Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True story: Woman talking on her cell phone (Back in the wired into car phone days) doing about 90MPH on I-96 near the M-14/I-275 interchange in Livonia, MI. manages to park her car... on it's roof.

But the cell phone still works and she's still talking on it.. Michigan State police arrive and she's still talking on it, Obviously injured, hanging upside down (like the guys in the NationWide vanishing deductable commercical) but still yacking away on her cell phone.. EMS arrives and gets the door open, cuts the seat belt to get her out but she's still yacking on the cell phone.. Finally they had to "Cut the umbilical cord" (Handset cable) in order to take her to hospital.

Some folks just do not get it.

In bad weather I'm looking for directions to a sledding hill for my daughter.

I found a parking spot.. THEN reached for the bag set.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with anti-texting laws is that for the most part they are unenforceable mandates. They are, while a great idea, laws that are passed by politicians who know that they will never be enforced. I have yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket or going to jail for texting or using a cell phone while driving.
And I'm not blaming the LEOs, in all likelihood it's the courts failing to prosecute. I'm sure most police officers have seen the effects of accidents caused by texting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Texting Epidemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park View Post

Sorry for the rant but I had to share this to lower my blood pressure.
No need to apologize: one of the wife's employees buried her daughter after a friend wandered into oncoming traffic while texting. Everyone in the other car also died: a family with young children.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
There are safe driver apps for smartphones that disable cellphone use if the user is moving faster than 5mph. Should be mandatory for anyone caught texting and driving.
MrIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think this is a generational thing.
I see this all the time. it appears to me to people close to half may age.
I see people in thier 20s doing it all the time. I don't see folks in the thier 40s doing it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The problem with anti-texting laws is that for the most part they are unenforceable mandates. They are, while a great idea, laws that are passed by politicians who know that they will never be enforced......
I can tell you if I still a officer I could do it. I know many officers who could it would be easy.
See a car weaving(at 1:58pm) and pull em over. After you find out they are not drinking or almost asleep ask if they were texing or on the phone.
Of course they will say they were not on the phone. THen you just ask to see thier phone.
inside that phone is where you will find the truth.

Did you know that in may citys in the summer more DUIs are spotted by officers on bicycles than officers in cars. Drivers are just not looking to avoid bicyclist officers like they are to officer driving cruisers.
the bike cops usually just pull beside them at red lights. and sees drinking and or bottles first hand.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Hi all, I totally agree with all of the comments and concerns. There certainly is an obsession with texting, talking on a cell while driving. But we all have an obligation to stay alert and not be distracted by anything, including, radios, CDs, conversing with passengers, trying to control the kids etc.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The problem with anti-texting laws is that for the most part they are unenforceable mandates. They are, while a great idea, laws that are passed by politicians who know that they will never be enforced. I have yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket or going to jail for texting or using a cell phone while driving.
And I'm not blaming the LEOs, in all likelihood it's the courts failing to prosecute. I'm sure most police officers have seen the effects of accidents caused by texting.
A salesman that use to work for me was on the phone with me when he said "I'll have to call you back, I'm being pulled over for talking on my cell phone".

Chicago Police issued him a ticket. Can't remember for sure but seems like it was $200.00 +. He fought it and lost.

Fortunately for him it was before we adopted the immediate termination policy for phone use while driving a company vehicle.

I support penalties similar to those for drunk driving.

I bet most of those doing it think they are in complete control of their vehicle and believe they have a total awareness of what's happening around them, just like drunk drivers do.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #37

Its funny, I wonder what all of those phone conversations are all about.. On Wed, before Thanksgiving, I was at the light and started counting the cars passing by. 7 out of 10 had a phone to their ears. As a biker, one has to look everywhere these days, on coming, in the rear and on all sides. Someone, somewhere need to pass a law to lock these phones while moving.
geejdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Her in WA it's illegal to talk or text on a cell phone. They did however, leave me an out: it's legal for persons using hearing aids to drive and talk on a cell phone. I have two hearing aids. I even carry a copy of th e law with me just in case.
BUT, I still don't do it, I ignore the phone and pull over when safe, then check my messages. If needed I'll call them back from the side of the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park View Post
Yesterday my wife and I were on our way home from shopping and while crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge a car started drifting in our lane. After blowing the horn and being driven out of my lane I pulled along side the car looked over and here was a young lady texting away and she never lifted her head from the cell phone and continued to text only looking up briefly to look at the road.

I just wonder what she would say if she hit someone head on and killed them "sorry"!!

It seems to me that the laws for texting while driving should be as strict as the DUI laws and a loss of licensee for six months should be imposed for the first offense.

Sorry for the rant but I had to share this to lower my blood pressure.
It's likely that she would not have said that she was sorry, but she might have texted her friends asking why that idiot didn't get out of her way!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

Cell phone and texting laws by state.

Found the following laws pertaining to school bus drivers interesting.

School Bus Drivers: Bus drivers in 19 states and D.C. may not use a cell phone when passengers are present.

School Bus Drivers: 3 states restrict school bus drivers from texting while driving.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
This is a very sore subject with me. Texting, talkin, and hands free are all dangerous, very dangerous.

Reasoning: I had a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. It had a "hands free" built in telephone. You pushed a little button on the drivers door post and the radio would mute and the phone was activated. You could say the name or number to call. I really liked that item, however; I'd leave work, push he button, call the wife and ask if there was anything she would need. We would maybe spend 5, 10 15 minutes talking about the day, what was needed, what we were doing that evening, etc. Then, I'd hang up, and become aware of my surroundings. I could not remember any detailed information about that 5, 10, 15 minute trip. I was driving by instinct.

That is the problem with today's cell phone use. The majority of people using a cell phone in any fashion are driving by instinct. They are oblivious to their surroundings. You can see this especially when traveling on an major highway and they are in the left hand lane doing 50 mph in a 65 mph zone, oblivious to anything behind, in front, or around them. Just as soon as they hang up, if you can catch one in this time frame, they will accelerate to the speed limit. I wonder why then never use cruise control, but then they are still unsafe.

Personally, cell phone use while driving should be banned for any use unless you pull off the road and use it while not moving, if you are the driver.

Our house phone is forwarded to my cell phone. When we are on the road and my cell phone rings, DW is the one who answers it. If it is for me she tells them I'm driving and I'll call them back when I can.

There should be a nation wide law that bans the use of a cell phone by a driver.

Just my rant!
I agree 100%, very well said.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Her in WA it's illegal to talk or text on a cell phone. They did however, leave me an out: it's legal for persons using hearing aids to drive and talk on a cell phone. I have two hearing aids. I even carry a copy of th e law with me just in case.
BUT, I still don't do it, I ignore the phone and pull over when safe, then check my messages. If needed I'll call them back from the side of the road.
I'm not trying to be rude, but how is that any safer?

From what I'm told, parts of Canada have a blanket law that will get you for driving while distracted. That covers everything from changing the radio station, eating, or playing with your phone. It seems like THAT is the best way to pull off a law of this sorts.