Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Yes, this is a conversation starter But I am genuinely curious to find out what other folks are drinking, too. flaggship1 is correct that you generally get what you pay for, and I do avoid the bottom shelf at the liquor store, but sometimes, like with the Baby Blue, you don't get what you pay for :( And since we are scattered all over, some of you might have access to some really excellent regional brands that I don't, at least not yet.

I do like whisky, and whiskey, in general, but I've never developed a taste for Canadian whiskey. I don't like Jameson's or Bushmill's, I do like Tullamore Dew and Connemara, but my favorite Irish is Red Breast. If you want to get really exotic, Yamazaki and Hibiki are excellent single malt whiskies from Japan, and Amrut is also a fine single malt from India. Really

Just the two of us, and Falkor, the 2015 Ford 350 Dually, pulling a 2016 39R12 Vengeance Touring Edition Toy Hauler, with a Can-Am Spyder RT
Mrs.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
My least favorite of the major whiskeys is Jameson's. Tastes sharp and bitter. No problem with Irish whiskeys though as I really like Tullamore Dew.
X2 on Tullamore Dew, much smoother than Jameson's. Being of Irish descent, I consider it pretty good hootch!

Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #31

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is something we did twice, about 15 years apart. The most recent was last May.

Anyone with a "taste" for bourbon will give you different ratings of all of the distillers on this tour, but all of them are top notch!

Hi-dollar bourbon does not always mean the best to some of us. I happen to like a bit of "bite" and a memorable aftertaste that comes from some of the cheaper (although very far from cheap) bourons. At tasting time at each stop, I try the low/middle/high stuff. Low to middle is what usually gets my moolah!

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Wow you all are some serious "Wheeski" drinkers Makes me want to hide my Gobles Beer .....
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Cheap Bourbons Ranked article

I found this to be pretty interesting: article I especially loved the review of #10
Richard Anderson
2002 Beaver Monterey Seacliff, '13 Jeep Wrangler
Retired, fulltimer
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #34
Appalachian Campers
I debated this for a couple of days, so I will tell you this way.
I 'heard' there is/was a fellow on the side of a mountain near Clarkesville, Ga. He has a 2 gallon copper still that he has had for years. It is folded at the seams and silver soldered, he don't want anything that comes from that still pot exposed to lead, even the lead in solder. same with the cap. It is sealed to the still pot with flour and water paste and the pot is cleaned after every run. The worm is a coil of soft copper pipe and it sets in a wooden barrel with spring water to cool it. He used to use a thumper, but since he doesn't run a big still anymore, he can run at a lower temp and it won't 'puke' through the worm and not have to mess with the extra step in the condensing. The lower temp of the fire saves the product getting scorched. "If you got scorched liquor it didn't come from me.'
Hand picks and shells the corn (no worms in that product) He sprouts it and dries it and grinds it in an old sausage mill. Clear, cold water from a spring from between the rocks. He strains the water through a felt hat (some mountain habits are still around after all these years) as he mixes the mash. If he has ever added sugar to the mash I don't know but it could happen. 'I don't want no sugar liquor cause it will give you a pop-skull headache.' For some reason the finishing product is strained through coffee filters. I guess a man has to change with the time. He don't make a lot, maybe a few gallons for friends. You can't buy it cause he don't know what you are talking about when you ask. 'I hear'd that ole man down the road has some but I wouldn't drink that stuff of his. His is a nasty place.' If you have a friend who he has known for years you might be able to come up with a quart fruit jar if they can get it for you. 'Not that I would make anything, I'm too old to go to the federal pen and they will put you there for selling liquor.'
"Rumor" has it that this stuff is so smooth you can drink it like branch water (or crank your truck with it also I bet) I had some of that product one year, at a party around Christmas. Someone wanted to know if I wanted some eggnog with that product in it. Why would I want to mess up something like that by putting eggs in it?
So if you ask he don't know nothing and he 'might' have made a 'little back years ago when things was hard' but just for drinking. That 'selling' liquor ain't fitting to drink and will make you go blind.'
Course all this I have told you has nothing to do with RVing and is probably just a rumor anyhow.
But if you ever canoe the Soque river and it looks like the river is flowing up hill you might be close.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
We haven't notice anyone mention Gentleman Jack. We were told it is the only bourbon whiskey charcoal filtered twice. It is smooth sipping whiskey. DW and I enjoy a snort from time to time.

I also like Gentleman Jack but don't buy it often as it seems to disappear too quickly
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pappy Van Winkle is very good bourbon.
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2004 Jeep Liberty
Gary and Kay & Chipper and Maggie
Formerly owned: 2012 Thor A.C.E. 29.1 & 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
I mostly drink Lemon Hart rum, that isn't available in the US?

As for whiskies, I also think that that most of your "Canadian" whiskies are made in the USA and aren't even close to what we produce in Canada. There are a bunch of "Canadian" whisky brands that I've only ever seen in the USA! Marketing at it's finest?

Burbuon doesn't work for me except for the high end product from Buffalo Trace. It was one of four distilleries that were allowed to produce during the USA prohibition; for medicinal purposes only. We did a tour of their facility in Kentucky one day when I wasn't feeling my best. Great medicine; I was just fine in no time...
Jim & Pam Smith, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
2007 Holiday Rambler 40 SKQ, 2012 Ford Explorer XLT
1966 Contl convert., 2009 Harley, 2000 Bayliner 3258
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, sitting in the recliner, watching college basketball, (Go Indiana University) and enjoying some fine Gentlemen Jack on the rocks. I think I'll have one more, Jack is a friend of mine!
townsendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #39
Tiffin Owners Club
I'll switch back and forth between Woodford Reserve and Double Oaked. Depends on the mood. If you find a bottle of Woodford Reserve Master's Select Four Wood, buy it! and enjoy it.

I just purchased their new pair of Master's Select Double Malt Selection.

May have to open one tonight!
Bill Mahan
2012 Allegro Bus 43 QGP
Oldrtrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
The definition of whiskey that's "just right":

If it was any better he wouldn't have given it to me...

If it was any worse I couldn't drink it!!
Not full-timers (yet)
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster 40B, Cummins ISL 425, Allison MH3000; 2013 Ford C-Max with Air Force One, 4 wheels down; Cricket golf cart stowed inside the C-Max
oldkartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #41
Eagle Rare is my "go to" sipper. I buy Makers Mark when it's on sale. Today I picked up Knob Creek Small Batch aged 9 years 100 proof bourbon. Will sample it shortly.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #42

Okay, back to terrible.

Canadian Mist.

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote