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

I just moved from Chattanooga after living there a couple years.

There are some top rated hospitals there.
Plenty to do if you like tourist attractions.
The people there are amazingly friendly and helpful.
The area is beautiful.
The downtown area has a lot of gang-related violence, but it is pretty contained to one area, which happened to be the area we worked in. Other than that, it is a busy town, lots of activities, concerts, festivals.

As far as campgrounds go.....

There is a KOA in Trenton, Georgia, that is about ten minutes from Lookout Mountain, super close to everything in Chattanooga. Its a beautiful park, shade, trees, a lovely salt water pool, and the owners are fabulous. We full timed there for months and loved it, wish we could go back. Actually, one of my dogs is buried there. :-(

Now, there is another KOA in Ringgold. Avoid it at all costs. Trust me.

Raccoon Mountain is very crowded, the sites are very narrow.

There is another Good Sam park that gets great ratings, heard the people are super nice. It was just too crowded for my tastes.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
Hey Folks,

We are looking to make TN our domicile when we full-time. My question is what is your opinion regarding which City? Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga? Yes, I know it doesn't matter when you full-time; however, we would like to establish our medical, dental, vision doctors in one area so we have consistency.

Any opinions from living in any or all of these cities and their proximity to campgrounds or RV service facilities is appreciated.
Knoxville has the least amount of rain, this would be my choice for sure. Been to all three citys and they all have their own rights, But Knoxville hands down for sure. As a matter of fact, when we moved down here 5 years ago it was going to be Knoxville. But things worked out in our favor to come here instead. Good Luck on your new adventures!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jake62,
Knoxville is the place to be for medical care. They have an excellent hospital and UT is there supplying the latest in medical care. I half time in the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area. That area also has excellent medical capabilities. Stroke, heart surgery (Knoxville), eye problems or the usual illnesses I have transferred all my medical physicians to the Sevierville area.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Thanks All,

We have to go down to Tuscaloosa to my daughter's graduation from Grad school at Bama next Spring so we have to go right thru Knoxville and Chattanooga (We're in DC right now) so maybe we'll spend a few extra days traveling this corridor, as well as heading up to Nashville.