Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
I never text when driving the MH. I am to busy watching the VMSpc info on the Laptop and the GPS info running on another Laptop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #72

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56
I never text when driving the MH. I am to busy watching the VMSpc info on the Laptop and the GPS info running on another Laptop.
In my province that would be considered driving while distracted under the new distracted driving law.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Some of my closest calls have been on the side streets commuting to and from work - it's not just the superslabs that are a problem.

Rusty
Nope, this is true, but they're more concentrated on the superslabs at the higher speeds than they are, at least in my experience on the side streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I broke down on I-80 East of Reno. Thank God my cell phone worked so I could call for help. We sat on the side of the Hwy for 4 hours waiting for a tow truck and NOT ONE vehicle stopped to check on us. At least 3 Nevada Highway Patrol cars passed us and they didn't stop. I had the 4 way flashers on and cones out. I suppose I could have taken my chance's trying to flag down someone?
What would have done back in say 1991, when cellphones were a novelty? Once you answer that question, you'd know what to do if Cellphones stopped working on an interstate.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #74

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
You don't need to shut down phones while driving, just make it a legal requirement that highways and interstates are celllular dead zones.

No Signal = No texting or jabbering on the phone.
Bad idea. No one would be able to use the phones for emergencies.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #75

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...What would have done back in say 1991, when cellphones were a novelty? Once you answer that question, you'd know what to do if Cellphones stopped working on an interstate.
Would you want your wife or daughter stranded on the road miles from anywhere unable to call for help? Just because the technology wasn't available in '91 doesn't mean it's not a good idea now as long as it's not abused.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I expect them to be prepared to take care of themselves in a situation where convenient technology doesn't work so they don't end up like the people who trust in it wholeheartedly with no backup plan, like the couple a few years back that got themselves lost on a logging road in Oregon by blinding following GPS.

In all our family vehicles there's emergency kits with water, food, thermal blankets, basic tools and spare ammunition. We also carry basic spare parts on all our vehicles, spare belts, new hoses, extra coolant, wires and other things to jury rig a temporary fix.

We all know how to read maps and have a set plan to enact if things go wrong. We plot out our routes on paper and set our expected times so that if something DOES go wrong, like a breakdown on I-80 in the middle of BFN Nevada, we have a means of recovery and safety.

She knows and I know what to do. We grew up without cellphones and she still doesn't have one. I have one due to work, has a 400 minute plan, maybe a 100 minutes get used a month.

this all worked for my folks, we broke down back in the 90s with no cellphones and an old 80s Suburban when a belt went and took almost all of the rest with it. We used tire irons to get the remains of one belt on good enough to drive the water pump and alternator and limped down the road till we found an exit. This was on I-80 crossing Wyoming in July, middle of the night.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #77

iRV2 No Limits Club
I rarely use my cell phone. It stays turned off until I actually do use it or I'm expecting a call on it (both being pretty rare). It still gives me a comfortable feeling knowing that if I'm ever in a jam, I'll be able to call for help.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Short of jamming the signal on interstates the problem will still exist. People nowadays have the attitude that it can't happen to me. It usually takes a horrific accident or very near miss to make them realize the danger. If they were to jam the signals someone would just find technology around it anyway. If it isn't cell phones and texting it will be something else. Maybe we should go back to the old cars that you had to pay more attention to what you are doing. They even have technology that parks your car now and warnings that you are approaching a collision. Used to be you had to be a good driver and pay attention.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Distracted drivers will exist no matter what technology exists. Just a few months ago I walked away from a motorcycle wreck caused by a distracted driver that probably should have killed me. I am still against government deciding what is best for me by cutting off technology that might help me in an emergency. You might think that your loved ones are prepared for an emergency without technology, but consider watching someone you love bleed out without having the ability to summon aid and you might change your mind.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
How does this solve anything? What if the passenger wants to use the texting function of a cell phone, kids in the back seat, etc.
Too bad. Sorry. There is nothing so important that it can't wait till we stop. I'm old enough to remember having to stop to use the phone. Worked just fine back then.

Quote:
A bad driver is a bad driver whether or not using a phone. A distracted driver is distracted whether applying chapstick, dialing in a new radio station, eating, drinking, or anything else.
True that, however, those distractions are momentary.. Few people spend 45 minutes dialing in a radio station, or doing any of those other things.

Quote:
The real issue is much bigger, how to get drivers to pay attention to driving. And the last thing we want is drivers in the fast lane receiving a call and cutting everybody off without warning as they head for the shoulder and hope to stop before they lose the call. That is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than just taking a call.
They would not receive a call in the fast lane, because their phone would be disabled. They'll find out about their missed call next time they stop.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #81

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As of December 23, 2011 a new law will take effect. It will ban the use of hand held cell phones by interstate truck and bus drivers. The fine will be $2750.00. The company I work for has warned us of this, and included all DOT drivers in their policy of cell phone bans while driving.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #82

Quote:
What would have done back in say 1991, when cell phones were a novelty? Once you answer that question, you'd know what to do if Cell phones stopped working on an interstate.
The problem with this thinking is that there has been quite a societal change since 1991. People just will NOT stop for people on the side of the road anymore. In the late '80s and early '90s my parents (yeah, I'm a bit young) would stop to help people with us kids in the car. They even picked up hitchhikers a few times that I remember. Fast forward to nowadays, you hear on the news about good samaritans getting robbed or worse for trying to help. I'm not sure if it is more prevalent today or if it is the news over-reporting sensational stories, but I know that I always think twice before stopping (though I have done it before, usually if I am driving WITH the wife but WITHOUT the kids).

BTW - I have a cell phone, but won't touch it if I'm driving. I would like to be able to call the wife or my work or AAA if I have a problem on the road, so I think it a bit much to stop cell phones from being usable on the freeway or other roads. A much better angle would be to more consistently enforce the distracted driver laws already on the books. (How about, if your passenger takes video of someone texting or talking on their phone and sends it to the cops in real-time so the nearest cruiser could stop them with proof of their crime... There should be an App for that!!).
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #83

Today I saw the ultimate in Foley Alabama. A young police officer in his cruiser stopped at an intersection, past the stop sign, on the crosswalk, almost in the cross roadway. People had to walk around his cruiser to cross the street. The officer was busy talking on his cell phone and waiting for traffic to clear so he could continue on his way. It was apparant that he was not in any hurry. I always thought that they were the people that are suppose to set the example. You can not enforce distracted driving while you're driving while distracted. That is where the porblem is.......
Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #84

If the are like around here there are a lot of them that think they are law enforcers there fore they do not have to be abiders.