Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok I have been reading most of the morning about registering my 36rlts in Texas
Link to texas dot
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm

I have been told we get an annual inspection, but can find no reference to "Towable recreational vehicle" under the statute of 548.051 Vehicles, Equipment subject to inspection

It does mention a motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, pole trailer, or mobile home
but no recreational trailer or towable

541.201. VEHICLES verse 20
The definition for a "trailer ""Trailer" means a vehicle, other than a pole
trailer, with or without motive power:
(A) Designed to be drawn by a motor vehicle and to
Transport persons or property; and
(B) Constructed so that no part of the vehicle's
weight and load rests on the motor vehicle.

"541.201 19) "Towable recreational vehicle" means a
Non-motorized vehicle that:
(A) is designed:
(i) to be towable by a motor vehicle; and
(ii) for temporary human habitation for
uses including recreational camping or seasonal use;
(B) is permanently built on a single chassis;
(C) may contain one or more life-support systems;
and
(D) may be used permanently or temporarily for
advertising, selling, displaying, or promoting merchandise or
services, but is not used for transporting property for hire or for
distribution by a private carrier.

So there is a clear difference in the two,
And under inspections required annually the term "towable recreational vehicle" is absent

So any you folks pay 12 a year to get your rv inspected??
And what is your license tag cost, this one is even more trickier. 25 to ???
Per year

If any one can help me translate this please help

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok I have been reading most of the morning about registering my 36rlts in Texas
Link to texas dot
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm

I have been told we get an annual inspection, but can find no reference to "Towable recreational vehicle" under the statute of 548.051 Vehicles, Equipment subject to inspection

It does mention a motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, pole trailer, or mobile home
but no recreational trailer or towable

541.201. VEHICLES verse 20
The definition for a "trailer ""Trailer" means a vehicle, other than a pole
trailer, with or without motive power:
(A) Designed to be drawn by a motor vehicle and to
Transport persons or property; and
(B) Constructed so that no part of the vehicle's
weight and load rests on the motor vehicle.

"541.201 19) "Towable recreational vehicle" means a
Non-motorized vehicle that:
(A) is designed:
(i) to be towable by a motor vehicle; and
(ii) for temporary human habitation for
uses including recreational camping or seasonal use;
(B) is permanently built on a single chassis;
(C) may contain one or more life-support systems;
and
(D) may be used permanently or temporarily for
advertising, selling, displaying, or promoting merchandise or
services, but is not used for transporting property for hire or for
distribution by a private carrier.

So there is a clear difference in the two,
And under inspections required annually the term "towable recreational vehicle" is absent

So any you folks pay 12 a year to get your rv inspected??
And what is your license tag cost, this one is even more trickier. 25 to ???
Per year

If any one can help me translate this please help

Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 548.051. VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.

(a) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home, registered in this state, must have the following items inspected at an inspection station or by an inspector:

(1) tires;
(2) wheel assembly;
(3) safety guards or flaps, if required by Section 547.606;
(4) brake system, including power brake unit;
(5) steering system, including power steering;
(6) lighting equipment;
(7) horns and warning devices;
(8) mirrors;
(9) windshield wipers;
(10) sunscreening devices, unless the vehicle is exempt from sunscreen device restrictions under Section 547.613;
(11) front seat belts in vehicles on which seat belt anchorages were part of the manufacturer's original equipment;
(12) tax decal, if required by Section 548.104(d)(1);
(13) exhaust system;
(14) exhaust emission system;
(15) fuel tank cap, using pressurized testing equipment approved by department rule; and
(16) emissions control equipment as designated by department rule.

(b) A moped is subject to inspection in the same manner as a motorcycle, except that the only items of equipment required to be inspected are the brakes, headlamps, rear lamps, and reflectors, which must comply with the standards prescribed by Sections 547.408 and 547.801.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, 29, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.

This chapter does not apply to:

(1) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license plate or current in-transit license plate;
(2) a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, antique license, temporary 24-hour permit, or permit license;
(3) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home having an actual gross weight or registered gross weight of 4,500 pounds or less;
(4) farm machinery, road-building equipment, a farm trailer, or a vehicle required to display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem under Section 547.703;
(5) a former military vehicle, as defined by Section 502.275;
(6) a vehicle qualified for a tax exemption under Section 152.092, Tax Code; or
(7) a vehicle for which a certificate of title has been issued but that is not required to be registered.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, 30.121(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 963, 1, eff. June 18, 1999;
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1423, 7, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, 19.006, eff. Sept. 1, 2001 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 5th wheel (the license plates say travel trailer) is subject to annual safety inspection per the above since it is registered for over 4500 lbs GVWR. That is the interpretation of the Harris County (Houston) Tax Assessor/Collector's office who would not title my 5th wheel when we moved back to Texas in 1997 without a current safety inspection sticker. Their interpretation is that the 5th wheel comes under the semi-trailer definition of 548.051.

Vehicle registration for the 5th wheel is around $90/year, IIRC.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks
i thought so
hopefully wood county is a bit unconfused
90 is easy 241 here last year was a bit hard to swallow
Old 08-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #5

Hi everyone,
Don't forget if you are disabled and registering in Texas it is possible that you won't have to pay sales tax on your motor vehicle. I can explain more.

1999 Dutch Star 3858 DSDPMH
Jerry_Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #6

When did Texas start the vehicle inspection? I noticed my Open Road and an inspection sticker when I bought it. I never had my Wanderer inspected when I had it. Where do you take them for inspection? The dealer?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Go to the same place you take your automobile.
Sometimes thay will not do it. I used to take mine to a truck repair shop, They have room to look it over. Good luck
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'd suggest calling around to find an inspection station that has the room and is willing to handle an RV.

Many of them don't know how to manipulate the state's computer system to handle a towable RV inspection. Tell them to choose the Motorcycle option - trailers are in that section.

Rusty
Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 AM   #9

The inspection sticker that is applied is the same sticker used on motorcycles (it is surface applied, not the inside of the glass sticker used on cars and trucks). The sticker says motorcycle / trailer. Most car inspection stations will not have these stickers on hand, thus they cannot inspect trailers or motorcycles. In our rural county, no inspection station carries those stickers. RV dealers with service departments are your best bet for inspections. Dont go to a truck stop that advertises inspections... those are the DOT inspections (for 18 wheelers)that are $50 or more and are not for private trailers.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Bit:
RV dealers with service departments are your best bet for inspections. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Robert,

Just to illustrate how this problem gets perpetuated - the Houston RV dealer where we bought our last 2 5th wheels isn't set up as an inspection station. They farm motorhome inspections out to a local inspection station so that a new motorhome will leave their lot carrying the required inspection sticker. However, when I questioned them regarding why our new 5th wheels did NOT have an inspection sticker, I got the "Oh, you don't need one. We never do state inspections on travel trailers or 5th wheels." In both cases, I had to stop on the way home and have the 5th wheels inspected myself.

Rusty
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #11

Rusty,
As you know I am a Texas Peace Officer. I can say that from my observations from being one the last 20 years is that 95% or more of Texas Peace Officers are not aware of (or do not enforce) the inspection requirement for trailers and therefore do not issue citations for "no inspection sticker for trailers". If you got a ticket it would most likely come from a Texas Highway Patrol Officer working traffic, and the traffic stop would have been initiated for another violation such as speeding. This law is just not an issue with the majority of Texas Officers, especially city and county officers. There are many many vehicle related regulations that are just not enforced by your average officer.

Having said all the above...

It IS a legal requirement to have a valid safety inspection sticker displayed on all trailers over 4500 lbs (unless exempted as noted in the previous post.) Failure to comply CAN result in a fine of $1 to $500.

So to summarize....
Is a travel trailer or fifth wheel RV a "trailer" in regards to this requirement? YES
Do people receive citations for this? YES
Do alot of people receive citations for this? NO
Is it a law? YES and it has been on the books for several decades.
Is it easy to find inspection locations that can do a state inspection on trailers? NO

The comments you get from some RV dealers about not really needing one stem from all the above. Legally you need one. Will you ever get a citations for not having one? As Dirty Harry asked "Do you feel lucky?"
Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Bit:
Legally you need one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep. That's why I stopped and had the 5th wheels inspected on the way home - both times!

Rusty
Old 10-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #13

Texas Peace Officer?

What happened to Police Officer?
Have police officers in TX always had this title
or is this a PR change?

Rusty,
As you know I am a Texas Peace Officer. I can say that from my observations from being one the last 20 years is that 95% or more of Texas Peace Officers are not aware of (or do not enforce) the inspection requirement for trailers and therefore do not issue citations for "no inspection sticker for trailers". If you got a ticket it would most likely come from a Texas Highway Patrol Officer working traffic, and the traffic stop would have been initiated for another violation such as speeding. This law is just not an issue with the majority of Texas Officers, especially city and county officers. There are many many vehicle related regulations that are just not enforced by your average officer.

Having said all the above...

It IS a legal requirement to have a valid safety inspection sticker displayed on all trailers over 4500 lbs (unless exempted as noted in the previous post.) Failure to comply CAN result in a fine of $1 to $500.

So to summarize....
Is a travel trailer or fifth wheel RV a "trailer" in regards to this requirement? YES
Do people receive citations for this? YES
Do alot of people receive citations for this? NO
Is it a law? YES and it has been on the books for several decades.
Is it easy to find inspection locations that can do a state inspection on trailers? NO

The comments you get from some RV dealers about not really needing one stem from all the above. Legally you need one. Will you ever get a citations for not having one? As Dirty Harry asked "Do you feel lucky?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Heck, we don't even have Texas DPS "Highway Patrolmen" any more. Now they're politically correct "State Troopers", just like everyone else.

Rusty