Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #155

That is one reason why I have voice message.Nothing is so important it can't wait for me to find a safe place to pull off and call back.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #156

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Wife works at the DMV and issues drivers license and when she is issuing driving permits to first time drivers the teenagers are usually texting their friends while my Wife is trying to explain the process. These teenagers are with their parents and the parents won't even tell the kids to stop texting and have even gotten upset when their kids have been asked to stop texting because the information she is giving them is very important. Usually when the teenager and parent return to take the test after completing drivers school they didn't bring any of the required information because they were not listening and can't take the test. You can guess who they blame for not having the required information and not able to take the test, the kid is still texting while the parent is calling my Wife names because their poor child can't get their license. If they text while applying for their license what are the odds they will be texting while driving. It is illegal to text and drive in our city but I see it all the time.

Ron
Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #157

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
After following this thead, and reading the many responses, I think it would be interesting to see how many that have responded use their cell phones while driving. Let's see who will step to the plate and answer that question.
We have only one cellphone in our household, and my wife carries it in her purse when we are in the car, she does all the answering and calling if necessary. I have can truthfuly say, I have never used a cell phone while driving. Not for voice, not for text (don't know how to text). I'll admit to being an old codger, and have managed to get along just fine in this world without a cell phone for a lonnnng looooonnnnng time. I don't have an answer to preventing cellphone use while driving. Many today consider having cell service an absolute necessity of life, and will not do without it, even while driving.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #158

Today happens to be the 11th anniversary of the day I was rear-ended by a teenage dimbulb who happened to be talking on her cell phone.
I've had a total of 7 epidural injections to my cervical spine, have had chiropractic & accupuncture treatments, all to no avail. I did win a lawsuit but would gladly return the $$ if it would mean the end of the pain I suffer 24/7 as a result of the accident.
I believe a public flogging should be punishment for talking or texting while driving. Barring that, a substantial fine as well as a loss of driving privileges, perhaps for a month or more, should be the penalty for a 1st offense.
Despite a ban on talking or texting here in the Garden State it has gotten totally out of control. One cannot drive more than a mile or so without seeing someone weaving from lane to lane with a cell phone glued to their ear or texting.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #159
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I think this is a generational thing.
I see this all the time. it appears to me to people close to half may age.
I see people in thier 20s doing it all the time. I don't see folks in the thier 40s doing it.
Most people, as they mature, do get smarter.....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #160

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As mentioned, in California cell phone use is prohibited, however I drive a pickup and see texting, reading, eating, shaving, makeup application and some things that cannot be described in a family publication. Monetary penalties don't deter so the answer is jail or public service. Nuf Sed!

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #161

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
As mentioned, in California cell phone use is prohibited, however I drive a pickup and see texting, reading, eating, shaving, makeup application and some things that cannot be described in a family publication. Monetary penalties don't deter so the answer is jail or public service. Nuf Sed!

Don
I don't believe that even those would help. I personally don't see much difference between intoxicated driving and driving while texting as the results can be the same.

I'll go further and say that no punishment, even public flogging would act as a deterrent. What it is going to take to stop this is public indignation over it. Heck, we cannot even stop people from doing it in a supermarket checkout line. I've tried confronting people in checkout lines texting or taking on their cell phone particularly when their inattention to the cashier trying to interact with them was slowing up the checkout process. I was often greeted by self-entitled anger. If others in the line had been willing to chime in about the texting/talking person, that person would have been less likely to try it again. Now, I just mind my business and let them carry out. Society doesn't seem to care. The self-centered people will keep doing it until society changes. 100 more laws on the subject will make no difference.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #162

As the one who suggested it originally my vote is for public flogging.

The wife & I went to the movies last week & were surrounded by people, mostly young, who were texting during the show. How annoying is that? I spoke up, the offenders moved over a few seats & just continued with their texts. Flogging is the solution!
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

I too hate it when I'm around young folks who spend most of their time engrossed in texting. Funny story:

This past weekend I took my future SIL out to play golf. It was his first time playing. We were at the driving range warming up. He clearly needed all of the help he could get but seemed to be spending more time with his nose glued to his smart phone than he did hitting balls.

I had had enough and walked over to him to suggest that he focus on the task at hand... which was to learn how to hit a golf ball.

As I neared him I could hear audio. It turns out he had googled golf tips and was getting a lesson from his phone.

Sorry to go off topic but I thought it was pretty funny.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #164

"I left the kids part out because three screaming kids is punishment enough." Been there! Our three are 14 months from oldest to youngest, and there were a few times when all three were screaming. When that happened we discovered that the car started slowing down. When it stopped, three spankings were administered. Funny, the car only stopped once.

Yes, when they were babies and couldn't tell us what was wrong, we did pull over and check diapers. I'm referring to when they were old enough to understand "be quiet!" All three remember this, too, and they are in their mid-20's now.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #165

"How about the guy with coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other steering with his knee." I'll go you one better. During the 1962-63 school year, I was in 7th grade and rode the school bus. Our route took us past the principal's house. More than once we followed him as he drove to school, a cup of coffee in one hand, his battery-operated shaver in the other, a cigarette in his mouth, and knees steering the car. I don't know if the radio was on, too, but probably was. What a wonderful example he set for all of us. Sometimes I wonder if he ever knew who was behind him.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #166

Almost run over in Wallyworld last week by a little{not really that little} old lady on her cell phone in an electric wheelchair.She was staring at the phone going as fast as the chair would go .Saw her coming and moved.I'm sure the call was very important.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #167
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Almost run over in Wallyworld last week by a little{not really that little} old lady on her cell phone in an electric wheelchair.She was staring at the phone going as fast as the chair would go .Saw her coming and moved.I'm sure the call was very important.
Us old folks don't multitask as well as the young ones.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote