Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

I'm not terribly fond of Maker's, but I do like Woodford Reserve. Bulliet or Buffalo Trace are my go-tos for mixing. I love Booker's on the rocks, but not as a mixer. Blanton's and Basil Hayden are lovely sipping' whiskeys. I can recommend Four Roses small batch, and Rowan's Creek, and Breaking and Entering as good all purpose whiskeys. And I recently go to sample a small craft whisky called Breakers that I really enjoyed, but I have not yet been able to get my hands on a whole bottle yet to properly explore.

My appreciation of Bourbon is something I've only acquired in the last couple of years, I'm a single malt girl at heart. But that is a whole 'nother thread.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #16

New Horizons Owners Club
We haven't notice anyone mention Gentleman Jack. We were told it is the only bourbon whiskey charcoal filtered twice. It is smooth sipping whiskey. DW and I enjoy a snort from time to time.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
Wow! They must like you a whole lot! The distillery that made that whisky went out of business in the late 80s. They used pot stills to make their whisky, a more labor intensive method of distilling not much in use anymore. The 16 year Reserve is very highly rated (and very pricey). This is seriously good sipping' whisky. You might add a drop or two of water to open up the flavors when you drink it, I wouldn't drink it over ice. Of course, YMMV.

Enjoy your whisky,

Mrs. M
Thank you for the info. I went out and searched on the stuff and yes it is "special" Could sell it and buy a whole lot of diesel!! We'll start carrying a bottle in the RV, and should our paths cross out on the road, we'll crack the seal and give it a try!!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Bad Tasting Whisky is IMHO Crown Royal Maple. It tastes like pure pancake syrup. might go good on pancakes but would not try it.........
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
My least favorite of the major whiskeys is Jameson's. Tastes sharp and bitter. No problem with Irish whiskeys though as I really like Tullamore Dew.

My favorites? Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Knob Creek, especially the Single Barrel Reserve (120 proof).
Old 11-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A few comments...
- Crown is Canadian whiskey, not bourbon.
- Jameson is Irish whiskey, not bourbon.

IMHO, some really good bourbon...Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and Gentleman Jack. All should be sipped and not wasted as mixers.

A good every day bourbon, Evan Williams.

Is it 5 o'clock yet??
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320
A few comments...

IMHO, some really good bourbon...Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and Gentleman Jack. All should be sipped and not wasted as mixers.

Is it 5 o'clock yet??
I agree with all except mixing. Top shelf cocktails - whiskey sours, manhattans, old fashioneds, mint juleps, whiskey and ginger ale - coke - whatever - all taste better when quality is up. Just don't use cheap sour mixes or tap water - go for fresh squeezed fruits and, bottled water etc. P F Chang's recipe for the Twisted Whiskey Sour is one of my favorites - they use Woodford. There are times for sippin and times for cocktails. There is no time for cheap booze. It's like going to a fine restaurant and being served canned vegetables. The only reason to drink lesser quality bourbon when mixing drinks is money. Whether it's a margarita or a bouton based drink, the quality comes through. JMHO
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #22

I pretty much stay with JD. Haven't ever returned a bottle.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack Daniels is a "friend of mine!"
Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
In the early 80s I played in a band called Ezra Brook. I had no idea what the name meant until the early 90s when a friend from West Virginia brought two bottles of Ezra Brook to me up here in Canada. We drank the first bottle right away. The second one is still in my liqueur cabaret. That's how bad it was.
As far as my present favorite. Forty Creek Double Barrel sipped straight with no ice is it.
Now that I'm home off a road trip, I have looked up Ezra Brooks on the net. The reviews don't look so good. I'm looking at this unopened 20 year old bottle and wondering if I should try it again or keep sitting on it till I hook up with some old band mates so we can all suffer together. If anyone has tried it I would be interested in hearing your comments. It says 90 proof sour mash Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey on the bottle.
The Forty Creek I mentioned is actually premium barrel select. Having a sip as I type.
Cheers
Dave
Old 11-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A few comments...

Is it 5 o'clock yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
I consider myself a bit of a whisky connoisseur. I enjoy good bourbon, and bourbon-style American whisky, both for mixing cocktails, and sippin' whisky. As such, I check in on a few of the various whisky forums, and read reviews and recommendations. I enjoy exploring the different whiskies out there, from small craft distilleries to large corporate brands.

I've been lucky; I haven't loved every whisky I've tried, but the even ones I've liked the least have been acceptable as mixers. Alas, despite it's favorable reviews, I have finally come across an irredeemable whisky: Balcones Baby Blue Corn Whisky from Texas. I find it bland and grassy, with a harsh bite and a truly unpleasant iodine aftertaste. It totally failed as a sipping whisky, so I tried it in a couple of different cocktails. It was still a no-go, the iodine aftertaste was even more prominent. :-P Has anyone else tried this whisky? Maybe I just got a bad batch?

Have any of the other whisky-lovers on the forums come across a bottle of whisky that was too terrible to drink? I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were a cheap grocery store generic whisky, (mind you, I wouldn't buy generic whisky) but this is a high-end craft distillery. But if you have come across some truly terrible whisky, let me know, so I can avoid it :-)

Mrs. M
Mrs.M was asking about Poor Whisky
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydid

Mrs.M was asking about Poor Whisky
In her last post she called out some fine whiskey, and hasn't complained yet. No time for bad whisky. Life is short. There is a bottom row for every liquor in every liquor store. It's there for those who drink such things. I'm sure she isn't looking to buy any bad whiskey - just a conversation starter I suspect. But she can ring in again if we're too far off topic.

Bottom line in booze - ya generally get what ya pay for. I have found that in single malt scotch my budget isn't able to fully test that theory. I can't go much beyond a buck twenty-five a bottle without feeling a little guilty.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydid View Post
Bad Tasting Whisky is IMHO Crown Royal Maple. It tastes like pure pancake syrup. might go good on pancakes but would not try it.........
X2 on Crown Royal Maple. Horrible.
Yes, this thread is about bad whiskey but I am always interested in hearing what others are enjoying.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A few comments...

Is it 5 o'clock yet??

X-2 on everything Cat320