Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Being ticketed for texting should have the same consequences as a ticket for DUI, big fine and high risk insurance. Hit them in the wallet, often more effective than hitting them over the head.
I agree 100 percent. Cell phone use on the highway is the same as driving under the influence. The both should be treated equally..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I was watching a news program today. The guest was being asked about this proposed law. He flatly stated that from a practical standpoint it will be unenforceable.
Maybe they could tap into those red light cameras and spy on unsuspecting texters.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #143

Monaco Owners Club
Next thing ya know they'll be using the automated tolling booths to give speeding tickets.
And outlawing listening to the radio while driving.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Great Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...He flatly stated that from a practical standpoint it will be unenforceable.
It is currently enforceable, in a way. I mean, nowadays after an auto mishap, a lawyer will often supeona cell phone records; if there is activity during the time of the accident, that's going to be incriminating.

No matter how the eventual legal discussion goes, the conventional wisdom and civil law remedies are currently in place. First, countless studies and incidents now plainly show that cell phone use while driving is a distraction; second, if you're in an accident and found to be using it at the time of impact, it's gonna get ugly in civil court.

I'm impressed by all the thoughtful responses from various people that rose above the hysteria. Well done!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I can tell you if I still a officer I could do it. I know many officers who could it would be easy.
See a car weaving(at 1:58pm) and pull em over. After you find out they are not drinking or almost asleep ask if they were texing or on the phone.
Of course they will say they were not on the phone. THen you just ask to see thier phone.
inside that phone is where you will find the truth.
I am not for texting while driving, It is one of my major pet peeves! However LEO (law enforcement officers) can only do so much. Heck they don't write tickets for 1/2 the laws already written! How are they going to enforce a no texting law? How can LEO's do it when they can't enforce a couple of laws here that I belive are still on the books in most states? I.E.: Slower traffic keep right, failure to signal, unsafe lane change, passing on the right, tailgaiting, failure to yeild, to name a few..

In the quote above there is a statement made, "just ask for the cell phone.." Well, there is a thing called the constitution that immediately comes to mind.. The right against self incrimination.. All the driver has to do is say NO, I am not showing you.. What is a officer going to do? Take it by force?

There are going to have to be a lot of changes in the laws to stop people for minor things like seatbelts, and cell phones. I am sure it will broaden out to other areas too like CB radios & hams.. GPS devises, PDA's, ect... It's going to get ugly! By the time they get all the laws written the technology will be obsolete and we will be using voice recognition software that will "type" for us.. Then what... people are having multiple conversations going at once. Then everyone will scream we have to stop this... It never ends..

That's all that comes to mind right now after reading this topic...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #146

Gonzo makes an important point. An unenforced law breeds contempt for the rule of law.
I just finished watching a discussion on Fox News about this proposal. One said that nearly the same number of people are killed each year in boating accidents. What will be next, banning boating?
Personal responsibility cannot be legislated; only the free market has the means to accomplish that. For instance, your insurance company puts a clause in your policy stating , "if you have an accident while texting or talking on a wireless device you rates will triple." Money is the main motivator today folks.
Already there is the , no insurance, no drivers license law.
Driving is a state privilege, not a right. Ask any 3-time DUI convict.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #147

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The speed limits are posted at the speed indicated for a reason.
The rules and regulations in driver license manuals are there for a reason.

I don't see this as a factual statement. Where I live there is a narrow hwy with little or no shoulder and many driveway and sideroads entering and a speedlimit of 65 mph. I turn a corner onto a 4 lane road with little access, wide shoulders and median and I can only drive 45 mph. I am sure anyone can recall the same in their area. Very little reasoning goes into setting speed limits. Just my thoughts.

Glenn
Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Maybe they could tap into those red light cameras and spy on unsuspecting texters.
There's the problem.....Today we relay on electronic servailance and you see fewer and fewer officers patroling the roads. If they were, you'd see less road rage, more people acting responsibily, and maybe more people following the laws.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #149

All they have to do is 1-make court appearance mandatory to inconvenience them and 2-confiscate the cell phone as evidence until the case is completed.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #150

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
All they have to do is 1-make court appearance mandatory to inconvenience them and 2-confiscate the cell phone as evidence until the case is completed.
Don't know if confiscating the phone would work or not, but sure made me laugh reading it. I think some people would cease to function without their phone.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
The court appearance might work, but my daughter is a teacher and has a drawer full of cell phones confiscated from her students. They just don't care. They have a Wal Mart cheapie the next day. They know they'll get theirs back eventually.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #152
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you need further proof of the danger of texting-while-driving, just look at the "So sad" thread above!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #153

After following this thead, and reading the many responses, I think it would be interesting to see how many that have responded use their cell phones while driving. Let's see who will step to the plate and answer that question.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #154
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
After following this thead, and reading the many responses, I think it would be interesting to see how many that have responded use their cell phones while driving. Let's see who will step to the plate and answer that question.
I will be the first to confess. I don't make a call without parking first but do answer and make it short, usually less than a minute. (yes I know that is plenty of time to get into trouble)

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote