Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #43

Yesterday I was driving the 20 minutes home from my daughters, in a car, following a middle aged woman holding a cell phone to her ear the entire time. Twenty minutes on the phone. She kept swaying in the lane both right and left, often crossing over without any care in the world. She was driving road posted speed of about 50mph, and it was not safe to pass, so I just hung back and watched the show. Sadly, all I could think about was the fact that I forgot to pack a body bag in case there was an accident.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Yesterday I was driving the 20 minutes home from my daughters, in a car, following a middle aged woman holding a cell phone to her ear the entire time. Twenty minutes on the phone. She kept swaying in the lane both right and left, often crossing over without any care in the world. She was driving road posted speed of about 50mph, and it was not safe to pass, so I just hung back and watched the show. Sadly, all I could think about was the fact that I forgot to pack a body bag in case there was an accident.
My friend's dad use to tell us "if you're on the phone more than 5 minutes, you're just BS'ing".

Can't imagine what could be so important that you are willing to risk your life to talk about.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the comment "She may have texted about why the idiot would not get out of her way....."

On of the 9-1-1 calls I got when that was my office phone was from a man reporting a drunk driver "Weaving all over the road" We noticed the caller was sluring his words slightly... but then I have a good friend, a trooper, who does that stone sober.. (He is a good story in himself but not today)

Well.. Troopers caught up with the caller and the very sober and good driver he was following. .. Arrested the caller (OUI) and .. Off they took him to jail.

In another thread, in another forum, I ask the question: Why chase 'em down when they come to you and turn themselves in?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #46

That question is...What did we do before we had cell phones?????
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #47

Unfortunately, distracted driving is not limited to cell phone voice or text messages. Yesterday a woman was killed when "The Florida Highway Patrol says a woman who was changing a CD caused a fatal wreck on Florida's Turnpike." This was not a youngster, either, but rather a 55 year old. Link to story is FHP: Distracted driver causes fatal crash | www.wftv.com

Be careful out there.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejdee View Post
Its funny, I wonder what all of those phone conversations are all about.. On Wed, before Thanksgiving, I was at the light and started counting the cars passing by. 7 out of 10 had a phone to their ears. As a biker, one has to look everywhere these days, on coming, in the rear and on all sides. Someone, somewhere need to pass a law to lock these phones while moving.
I also ride. Almost without exception the times I am cut off, cars weaving, sitting at green lights, etc the driver is distracted--usually with a cellphone. Sometimes with food or makeup.

I do not believe more laws are the answer. The motion detector shutoff is OK but what if I am in the backseat?? Handsfree does not address the distraction of the conversation itself. The distracted driving laws should apply in any case. People just need to be less selfish about their lives. Realize that what they do or don't do can and will affect others. Like anything else--good luck with that. Maybe a couple of high-profile lawsuits will wake folks up...............
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScott View Post
. People just need to be less selfish about their lives. Realize that what they do or don't do can and will affect others. Like anything else--good luck with that. Maybe a couple of high-profile lawsuits will wake folks up...............
EGGS-ACTLY! But those offenders don't think it will ever happen to them and the collateral victims will continue to pay for other's selfishness. It's ALL about them.

On occasion, I've had to pull over to let a cell phone user that was RIGHT on my tail feathers to pass on by. I'll slow down hoping they'll pass. If not, I make it a point to slow down nice and easy and then pull off to the side of the road. They usually appreciate this and let me know(visually)that I'm number 1 in their book. I DON'T care...get 'em in FRONT of me! I hate body shops and insurance claims I should not have had to use. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #50

The difference between a drunk behind the wheel and the cell phone while driving is the odor that is emitted. They both stink.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but how is that any safer?

From what I'm told, parts of Canada have a blanket law that will get you for driving while distracted. That covers everything from changing the radio station, eating, or playing with your phone. It seems like THAT is the best way to pull off a law of this sorts.
Notice I never said it was safer nor that I did it, in fact I specifically said I didn't do it. We also have the "driving distracted" law in add'n.
And no, it's not any safer for me to drive with a phone to my ear just because I have dual hearing aids.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The problem with anti-texting laws is that for the most part they are unenforceable mandates. They are, while a great idea, laws that are passed by politicians who know that they will never be enforced. I have yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket or going to jail for texting or using a cell phone while driving.
And I'm not blaming the LEOs, in all likelihood it's the courts failing to prosecute. I'm sure most police officers have seen the effects of accidents caused by texting.
You don't live around here or you'd see the reports in the newspapers!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
I work on the Interstate every day. It only seems to get worse. So many people in such a hurry.
Well, it's been ate least 30 years since I worked out there, but we still saw people reading books, newspapers and women putting on makeup way back then.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Texting and inattentive drivers are why there are those of us that put railroad air horns on our rigs . Don't even need to lay on it like a turd, either, a quick, 3-5 second blast usually does enough to get their attention. If they continue to drift into my space, then I lay on it along with the brakes.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #55

I found that driving a stick shift will make the driver run out of hands to do anything but operate the vehicle. Calls on my phone have to wait.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Text Messaging and Driving - Texting Can Wait | AT&T

Here is a very powerful video on the AT&T site. It should be enough to convince anyone not to text and drive. Make you kids and grandkids sit and watch it for their own safety.

Ken

Ken