Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #127

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pot roast for ground beef?

No way...it's much more expensive than the ground up dairy cow sold all over the U.S.A. as ground beef. Whatever difference there is in ingredients up here, I'm pretty sure it's not in the cut of beef used, or even the breed.

No portion of a true "beef breed" gets ground up and sold that way anymore, and I'd bet that's true even in Texas. The cuts that used to be used that way have been renamed and sold under fancy new names that don't exist on a butcher's chart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lessons in Tex-Mex and cattle from the PNW. Now that's funny.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
If yer talkin' to me, Flagg, I don't pretend to know anything at all about Tex-Mex, but I do know a considerable lot about meat!

Unless one's buying at a smallbutcher with a meat grinder and a half steer hanging in the locker, that pale pink stuff known as "ground beef" in this fine country of ours is what's left of the dairy cows of America after they've stopped producing.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
If yer talkin' to me, Flagg, I don't pretend to know anything at all about Tex-Mex, but I do know a considerable lot about meat!

Unless one's buying at a smallbutcher with a meat grinder and a half steer hanging in the locker, that pale pink stuff known as "ground beef" in this fine country of ours is what's left of the dairy cows of America after they've stopped producing.
I know what pink slime is and the issue you refer to. Just pulling yer chain - something I have leaned much about from you. . I imagine Wayne was perhaps a little generic in his "choice" of beef terms. Whether it is ground round, ground sirloin, ground chuck, there would be a big difference between the fat and flavor content of those and say ground prime rib or rump roast. Grinding either of the later would be a crime against both Tex-Mex and the cuts of meat. In Texas-Mex it's a traditional ground beef not a crock pot roast shredded into an enchilada or a plump green chile Relleno. .
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
I understand the distinction between shredded and ground. The flavor difference between those two commercially available types is mostly due to the huge difference in animal type.

One can't buy real ground round, chuck, or sirloin anymore unless ground at the point-of-sale of the cut itself, or at home.

Is real TexMex " house ground" beef, and from the cuts you describe?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I understand the distinction between shredded and ground. The flavor difference between those two commercially available types is mostly due to the huge difference in animal type.

One can't buy real ground round, chuck, or sirloin anymore unless ground at the point-of-sale of the cut itself, or at home.

Is real TexMex " house ground" beef, and from the cuts you describe?
Perhaps the USDA can shed some light on the "ground" question, although they apparently still belive it can and should be purchased as prdouced in a USDA-inspected plant. Why is ground beef produced in a USDA-inspected plant safer than beef ground in a store or at home?

Ground Beef and Food Safety

Ground chuck is at every market I go to and at my neighborhood butcher. If it is something other than that and labeled incorrectly, they are all in violation of the law. USDA does say states have enacted various laws of their own concerning ground meat. Perhaps that's why you are being forced to buy the apparently more 'risky" product ground at the pont of sale and the Tex-Mex tastes different. Or it could be like any other food from a foreign land. If you want the real deal you have to go there. Chef Boyardee after all is Italian food.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
Me too. If you can't buy it as you say, what is it that is labeled as such? And, how do they label it ground chuck etc - packaged by USDA - and reportedly the safer way to purchase it?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #135

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hoo boy...

Tell ya what:

If you'd like to argue about meat labeling, food safety, and the USDA, how about starting a stand-alone thread on the subject?

Not that I'm averse to participating in such interminably long arguments, (as anyone that knows me will attest), but since I'm the O.P. here I'd really like to avoid thread self destruction by going down this off-topic road.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #136

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
You also might like Cooper's in Llano.

and Salt Lick in Driftwood (SW of Austin).

but I still prefer Louie Mueller in Taylor (NE of Austin). They have no plates (butcher paper only) and no sauce.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cool - sorry I brought it up. Oh wait. I didn't. Can't recall who brought in the distinctions in dairy cows and so on, but wern't me. Nuff said.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #138

Gulf Streamers Club
Sweet Tea, or Unsweet?

Personally, I do not use sugar in tea or coffee. And no lemon in tea either. As far as making tea, my grandmother put loose tea in a sauce pan with spring water and put on stove to boil. Then let steep till it cooled off some. Then strained that into a small porcelain container that looked like an elephant and the tea concentrate poured out of spout. Everyone at the table got ice water. You made your own tea to taste, strong or weak as you wanted. And sweetened or not as you wanted. But my mother always put in the sugar while the tea was still warm, she just made a pot to be sweetened and another not sweet.

I was going outside to the shop to make some sawdust when I ran across this thread. Blew that idea, and now I am soooo hungry.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell does a pretty good job of puttin meat on a sheet of paper and the sides will do in a pinch. Outdoor cooking - indoor dining. The way it was meant to be.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ok, where? Everything Texan or Mexican much less Tex-Mex I have found in WA really sucks.

What side of the Mountains? Try Pasco

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote